C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Coolant smell when the 2.7 engine is hot:

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
e3steve   
Tue May 05 2015, 01:46pm
Member No: #1163
I've had this 'orrible odour since last September but could seen no witness marks of leaks around the cooling system, nor have I been losing any significant amounts of Comma Glysantin. I hoped it wasn't the damnable 'outlet tank' (thermostat housing) again, as I replaced that just a couple of years ago!

My motor-dealer buddy suggested trying a small container of Stop Leak to see if it made any difference to the slight losses that I was experiencing, so I did; but still getting the odour when the motor was up-to-temp.

Because I couldn't see any witness marks, I had a nasty suspicion that it might be at the back of the rear bank!

Lo and behold, upon removing the engine cover, I noticed, last week, that there was pinkish white staining around the throttle butterfly Y-split. A lightbulb moment! So I power-washed the area, ran it up to temp and observed; I spotted the leak immediately this time: another piece of Ford's cooling system's plastic had split, namely the forty-five-degree elbow that connects the outlet tank's spigot to the rubber hose that runs forward on the r/h/s of the engine -- the extension of item 12 in the image below.

Of course, thus wouldn't happen on a Jaguar-Land Rover derivative of the engine, as their designers sensibly insisted upon those parts mentioned herein being made from alloy!!

The part wasn't in stock but has been quickly obtained for me by Yeoman's of Fareham. It's fourteen quid.

Yet another instance of PSA's lack of foresight...
magicands   
Tue May 05 2015, 05:36pm
Member No: #1021
Glad you found the problem.
Sounds about right when you mention PSA though.
Thanks for letting us all know
Website
gmerry   
Tue May 05 2015, 07:49pm
Member No: #21
Hi E3steve, another great post - thanks for helping us keep the C6s alive.

Regards
G
cruiserphil   
Wed May 06 2015, 07:36pm

Member No: #38
E3,

Just to keep the debate alive, there's a plastic inlet tank behind the water pump, accessible behind the alternator. This fractured on me and I had to replace it!!

Best regards,

Phil C.
e3steve   
Thu May 07 2015, 07:21am
cruiserphil wrote ...

E3,

Just to keep the debate alive, there's a plastic inlet tank behind the water pump, accessible behind the alternator. This fractured on me and I had to replace it!!

Best regards,

Phil C.
Thank you Phil (groan...).

That's a really robust item to tuck in such an unfriendly and barely-accessible place, innit!!?

Someone in the QC dept at Ford or PSA is/was a T O S S E R!
cruiserphil   
Thu May 07 2015, 08:04am

Sorry about that E3. Sounds like it'd be no bother to you!!

I have photos, I'll try to put together a post at some stage!

Best regards,

Phil C.
cruiserphil   
Sat May 09 2015, 08:28pm

Well lads,

I should have kept quiet.

Today after an impressive 128,549km, the coolant outlet tank on the 07 car burst spectacularly while the engine was being revved to maximium for the exhaust smoke test during its NCT (Irish MOT). As a result the car returned home on an AA tilt and slide truck.

While giving the car a quick check over the night before I had remarked to myself the fact that this car had never had any coolant leak issues and didn't use coolant (compared to the history with the 06 car and which has a leak at the moment that I can't find!). So was I in for a surprise!

Conscious that we have debated this item comprehensively to date, I would still like to suggest after this experience that owners should treat this tank as an item with a service life. If you get to say 100,000km without an issue, change the tank. At a minimum it will save you being stuck at the side of the road waiting for recovery. As you can see, in this case there was no pre burst leakage and coolant loss to indicate impending trouble.

Best regards,

Phil C.

C6Dave   
Sun May 10 2015, 06:50am

Member No: #1
cruiserphil wrote ...

Well lads,

I should have kept quiet.

That 'Murphy' (along with his friend 'Sod') has a lot to answer for
Website
cruiserphil   
Sun May 10 2015, 07:29am

As they'd say in Limerick, Dave, "you're a scream!"

Best regards,

Phil C.
e3steve   
Sun May 10 2015, 07:56am
Sorry to read of your misfortune, Phil!

I did my little job yesterday and, I'm pleased to say, no more coolant smell (at least, not until the next bit of plastic [%*^#@!] splits!)

Here's the old item, showing the part number on the bag's label. The second pic shows the split along the union's length:

e3steve   
Sun May 10 2015, 07:58am
Split union:

321dave   
Sun May 10 2015, 09:23am
Member No: #614
Hi Phil,
Very sorry to hear about the split union at the NCT! I was worried myself regarding turning up to the NCT. Now I'm just going to order the parts and start replacing each piece of the coolant system. I've already replaced one pipe might as well renovate the whole circuit now! Would anyone have a complete list already compiled of the part numbers and components that should be replaced for piece of mind.

Kind regards
321dave
e3steve   
Sun May 10 2015, 10:38am
321dave wrote ...

Hi Phil,
Very sorry to hear about the split union at the NCT! I was worried myself regarding turning up to the NCT. Now I'm just going to order the parts and start replacing each piece of the coolant system. I've already replaced one pipe might as well renovate the whole circuit now! Would anyone have a complete list already compiled of the part numbers and components that should be replaced for piece of mind.

Kind regards
321dave
Good shout, Dave!
cruiserphil   
Sun May 10 2015, 08:11pm

E3,
Which pipe is this in your post? I have a leak on the 06 car which I'm having difficulty finding so am very interested as you'd understand. From experience I may be blinded by focusing on components such as the inlet tank, outlet tank etc. but never spared a thought for the plastic click fit connector bodies.

Best regards,

Phil C.
cruiserphil   
Sun May 10 2015, 08:19pm

E3,
Apologies, have just spotted your reference to item 12 in your original post. I may have this problem also. There was coolant around the outlet tank. I suspected the tank and changed it as I decided to keep a new tank on the shelf. I couldn't see anything obvious on the tank (only fitted 2 years ago) but still have coolant loss. I'll have another look!

Many thanks,

Phil C.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club