C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Drivers Door Interior Handle getting stiff/notchy to operate

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
dsharples   
Fri Jan 29 2016, 10:46pm
Member No: #119
Has anyone encountered a "stiff" interior door handle. My outer handle seems to be getting notchy as well. Is this a just a lubrication issue, or do all the cables/levers conjoin to a mechanism somewhere that fails?

Guidance welcome..
e3steve   
Sat Jan 30 2016, 10:59am
Member No: #1163
dsharples wrote ...

Has anyone encountered a "stiff" interior door handle. My outer handle seems to be getting notchy as well....
Same. Been like it for a year or so now; although it's "free 'n' easy" if the window's down. This tells me that it's a drop-glass adjustment issue, which involves removing the (outer, bodycoloured) plastic panel at the bottom of the door.

I'll let y'all know if I do ever get to do anything about it...
Jodyone   
Sat Jan 30 2016, 11:11pm
Member No: #1240
e3steve wrote ...

dsharples wrote ...

Has anyone encountered a "stiff" interior door handle. My outer handle seems to be getting notchy as well....
Same. Been like it for a year or so now; although it's "free 'n' easy" if the window's down. This tells me that it's a drop-glass adjustment issue, which involves removing the (outer, bodycoloured) plastic panel at the bottom of the door.

Steve- your car seems to have everything that everyone else reports! Like you're winning C6 (Bad) Top Trumps. You never complain though! In fairness, I'm not far behind... not got this one yet, but we'll see what tomorrow brings.. (I do need to get inside the door one day to replace the check strap mechanism, which has rusted like so many others... )
dsharples   
Sat Jan 30 2016, 11:38pm
Member No: #119
I think its just the age of the cars... we all seem to encounter issues at the same time... my weather-strips (between the front and rear doors) all seem to have split today... not sure if the hand-car-wash chaps were a little too brutal with the pressure washer.. or perhaps the warm-frost-warm weather is just taking its toll on the soft rubber components..
e3steve   
Sun Jan 31 2016, 10:42am
dsharples wrote ...

I think its just the age of the cars... we all seem to encounter issues at the same time...
Yep!

dsharples wrote ...
my weather-strips (between the front and rear doors) all seem to have split today...
I'd say 'tis UV causing this; note that these only crack where they're exposed...
e3steve   
Sun Jan 31 2016, 11:06am
Jodyone wrote ...

Steve- your car seems to have everything that everyone else reports! Like you're winning C6 (Bad) Top Trumps. You never complain though! In fairness, I'm not far behind... not got this one yet, but we'll see what tomorrow brings.. (I do need to get inside the door one day to replace the check strap mechanism, which has rusted like so many others... )
Not far wrong there, Jody!

Getting into the doors' internals isn't difficult, but the pop-clips are a bit of a sod for breaking. There are three hidden T35(?) screws inside the door bins, at the top.

The switches' panels just pull out, and there's a T20(?) screw beneath the ashtray insert. (Or is it beneath the switch panels...?)

The front doors' tweeter speaker covers unclip (the clips break off easily! Use a hairdryer to heat the edges of the covers before attempting to remove them in this chilly weather) and the tweeter needs to be removed and unplugged to expose one of the screws holding the plastic frame to the door mirror quadrant.

There's a single, obvious screw -- a long one -- on the back edge of the front door cards; don't overtighten this one as it will crack the door card covering!

Pop out the puddle light and dis' it before pulling the door card away from door. A flat, forked trim removal tool applied at each pop-clip will help; start at the bottom and use the puddle light aperture as a finger-pull, working your way forward then upward.

The door cards hook over the upper inner edge of each door.
e3steve   
Sun Jan 31 2016, 11:16am
e3steve wrote ...

dsharples wrote ...

OK, found the issue. My front door is actually forced slightly downward when the drop glass engages into the upper run of the rubber seal, indicating that either the drop glass's travel is excessive, by a few millimetres, or the door's height adjustment is a bit too high.

It's piddling down here this morning, with "that fine rain", but I shall inspect the shutline and bodyline level at some stage.

Watch this space...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club