C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

ECU Re-map?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
chillmax   
Sat Jan 31 2015, 12:18am
Member No: #1648
Has anyone ever done a re-map, or been advised against it maybe?

I'd never want to do it if it 'hurt' the car in anyway, but if it could release a little more power, I'd consider it - V6 Petrol.

Cheers Justin
Website
C6Dave   
Sat Jan 31 2015, 08:27am

Member No: #1
There are threads on site regarding it here's 1: - Click Here - and another: - Click Here -
Website
gmerry   
Tue Feb 03 2015, 07:55am
Member No: #21
Hi Chillmax, your choice of powerplant is a V6 normally aspirated petrol: it has nothing in common with a twin-turbo diesel. All the posts and links are for V6HDis, nothing for you on this site.

Note, a simple ECU remap will not fundamentally change the torque curve nor SFC of a normally aspirated petrol engine.

Regards
G
speedfix   
Wed Feb 04 2015, 08:19pm
Member No: #1043
Hi Justin.

"Note, a simple ECU remap will not fundamentally change the torque curve nor SFC of a normally aspirated petrol engine."

Never heard of a simple ECU remap!

"Petrol (Naturally Aspirated)
Remapping a petrol engine ECU will produce 10 - 15% BHP depending on exact specification, the engine will also be more responsive on initial acceleration and produce more torque (up to 20%) through out the entire rev range, giving more response on lighter throttle."

Just what is needed for the flat spot type of lag when pulling away with the 3.0L petrol.
Go for it and use the high octane fuel IMO.
drummond   
Thu Feb 05 2015, 07:43am
Member No: #238
Please don't forget the insurance issues- you will be getting a higher performance car, and your insurers will not cover you if you have a prang.

As an aside, I have a 1967 DS19, for which insurance is £96 for the year. I am swapping the engine for a DS21 unit, and the insurers want an extra £25- i.e., 1/3 extra. If I had a DS21, they would want only £96.

The reason is, that it's "modified". And none of the insurers were prepared to back down. Aargh!

Tim
chillmax   
Thu Feb 05 2015, 12:18pm
Hi Speedfix & Drummond

Went to get it done Tuesday, nice guy in Caterham, but we couldn't do it the usual way, via a cable & laptop with KES, as there were no files to talk to my car, too rare I presume, the petrol. He took the ECU out, nice to see where it was, he then confirmed that he will have to open it up & change the chip completely. Doesn't cost much more & he's aasured me all will be well, so I'm just considering it.

BHP will be around 232, I told him what I didn't like about the car & he said that's what everyone complains about, slow at take off, and that this will fit it. HE even said Aston, Porsche etc owners complain about the same thing, so I'm in good company

Mentioned insurance, and we both agreed they would never know that the chip was changed - under normal conditions that is, and the likely hood of them conducting a forensic examination of my car for this is highly improbable

Cheers JJ
Website
chillmax   
Thu Feb 05 2015, 12:21pm
C6Dave wrote ...

There are threads on site regarding it here's 1: - Click Here - and another: - Click Here -

Thanks Dave, your almost immediate responses very much appreciated

Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club