C6 Auto Handbrake

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Chevrons   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 11:05am
Member No: #85
I've had my C6 for four months now.

I've driven many cars with auto handbrakes, however, I can't master the C6.

It will release, but I have to have so many rev's and so much power applied that the back wheels are dragged before it will release.

Bit of a nuisance as I have to do a lot of hill starts with my left foot on the brake.

Any one else?
ChrisHunter   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 11:15am
Member No: #188
just a thought, but ours doesn't release unless the footbrake's held down - safety interlock !
gmerry   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 11:44am
Member No: #21
Chris, the handbrake will release (with the engine running) if the brake pedal is pushed and the handbrake lever lifted simultaneously, OR if the accelerator is pressed in drive and the handbrake lever lifted (again simultaneously).

The 2nd method is never completely smooth, but with a little practice one can get a release at around 1200 RPM and just a faint jerk. Suggest if it's more than that, something needs adjusting or resetting.

Do your rear brakes drag at all? Park the car on a flat road - just off level and see if it rolls. If not, they may need freeing off.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 12:01pm

Member No: #1
How steep are the hills?

As gmerry says, foot on the foot brake, release the handbrake and pull away, the car should be held on the auto box.

I rarely ever use the handbrake it has to be said, I simply leave the car in park which locks the gearbox up. I start the car with my foot on the brake, move the gear change to reverse or drive as appropriate and then simply pull away.

I don't know what the position would be with a manual gearbox though.
Website
Chevrons   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 02:30pm
gmerry wrote ...

Chris, the handbrake will release (with the engine running) if the brake pedal is pushed and the handbrake lever lifted simultaneously, OR if the accelerator is pressed in drive and the handbrake lever lifted (again simultaneously).

The 2nd method is never completely smooth, but with a little practice one can get a release at around 1200 RPM and just a faint jerk. Suggest if it's more than that, something needs adjusting or resetting.

Do your rear brakes drag at all? Park the car on a flat road - just off level and see if it rolls. If not, they may need freeing off.

Regards
G

G, rolls freely and no noise from brakes - thanks for the tip.

I note that you use the term 'faint jerk', however, mine is a distinct screech (split second) then releases.

I have practised and practised trying to get a good start.

As you suggest, when it goes in for a service I'll have them check it.

C6Dave wrote ...

How steep are the hills?

We have 25% (1:4) gradients up here, so it rolls back too much even when in drive and moving from brake to accelerator.
So I use left foot braking.
Chevrons   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 02:33pm
C6Dave wrote ...

How steep are the hills?

As gmerry says, foot on the foot brake, release the handbrake and pull away, the car should be held on the auto box.

I rarely ever use the handbrake it has to be said, I simply leave the car in park which locks the gearbox up. I start the car with my foot on the brake, move the gear change to reverse or drive as appropriate and then simply pull away.

I don't know what the position would be with a manual gearbox though.

We have 25% (1:4) gradients up here, so it rolls back too much even when in drive and moving from brake to accelerator.
So I use left foot braking.
gmerry   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 04:13pm
Member No: #21
Chevrons, I too have one steep local hill (must be about 1 in 3).

To start, I use the select drive, foot on accelerator and then hand on the handbrake paddle. routine. Surprising, this gives a smooth take off, perhaps because the engine is under some load and revs when the hand brake releases.

On the flat, I almost always use the footbrake, then hand on paddle to release. On the flat, very difficult to avoid that small jerk.

As Dave says, most of the time Park function is more than adequate. For example, overnight parking on a slope, I never use the handbrake (to avoid it jamming on)

Regards
G
tonyrome   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 04:55pm
Member No: #15
gmerry wrote ...
overnight parking on a slope, I never use the handbrake (to avoid it jamming on)

But lack of use is probably one of the main reasons why they jam up in the first place! I always use the parking brake - if it's not needed, why do they bother fitting it in the first place? - and I've never had a handbrake jam on me in any car.
dsharples   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 11:38pm
Member No: #119
Does anyone know if the C6's handbrake can be "upgraded" to the fully automatic behaviour of the C5 S2's?

On a friends C5 Estate, the handbrake is fully automatic. *MUCH* easier than on my C6.

Surely the handbrake is electronically controlled somehow via the CAN - and the C5 module can be adapted?

<Pipedream?>
ChrisHunter   
Fri Aug 20 2010, 08:05am
Member No: #188
>will release (with the engine running) if the brake pedal is pushed and the handbrake lever lifted simultaneously, OR if the accelerator is pressed in drive and the handbrake lever lifted (again simultaneously) ...

ah, thanks ...

BTW, my brother told me off for not using the handbrake, which we almost never did, because by so-doing we were relying on just a pin in the gearbox ...
Chevrons   
Fri Aug 20 2010, 08:33am
gmerry wrote ...

As Dave says, most of the time Park function is more than adequate. For example, overnight parking on a slope, I never use the handbrake (to avoid it jamming on)

Regards
G

Highway Code
Parking

• you MUST apply the handbrake before leaving the vehicle.
[Laws CUR reg 98, 105 & 107, RVLR reg 27 & RTA 1988 sect 42]
tonyrome   
Fri Aug 20 2010, 10:38pm
Member No: #15
If 'Park' ever failed on the gearbox and the car ran away downhill, killing a few people on the way, I doubt anyone would be very impressed when you explained that you didn't use the handbrake in case it jamming on
PercyPorcelain   
Sun Apr 05 2015, 09:49pm
Member No: #2027
As with my recent post on handbrake difficulties, most of the contributors have automatic transmission cars. On a manual car it is perhaps trickier, and more than once I have suffered the embarrassment of a stall when trying to pull away from the lights. Worse than that I fear I may be putting strain on the mechanism and end up with a costly repair. Will persevere, getting slowly better at it but it's easy to re-engage the brake accidentally instead of disengaging it at the moment the clutch starts to bite.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club