C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Rear Anti-Roll Bar Drop Links

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Dan595   
Fri Mar 14 2014, 10:43am
Member No: #299
I had one of these changed under warranty at about 30,000 miles, and now - at 130,000 miles, I need another one doing. Main dealer has quoted what seems an excessive price. Is this a straightforward job that I can do myself? I've done just about everything on a 2CV and GSA, but very little on the C6 (it's not really needed it). I have a Lexia unit.

Thanks for any advice, Dan

2.2 Exclusive manual
rogerandoutman   
Fri Mar 14 2014, 12:13pm
Member No: #466
its a simple job, you need a alan key and socket or ring spanner. Take approx 15 mins each side, longest job is jacking up car and fitting axle stands and removing wheel. Dont forget to put car on highest suspension setting before fitting jack. I used a small hydraulic jack between body work and roll bar to align the link with the roll bar. I have replaced mine twice. Rock autos, a US company, supply European units direct from UK in about 2 days, they are well priced and seem to last. Avoid Asian units sold on Ebay, theydont last
Dan595   
Wed Mar 19 2014, 09:02pm
Well, I've done it. Easy enough apart from the lower bolts were badly corroded, had to really fight with them. Used Lemforder links from Euro Car Parts, looked identical to the ones I removed.

Anyone else thinking of doing this job, the Torx wrench you need is T30. Get two, you might break one (I did). In the end I peeled back the dustcover on the link and held the stud with a mole wrench.

Thanks to rogerandoutman for the info.

Dan
gmerry   
Wed Mar 26 2014, 09:30pm
Member No: #21
Hi Dan, I've had this rattle/rumble for about 8 months. Your post prompted me to get it fixed. Two off TRW droplinks from Eurocarparts for £36 total and the job is done. I used your technique of peeling back the rubber boot on the old links and gripping the shaft with molegrips. A ratchet ring spanner speeds up the job.

Thanks
G
Dan595   
Fri Mar 28 2014, 05:08pm
Pleased to say that changing these two seemingly innocuous links has made a big difference to my car. Not just the rattle at the back, but several sympathetic rattles in the cabin appear to have disappeared as well.
gmerry   
Sat Mar 29 2014, 09:55am
Dan, the two links I removed did not even have any noticeable wear: but the replacement has sure got rid of the rattle/rumble.

Thanks
G
travlician   
Sat Mar 29 2014, 09:01pm
Member No: #350
Is it just the rear ones that tend to wear? I do have serous rattle in suspension but so far have not found where it's coming from. Any testing tips?
rogerandoutman   
Sun Mar 30 2014, 01:47pm
Member No: #466
I am on my third set, but the fronts are original, 55,000 miles.
If you remove them there is very little sign of obvious wear, but replacing them make a world of difference to any knocks or bangs
gmerry   
Mon Mar 31 2014, 07:29am
I would 2nd Roger's view.

Prior to replacing rear's, I could just about detect a knock if I banged the ARB with the side of my fist (on the lever arm part of the ARB). The only reason I decided to replace them was because I had purchased the replacements but what a difference in the ride.

Regards
G
321dave   
Mon Jan 02 2017, 10:33am
Member No: #614
gmerry wrote ...

I would 2nd Roger's view.

Prior to replacing rear's, I could just about detect a knock if I banged the ARB with the side of my fist (on the lever arm part of the ARB). The only reason I decided to replace them was because I had purchased the replacements but what a difference in the ride.

Regards
G

Hi G, just reading up on the posts as I'm suspecting the rear drop links on the C6 are old now and need replacement. Rubber bushes also in the rear anti-roll bar look old and tired as well and in need of replacement.

Dave
gmerry   
Mon Jan 02 2017, 12:29pm
Hi Dave, all the best for the new year.

Changing the rear drop links is fairly straightforward (but lift the entire rear of the car, both sides evenly, to avoid twisting the ARB).

I'm not sure that changing the ARB bushes would be so easy as you presumably need to work the bushes along the bar. I'd post a separate ask for this part of the job to see who has done the job and what is involved.

regards

321dave   
Mon Jan 02 2017, 12:43pm
Member No: #614
gmerry wrote ...

Hi Dave, all the best for the new year.

Changing the rear drop links is fairly straightforward (but lift the entire rear of the car, both sides evenly, to avoid twisting the ARB).

I'm not sure that changing the ARB bushes would be so easy as you presumably need to work the bushes along the bar. I'd post a separate ask for this part of the job to see who has done the job and what is involved.

regards

Thanks G, for the great maintenance tips in 2016 and all the best to you also for the new year. The clock starts today for some more repairs on the C6 while I have a few days left on holidays, this time the rear end of the car is getting some much needed attention, as the front end has improved considerably with the coolant leaks all sorted for the moment.

Dave

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club