C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Lifting the C6- dangers ?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Tjensen   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 03:00pm
Member No: #954
I am leaving the car for underbody rust treatment and polishing (Waxguard) tomoroow, to make it survive the winter...

But should I:

1. Tell them nothing (on lifting with all wheels hanging)

2. Tell them to loosen the LDS cap

3. tell them to remove the LDS cap

It is a 2010 3,0, so it will maybe be OK to tell them nothing (??) But there is still a warning in the guides, even for for these cars.
C6Dave   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 03:13pm

Member No: #1
The suspension should be in the 'high' position when jacking the car and letting the wheels hang.

However if it's on a 4 post lift then it will be OK
Website
speedfix   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 08:04pm
Member No: #1043
The suspension should be in the 'high' position when jacking the car and letting the wheels hang.

Jacking the car yes in the high position but only for one wheel removal.

For a two post lift normal ride hight, slacken the lds filler cap, with engine running position the hoist arms turn off ignition switch within 2-3 mins lift the car to the required hight.
The suspenstion travel will now be free for servicing and to get to all the rust proffing aereas

If it a four post hoist then it will be more of a problem with some due to blocking and positioning of the runners.
ciao_chao   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 10:39pm
Member No: #518
Sorry for being a complete idiot, but what are 2/4-post lifts?
buggebubben   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 11:05pm
Member No: #1017
Sorry for being a complete idiot too, but where is the lds filler cap located?
I´m into switching for winter tyres and this will be handle by the tyre company so I want to be sure to leave correct instructions...if I have to.
speedfix   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 11:06pm
Did not work Well those pictures did not go through.

Regarding the two post hoist they have one pillar each side with two arms that swing and ajust to the car.
The underneath is more visible and most conponents can be worked on with ease.

The LDS filler cap is for filling the suspension fluid tank black on the osf of the car.
Hope this helps without pictures of the hoists
C6Dave   
Fri Nov 02 2012, 08:02am

buggebubben wrote ...

Sorry for being a complete idiot too, but where is the lds filler cap located?
I´m into switching for winter tyres and this will be handle by the tyre company so I want to be sure to leave correct instructions...if I have to.

Top of the LDS tank, left side of the engine bay, looking from the front, just behind the washer bottle filler
Website
smihaialex   
Mon Nov 05 2012, 05:22pm
Member No: #1031
So let me get this straight - if, let's say, my car has to undergo some serious repairs and it will be lifted completely - all 4 wheels off the ground (on a four post hydraulic repair station) - it needs some preparation? What can go wrong if the mechanics working on the car don't do the preparation and just leave it hanging for a couple of days?
speedfix   
Mon Nov 05 2012, 07:06pm
A two post lift is far better for lift off within the two minute time proceedure.
Can be left hanging as long as required.

The wheels suspension travel will be free for any work needed.
The underneath unit items can be worked on more easly than having the long lateral rails obstructing parts on a four post and causing probs with the wheel free set up.

C6Dave   
Mon Nov 05 2012, 07:25pm

Care does need to be taken on a 2 post lift though to get the jacking points correct as the car is front heavy.

Get it wrong and the car could nose dive off. It has been known to happen with some not so knowledgeable service centres!
Website
Tjensen   
Mon Nov 05 2012, 07:48pm
Member No: #954
Got my car back today. Feels and look OK in every way, also from the underside Full antirust treatment as well as paint cleaning, polish and sealing. No error messages.
citrohanc6   
Mon Nov 05 2012, 09:28pm
Member No: #329
C6Dave wrote ...

Care does need to be taken on a 2 post lift though to get the jacking points correct as the car is front heavy.

Get it wrong and the car could nose dive off. It has been known to happen with some not so knowledgeable service centres!

That's my concern also using a two post lift esp. if running on empty.

Its not intended to make this all more complicated but before visiting a garage I first fill up with diesel to have some balance. Seen Cx'es diving head first off the hoist.

And better save than sorry, always twist the cap of the LDS reservoir before lifting the car.
bigmario   
Wed Nov 07 2012, 10:15am
citrohanc6 wrote ...

C6Dave wrote ...

That's my concern also using a two post lift esp. if running on empty.

Its not intended to make this all more complicated but before visiting a garage I first fill up with diesel to have some balance. Seen Cx'es diving head first off the hoist.

And better save than sorry, always twist the cap of the LDS reservoir before lifting the car.

I can confirm that you have to unscrew the cap to avoid problems ... I did not know and it is not written in the user manual, and for this I had to replace the tank and the fittings because, going under pressure, there was a leak!

citrohanc6   
Wed Nov 07 2012, 07:45pm
Member No: #329
felt very sorry for you and Clive980. Hope all is well now, and with respect for the accidents happened, I am thankfull, and I'm sure that with me many many others are thankfull, you informed us about the dangers of lifting the car without the precaution of unscrewing the cap of the lds tank.
speedfix   
Fri Oct 17 2014, 06:59pm
If it a four post hoist then it will be more of a problem with some due to blocking.

IMO now I feel more happy working on a four post with some of the jobs now.

Always slacken the LDS tank cap before wheel free.

Pix of rear jacking points on hoist.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club