C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Use of Electric Fan Heater To Speed De-Icing Of Windscreen

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Sun Dec 20 2009, 11:33pm
Member No: #21
Hi I have an electric fan heater which plugs into cigar lighter socket. The aim is to speed the melting of the ice prior to moving off in the mornings.It claims to be 200W (ie 17 Amps) which should be OK given that this circuit is fused at 30 Amps. I'm a little bit wary of this Chinese heater as it blew a few fuses on previous car. Anybody using something similar?
C6Dave   
Mon Dec 21 2009, 08:03am

Member No: #1
No but could do with one.

I was considering one of these - Click Here - as it has it's own in line fuse
Website
tonyrome   
Mon Dec 21 2009, 09:34am
Member No: #15
I always liked the heated front windscreens, which Ford offered, but I haven't seen them on many other cars.
gmerry   
Mon Dec 21 2009, 09:55pm
Member No: #21
Electric Heater worked a treat. A patch slowly thawed on the screen, long before any heat came from the engine. Don't expect a quick getaway. It's still necessary to wait several minutes.

G
bdeithrick   
Mon Mar 15 2010, 06:04pm
Member No: #70
A tip as a sparks myself, if its rated at 30amps then the car is fine to power it.

Tip. plug it in before switching it on, then start it at low and up the speed or settings slowly, this way you dont over surge the fuses.

I.E if you plug it in on full, the power surge will most likely blow any quick blow fuses inline

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club