Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

2.7 V6 modifications. First ''full tank of diesel'' report.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Wantathreelitre   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 05:29pm
Member No: #3179
Well the C6 duly got it's 2 EGRs blanked off and the DPF removed, (although it still looks like it's there). The engine was re-mapped at the same time, not only to prevent fault lights or reduced power mode, but also to release circa 30 bhp that was being strangled as standard.
Thoughts so far are that except for the first second or two from a standstill, it now feels very much like the 3.0 engine. There is a little less lag, but there is certainly much smoother and stronger power up through 2,000 and especially 3,000 rpm. It's definitely usefully quicker in cut and thrust driving conditions and economy is certainly not worse. Early indications are that it's a little better for mpg.
I was concerned about smoke but the car is virtually smoke-free.
Yes i know it's very naughty and all that, but the place that did mine have done in excess of 300 so far, so an awful lot of people are getting cars which run better albeit outside the rules.
gmerry   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 05:44pm
Member No: #21
Here's a question: Does the C6 need more power? Its already a pretty slippery shape managing circa 143mph on "just" 206bhp, 2.7 model.

OK, I can understand better torque delivery low down in the rev range, but this has nothing (little) to do with peak power.

ALL answers much appreciated.
rosecut   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 05:54pm
Member No: #2520
Had mine re-mapped last year, very pleased with results.As you say not quite so much hesitation from standstill, then she picks up her skirts and flies.
I started a thread called "mapping" in Garage about a year ago, makes interesting reading....
Wantathreelitre   
Thu Jul 06 2017, 07:28pm
gmerry wrote ...

Here's a question: Does the C6 need more power? Its already a pretty slippery shape managing circa 143mph on "just" 206bhp, 2.7 model.

OK, I can understand better torque delivery low down in the rev range, but this has nothing (little) to do with peak power.

ALL answers much appreciated.

When a car weighs almost 2 tonnes it's always nice to have some more power, especially mid-range power, if it is done without any downsides. This can happen if the map you give a car is too wild and problems then vary from minor to catastrophic.
Most of my 150+ cars have been re-mapped if they have been turbocharged, petrol and diesel and the only issues i have had were with 2 petrol cars where the maps were too radical and then led to in one case overheating (Golf GTI) and the other a broken drive shaft (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 400).
For a modest outlay this car is now smoother, faster, gruntier and has less lag. It's a no-brainer.
e3steve   
Fri Jul 07 2017, 07:37am
Member No: #1163
I often toyed with the idea of re-mapping, but I really felt that I could spend that £350 more wisely elsewhere; especially when C6Steve was going through its ninety-thousand-mile menopause! Thankfully, I seem to have managed to stay on top of things. She's now 113k-miles and pretty sweet.

Colc's, which lives in South Shields (it's a twinnie of mine, but registered later in 2006; he brings it to me, in Hampshire, a couple of times a year), is re-mapped -- 250hp. It feels quicker. Livelier. But, in practice, it ain't.

His overall economy is showing as being 1mpg better, but I still have the upper hand when it comes to trips. By 4mpg! Col's best is 43.5...

Trainman   
Fri Jul 07 2017, 08:58am

Member No: #86
When I had mine done, it was for economy, and it's worked........ my average (according to the on board computer) has risen from 32.9mpg to 39.2mpg and if we go on a fairly longish trip and I behave I have had 50.5mpg.

The power delivery, from a standing start is much better.......... at least to me....
Wantathreelitre   
Fri Jul 07 2017, 05:06pm
I had a good run in the C6 today and even the pedal feel has changed. The car just feels so de-clogged now, which of course, it is. It has 234 bhp @ 4,350 rpm so that's quite a good improvement really for the cost of 3 tanks of diesel.
e3steve   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 08:21am
Member No: #1163
Off-the-grid performance would, for me, be something of a boon. I've posted before, that getting out of the drive onto the A27 is a bit of a challenge, what with t o s s e r s yomping up the incline from Lower Swanwick to Sarisbury Green at 45+mph (it's b l o o d y 30, knobheads!).

Colin's is livelier 'off the line', but not beyond about 20mph.

I win through roundabouts though...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club