C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Power steering and suspension failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Davet49   
Thu Sep 07 2023, 07:36pm
Member No: #3695
Today I noticed a puddle under the o/s/f wheel of my C6. It was clearly some sort of hydraulic fluid. The engine started but when I tried to elevate the suspension nothing happened. I also found that the power steering had failed. The only warning message related to the suspension. I drove the car slowly home and it was not a pleasant experience! Any suggestions? Do the power steering and the suspension share the same hydraulic fluid?
MGmike   
Thu Sep 07 2023, 09:07pm
Member No: #3151
Yes the steering and suspension share the same LDS fluid.
I'm assuming it was a big puddle as the LDS tank holds about 5 ltrs! Has the front suspension dropped or is it still close to ride height?

Either way, you'll need to remove the arch liner to check the pipe in the bottom of the tank and all the other pipes in there for signs of a leak. Worst case is to add a Ltr of LDS and see where it comes out.

Davet49   
Fri Sep 08 2023, 07:39am
Member No: #3695
Thanks Mike. It was a big puddle and yes, the front suspension has dropped. It's booked in with my mechanic next Friday so I will pass on your comments. I should probably know the answer to this, but is LDS a proprietary fluid or will other hydraulic fluids be acceptable as a substitute?
cruiserphil   
Fri Sep 08 2023, 08:52am

Member No: #38
Hello Davet49,

It must be LDS fluid but it is supplied by various manufacturers and available in motor factors so you don't have to buy from Citroen.

Best regards,

Phil C.
MGmike   
Fri Sep 08 2023, 01:18pm
Member No: #3151
Davet49 wrote ...

Thanks Mike. It was a big puddle and yes, the front suspension has dropped. It's booked in with my mechanic next Friday so I will pass on your comments.

Hmm not good news!
It sounds like you've burst one of the high pressure pipes to or from the front stiffness regulator. My bet is on the pipe from the pump to the stiffness regulator at the flexible section. I doubt it'll be available from Citroen and the only solution will be a good used one from somewhere.

Best of luck with it.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club