'Tugging' at Turning/ Speed?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
chillmax   
Sun Apr 12 2015, 11:27am
Member No: #1648
*********NOW FIXED*********

New LDS tank fitted, problem's completely gone - ugghh!!!!!!

Cheers All JJ

Hi All

Going back to the garage Tuesday, would be great to give them an idea of where to look!

Had loads done recently and we thought we'd probably solved this issue by fixing an LDS leak, but it wasn't that.

If I go around a round-a-bout at speed, or turn at speed, the steering pulls, jams up & for a few moments, sort of loses power; difficult to describe, as it's quick, then returns to normal. Once it did it & pulled the steering wheel out of my hand!!

Did it before I changed all the spheres, new LDS, no apparent leaks, new tyres, had a good couple of check overs since I bought her, so nothing about to drop or obviously wrong!!

Cheers in advance - Justin
Website
arconell3   
Sun Apr 12 2015, 03:14pm
Member No: #922
Hi Justin,

To start off with, I'd say check the driveshafts first, the homokinetic (CV) joints. Then check all suspension bushes and joints, check and adjust ride height and have the suspension geometry checked and adjusted. All in that order to prevent double work. Hopefully somewhere along the line you'll get to the root of the problem. All of that assuming you have had the steering mechanism and -servo already checked.

Robert
Website
chillmax   
Sun Apr 12 2015, 03:24pm
Thanks Robert, will relay all of that. My guys, Witmuns in Merstham, were really happy with all their checks, but obviously something is hiding from obvious view!!

JJ
Website
Trainman   
Sun Apr 12 2015, 08:42pm

Member No: #86
I think it's something else.......

If I'm right, does it feel like the the steering is locked and then returns to normal on cornering or roundabouts? If so I think it could be more to do with a speed sensor somewhere, don't forget the steering is speed sensitive...... just thinking out loud......

Had it happen to me if I park a certain way outside the house, drive off and its like you're trying to steer a brick, then goes straight away and you almost over steer, I put it down to the LDS "settling" somewhere and stopped parking the way I did.....
chillmax   
Sun Apr 12 2015, 08:51pm
Mmmm, interesting Steve, yes I think I could describe it like that just for a second or 2, I feel like if I fought it I would break something, so yes 'locked' would describe that!!

I do drive like I'm in the car chase in Ronin (XM) , so that may be making this issue surface as otherwise it wouldn't show itself. Parking is behaving itself, lovely & light.

Sounds like replacement to me, is there just one speed sensor or a whole buncha junk??

Cheers JJ
Website
arconell3   
Sun Apr 12 2015, 10:00pm
Member No: #922
Hi guys,

A speed sensor going momentarily berserk would have shown up as a fault in Diagbox, "Incoherent value". Also it would most likely not have affected the steering servo, the safety backup programme in the BSI/servo control unit would prevent that.

Robert
Website
chillmax   
Sun Apr 12 2015, 10:08pm
When I went into Cit to have software updates he said I had a lot of fault codes & he cleared them out. I've got a print off somewhere, I'll see if I can see that Incoherent one. My other garage can plug her in as well, so I'll just have to wait & see.

Cheers JJ
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club