C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Summer tyres question / opinion

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
e3steve   
Sun Aug 23 2015, 12:06pm
Member No: #1163
Has anyone tried Contisport Contact 3 tyres for non-winter use? I see that they have a load index of 96Y instead of the 100X of my current Falken Zeix 912s; apart from that I'm interested in 'spirited driving' wet/dry grip compromise, economy, noise and wear factor.

Any comments, peeps?
C6Dave   
Sun Aug 23 2015, 05:11pm

Member No: #1
e3steve wrote ...

Any comments, peeps?

Insurance invalidation if the car is checked following a bump and the tyres are not up to load/speed spec
Website
smorphet   
Sun Aug 23 2015, 07:02pm
Member No: #88
I had a set of SportContact 3 last time. They are (or were) available with ratings suitable for the C6.

Compared to the Michelin Primacy 3, which I've replaced them with, I think the Continentals were a little bit noisier, and the ride a little bit harsher. Not a big difference, but perhaps consistent with the Continentals being pitched as a 'sport' tyre and the Michelins as more of a comfort/touring tyre.

I think the Michelins suit the C6 better. I'm not really inclined to 'spirited driving' so can only say that grip on both sets of tyres has been ample, and wear quite acceptable.
e3steve   
Sun Aug 23 2015, 09:09pm
C6Dave wrote ...

e3steve wrote ...

Any comments, peeps?

Insurance invalidation if the car is checked following a bump and the tyres are not up to load/speed spec

Thank you, Dave. yes, I surmised that would be the case.

96s are below C6 requirements, then?
DZR   
Sun Aug 23 2015, 09:49pm
Member No: #2168
I think the requirements are 95s for the C6.
e3steve   
Mon Aug 24 2015, 08:24am
smorphet wrote ...

I had a set of SportContact 3 last time. They are (or were) available with ratings suitable for the C6.

Compared to the Michelin Primacy 3, which I've replaced them with, I think the Continentals were a little bit noisier, and the ride a little bit harsher. Not a big difference, but perhaps consistent with the Continentals being pitched as a 'sport' tyre and the Michelins as more of a comfort/touring tyre.

I think the Michelins suit the C6 better. I'm not really inclined to 'spirited driving' so can only say that grip on both sets of tyres has been ample, and wear quite acceptable.
Thanks for the response on this.

I had a C6 'staying with me' for a few weeks last year. That was on Primacy 3s and I put it through its paces a couple of times. I didn't perceive that they were any quieter than the Falkens on mine but they were, I'd say, just as grippy when pushed hard, although they'd get a bit chirpy near the limit.

In general I tend to drive for economy and comfort.

There are those times, though, when the lads in their Golfs, S3s & TT quattros must be despatched and, thus, relegated to the diesel fumes of the Six...

Always in a good-natured way!
Tjensen   
Mon Aug 24 2015, 11:18am
Member No: #954
C6 must have load index 95W or better (in Norway). They gave me Michelin Primacy 3 96W. Not sure why 100W is the original

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club