Author Post
jmcgowan   
Mon Nov 24 2014, 04:32pm
Member No: #1864
Is it possible to tow a C6? Engine is starting ok
patcrean406   
Mon Nov 24 2014, 10:16pm
Member No: #1894
They say you shouldn't tow an automatic usually. Is the car still in france Jim?
Trainman   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 01:25am

Member No: #86
The simple answer is yes......BUT you would need the front wheels to be suspended off the road.

There was something called an 'Ambulance' I think, basically like a trailer and which lifted the front wheels and you attached to the towing car and pulled like a normal trailer, haven't seen one floor ears though......
jmcgowan   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 03:43am
patcrean406 wrote ...

They say you shouldn't tow an automatic usually. Is the car still in france Jim?

It is but I hope to get it on the ferry in Cherbourg Tuesday. Unfortunately the French garage told me the car was starting but it appears the battery is very weak. I have seen horror stories here of further problems that can throw up.
jmcgowan   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 03:50am
So it is possible to use an ambulance. I know what you mean. The rear wont be dragging off the road too much?
drummond   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 07:30am
Member No: #238
I think- and I'm not entirely sure- that an ambulance is illegal in France. I believe that to tow anywhere, you've got to have all 4 wheels off the ground, ie on a trailer.

Of course, being illegal and actually getting away with it is quite different! Where is the car?

If you've a towbar hiring a trailer is relatively easy, I would not tell them that you're going to France.
gmerry   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 08:55am
Member No: #21
The "ambulance" is usually described as a towing "dolly".

Here's the UK Government regulations/restrictions on use of one. basically only allowable for genuine breakdowns hence if the RAC is found using one they will be OK whereas Joe Blogg may have a lot of explaining to do. Plus the speed limits are incredibly low (20mph on ordinary roads, 40 on motorways).

Dollies
September 2011
The use of “dollies” is intended for the recovery of broken down vehicles, not for the transportation
of a vehicle from “A” to “B”. Under Regulation 83 of C&U a motor car is permitted to tow two trailers
when one of them is a towing implement and the other is secured to and either rests on or is
suspended from the implement. When used for recovering broken down vehicles “dollies” are
exempt from having an operational braking system fitted, provided that the towing vehicle is
capable of meeting the minimum prescribed braking requirements for the combination. However, if
“dollies” are used for the transportation of perfectly functioning vehicles they will need to fitted with
an operational braking system. Additionally the brakes on the wheels of the towed car which are in
contact with the road must work and meet the specified 50% braking efficiency required for a
trailer. The dolly would also be required by Regulation 22 of C&U to be fitted with suspension.
Regulations 19 and 22 in C&U permit a broken down vehicle to be recovered without complying
with these requirements. However, there is further legislation under the Road Traffic Regulation
Act 1984 that introduces a limitation on the maximum speed that the combination can be driven;
this is 40mph on motorways and 20mph on other roads.
speedfix   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 09:25am
Member No: #1043
"haven't seen one floor ears though..."

Hi Trainman, pix enclosed for the memory of the famous ambulance that we still use for shunting wrecked vehicles around the yard!!!!!!!

A dolly is a totally different animal.

C6Dave   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 10:28am

Member No: #1
gmerry wrote ...

The "ambulance" is usually described as a towing "dolly".

Here's the UK Government regulations/restrictions on use of one. basically only allowable for genuine breakdowns hence if the RAC is found using one they will be OK whereas Joe Blogg may have a lot of explaining to do. Plus the speed limits are incredibly low (20mph on ordinary roads, 40 on motorways).

Dollies
September 2011
The use of “dollies” is intended for the recovery of broken down vehicles, not for the transportation of a vehicle from “A” to “B”. Under Regulation 83 of C&U a motor car is permitted to tow two trailers when one of them is a towing implement and the other is secured to and either rests on or is suspended from the implement.

When used for recovering broken down vehicles “dollies” are exempt from having an operational braking system fitted, provided that the towing vehicle is
capable of meeting the minimum prescribed braking requirements for the combination.

Basically if the 'dolly' is un braked then you have to use the tow cars 'un braked' trailer limit to determine if it's safe, which I suspect for most vehicles people intend to use will be far less than the weight of a C6.

Plus, does your driving licence cover you for towing that weight, for a lot of new licence holders it won't.

See the DVLA site - Click Here - Maximum weight allowed on UK licences issued from 1976 is 3,500 KG and the C6 2.7 HDi weighs 1871 KG alone.

My pre 1976 licence allows up to 8,250 KG - you can check yours online - Click Here -

It's a potential minefield for the unaware.
Website
gmerry   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 12:45pm
Hi all, a key aspect of the UK regulations is that for non-emergency use, the rear wheels (of the C6 sitting on the dolly) must be braked which is clearly impossible/impractical hence a dolly is only suitable emergency use, with all attendent restrictions in terms of towing vehicle braking requirements/towing Gross Train restrictions and Driving licence restrictions too, as Dave has highlighted.

So really, this is one for the trade only ( assuming they have a commercial vehicle).

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 12:56pm

Member No: #1
As an aside, Graham Morton, who buys a lot of cars, H Vans etc. in France, has reverted to a large 4x4 and 3 tonne trailer to transport the vehicles he brings back because of the restrictions and regulations imposed on car transporters in France G.
Website
speedfix   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 02:06pm
IMO this type is the best of all worlds: - Click Here -

Car sits with tie downs in the ramps, unit is braked, do check weights of loaded outfit for the GTW with respect of the tow vehicle within the law.

I towed a vehicle with an "A" from the south of France to the terminal at Calais and boarded the ferry for home on the lower deck with no problems with the French police or customs however that was some years ago.

An "A" bar would be of no use to the c6 as the autobox would be wrecked through no lubrication on a long trip.
gmerry   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 03:31pm
Hi Speedfix, your recommended method is basically illegal .....

Additionally the brakes on the wheels of the towed car which are in
contact with the road must work and meet the specified 50% braking efficiency required for a
trailer.

Unless you could convince the police that it is a genuine emergency breakdown

As an anecdote, my good other half was towing a boat and stopped by an off duty policeman because an Audi driver had reported her as speeding (62mph on motorway). That's the world we live in.
patcrean406   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 04:40pm
Member No: #1894
Jim if I was you id try and rent a proper car transporter. Preferably a Brian James. If you have a decent size car towing it I don't think you'd have any hassle from the French police. I had to tow mine a few weeks ago with a Peugeot 206. Granted it was overloaded but at 40 mph there was no danger. If the car is starting could you maybe limp to the ferry and just keep topping up coolant? If you could tow as far as the ferry, she would probably drive herself into it.
speedfix   
Tue Nov 25 2014, 07:03pm
"Hi Speedfix, your recommended method is basically illegal"

Hello gmerry, Wow what a mine field, we are in the EU so as see it the rules apply to what ever country the vehicle is registered!
If so and the vehicle was broken down, confirmed by garage of breakdown in France for collection then this part transcript from Department of Transport Sept 2011 applies unless it has been updated?

"The use of “dollies” is intended for the recovery of broken down vehicles, not for the transportation of a vehicle from “A” to “B”. Under Regulation 83 of C&U a motor car is permitted to tow two trailers when one of them is a towing implement and the other is secured to and either rests on or is suspended from the implement. When used for recovering broken down vehicles “dollies” are exempt from having an operational braking system fitted, provided that the towing vehicle is capable of meeting the minimum prescribed braking requirements for the combination."
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club