Gearbox Oils

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
David Hallworth   
Mon Feb 22 2016, 11:45am

Member No: #90
Right,

I've been pondering the idea of doing a gearbox oil change on the C5 since I've had it and thought I'd ask the question about oil!

For the 3.0 HDi Citroen charge a staggering £94 for 2 litres of oil which is just ridiculous. They also claim that the oil in the 2.7 and 3.0 HDi gearboxes aren't compatible and shouldn't be mixed.

I went and spoke to Millers Oils Technical Team in Yorkshire about gearbox oil and they've sent me a spec sheet which shows it as being compatible with both variants of the gearbox.

- Click Here -

The 2.7 gearbox oil matches Aisin spec JWS 3309 and the 3.0 matches Aisin spec JWS 3324.

I aksed Millers about this and they said that the newer oil could be used in both boxes but the older oil can only be used in the box fitted to the 2.7. Apparently the oil for the 3.0 was thinner to improve efficiency and reduce the emissions.

25l of this oil is £79.50 + VAT which makes a massive difference to the cost of doing it using Citroen oil.

I'd appreciate other peoples thoughts on this oil before I fill it with this oil.

David.
gmerry   
Mon Feb 22 2016, 12:15pm
Member No: #21
David, I have a huge respect for the technical guys at Millers Oil (and generally for their products) so definitely would tend to take their advice.

I suspect the most critical property is the friction factor (for wet clutches and brakes) so I would like to hear from them, in the context of private technical discussion, how they have achieved compliance with JIS3324 (is that specification an open standard wrt to friction factor?). Don't take any notice of the old marketing phrase "exceeds requirements of xxxx" of course. Just an anecdote here, I still have 10 litres of AMSOL universal transmission fluid which "exceeds the requirements of JIS3309" but is too slippery to work properly in the 2.7 box.

With respect to price, the Comma products will provide a good benchmark: obviously Citroen just buys in Esso (or Comma products), repackages and add markup hence their skyhigh offer.

Regards
G

PS, David, I've just looked at the "specification sheet" and it appears to list various OEM specifications. Some of these are contradictory so it appears this is a so called "universal" ATF which means it won't actually be correct for all (or any) of the specifications. I would stick with Esso (Mobil, Comma) branded products for your transmission.
gmerry   
Mon Feb 22 2016, 12:53pm
Member No: #21
Hi David, I've posted an snip from an article describing development of ATF fluids showing significant cold differences between 3309 / 3324 on a Brookfield viscosimeter.

Here's the link to the article:-

- Click Here -

e3steve   
Mon Feb 22 2016, 02:32pm
Member No: #1163
I've been using the recommended Comma ASW. About £10/ltr from my local Comma supplier.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club