Hello & C6 - what to check

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
tomos   
Wed Jul 09 2014, 02:12pm
Member No: #1776
Hello all,

About to dip my toes into C6 territory - test driving one soon. Have had some experience of Citroens having had a C4 VTR+ for a long time, in particular electrical quirks. But can anyone can give me a *brief* top 5 points to check? In particular the suspension ... anything to watch for? I know service interval is 125k / 5 years.

Car in question is a 2008 Exclusive.

More generally, I'm intending to use it as family transport for myself, wife and 2 sons (7 and 1 month). It's not going to be sitting in a garage being polished (at the moment)- so any thoughts on the C6 as a working car greatly appreciated as well.

ChrisHunter   
Thu Jul 10 2014, 12:32am
Member No: #188
it's much better to use any car every day, is our experience - use it or lose it, or something like that ...

top five - our experience suggests :

service history / oil changes

fuel (premium more than a good idea)

tyres - evenness of wear / across & around - front last 10-15k, rear twice that, perhaps a bit more ...

FRIP joints - might be expected to last 60-70k miles

Sat.Nav - check it works ...
cruiserphil   
Thu Jul 10 2014, 08:25pm

Member No: #38
Tomos,

I addition to Chris's guidance, check expensive (difficult to repair items) that have come to light on the forum:

1. Transmission: Check for any snatching in shifting particularly 2nd to 3rd. You should not "feel" gear changing.

2. Try all the options on the ventilation system buttons on the centre console. Make sure the air flow corresponds with that on the buttons. This checks the servo motors and flap operation.

3. Turn on the driver's heated seat at the start of your test drive. It takes a while to warm up. This seat is the most probable to fail on heating as it's the most used.

4. After that, try as many of the features as you can, or certainly ask for them to be demonstrated,

Best of luck,

Phil C
gmerry   
Fri Jul 11 2014, 02:40pm
Member No: #21
Hi Tomos, you should find it fine for family transport: safe, comfortable and roomy, if not the best for getting a buggy in and out of the boot compared to say a people carrier.

It's worth trying to get someone to interrogate the fault log (you may have to pay a Citroen garage), to see what software problems lurk in the dozen or so ECUs. Most of us have a permanent Steering Sensor Fault, beyond that a good car should be electronically fault free. The reason I'm suggesting this check, is that it may save you from inheriting a hidden very hard to fix problem. By comparison, most of the mechanical issues like worn suspension joints are relatively easy to diagnose and correct.

Regards
G

PS, not sure what you mean by service interval being 5 years. Mine gets serviced every 6 months and there is always something needed to be done at that frequency
tomos   
Sun Jul 13 2014, 04:29pm
Member No: #1776
gmerry wrote ...

Hi Tomos, you should find it fine for family transport: safe, comfortable and roomy, if not the best for getting a buggy in and out of the boot compared to say a people carrier.

It's worth trying to get someone to interrogate the fault log (you may have to pay a Citroen garage), to see what software problems lurk in the dozen or so ECUs. Most of us have a permanent Steering Sensor Fault, beyond that a good car should be electronically fault free. The reason I'm suggesting this check, is that it may save you from inheriting a hidden very hard to fix problem. By comparison, most of the mechanical issues like worn suspension joints are relatively easy to diagnose and correct.

Regards
G

PS, not sure what you mean by service interval being 5 years. Mine gets serviced every 6 months and there is always something needed to be done at that frequency

Thanks for relies and advice all, really useful. I know all too well about citroen fault logs having had my C4 die on the autoroute in 30 degree heat....

Service interval - I read somewhere else online that the suspension needs a specific service at 5 yrs / 125k. Maybe something to look for on the FSH...although unfortunately my 08 exclusive target has fallen through, and the search has resumed.

If and when it happens, I'll be back with pix !

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club