C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 wheel bearings

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
scottmark   
Tue Feb 08 2011, 05:34pm
Member No: #370
Hi, anyone had to replace wheel bearings on the C6? 2.7 HDi Exclusive, what are the chances of both going at the same time? Replaced left hand bearing, still got the noise, hope replacing the right will solve it! Incidentally, if your getting bearings changed, buy ABS sensors too, they can't be removed without breaking them, and they effect the ABS, ESP and the handbrake!
Trainman   
Tue Feb 08 2011, 06:03pm

Member No: #86
Mark, firstly

secondly, I don't recaal having heard of the need to replace the wheel bearings, bottom ball joints, yes but not bearings......what sort of mileage are we talking about here?
scottmark   
Tue Feb 08 2011, 06:10pm
Member No: #370
Around 55k, the car is 2006, I use it daily. At the last MOT in April last it failed on a bottom ball joint, this was sorted easily enough, after the summer the 'roaring' started, it's actually more like a resonant 'howl' at 70mph.

The dealer agreed in November that there was some noise, but not enough to merit a change, but I thought I'd do it anyway.

The noise is infuriating in an otherwise fantastic car - incidentally, need a tie rod end on the left, too, is this unusual?
C6Dave   
Tue Feb 08 2011, 07:39pm

Member No: #1
scottmark wrote ...

The noise is infuriating in an otherwise fantastic car - incidentally, need a tie rod end on the left, too, is this unusual?

A lot of us have cars with lower mileages than you so very difficult to say what is 'usual' or not I'm afraid.
Website
Trainman   
Tue Feb 08 2011, 07:45pm

Member No: #86
Mine's knocking on 83,000 now and I've not had anything like this both bottom ball joints, N/S/F suspension leg and new front pads are all mine has needed, I decided to change the discs at the same time, but only because I had them.

michaelb   
Tue Feb 08 2011, 08:10pm
Member No: #14
Mark,

Welcome

Does the noise change to more of a "whump, whump" at lower speeds?

If so, check for flat spots on your tyres. If you have the original Michelins fitted this could be the problem. It's what happened on mine and Citroën changed the wheel bearing first thinking, incorrectly, that the bearings were at fault. And yes, they broke the ABS sensor and it took several days to find another one.

Michael
tonyrome   
Wed Feb 09 2011, 10:50am
Member No: #15
I've also had bottom ball joints and suspension legs replaced plus new front discs. I wasn't too impressed about this, to be honest, considering the low mileage of the car. I never had such problems at 35K-45K miles on any car before.
gmerry   
Wed Feb 09 2011, 02:35pm
Member No: #21
I'm not too bothered about replacing disks as they are just one of those true wear and tear items, plus a big heavy automatic car. In my case, the wear was probably more down to corrosion than true wear with the car having been little used (prior to my ownership).

For the case of main suspension ball joints, again it is a wear and tear item but based on previous posts (and not my own analysis) there are some issues with sealing and suspectibility to water ingress. I would add that this suspension component on the C6, is common across the PSA "C Platform" cars. Perhaps the C6 is just pushing the loadings a little? Or perhaps its just all the potholes and crazy number of speed humps on almost every street (at least in the city where I live).

The suspension leg I'm really not impressed by if it wears out at low mileage. I would have hoped that this sort of component was good for a 200k kms, obviously not.

Regards
G
Paschal   
Thu Feb 10 2011, 12:19pm
Member No: #375
I'm reassured but disappointed to read this thread. I've had a successful NCT (like MOT or Controle Tech.) at 55000 (kms) followed to a visit to My local Citroen Dealer about 2 months later at 60000 for a routine service oil + filters and came out with a bill for brake pads front and rear which is fine, front brake discs which I thought was a bit odd, two ball joints which I could'nt believe and a pair of wiper blades.

They called me to get the go ahead and I agreed but I still have a bitter taste. I did point out that the NCT returned no problems 5000 kms earlier but Service Manager advised that he felt that the work was necessary.

Our NCT testers have a reputation for being quite strict so I'm really a bit confused at the change in diagnosis over such a short period. Maybe a silent recall program for the ball joints?
michaelb   
Thu Feb 10 2011, 02:07pm
Member No: #14
Paschal wrote ...

Our NCT testers have a reputation for being quite strict so I'm really a bit confused at the change in diagnosis over such a short period. Maybe a silent recall program for the ball joints?

Very good point. Ireland's NCT testers are insanely strict. I've heard of cars failing for the wrong shade of orange on the indicator lenses. So if they passed the ball-joints you can be pretty certain they were okay.
tonyrome   
Thu Feb 10 2011, 02:38pm
Member No: #15
gmerry wrote ...
this suspension component on the C6, is common across the PSA "C Platform" cars. Perhaps the C6 is just pushing the loadings a little?

Paschal wrote ...
Maybe a silent recall program for the ball joints?

I have a suspicion something is amiss here, whether the weight of the C6 is at the outer limit of the design of the component or whether there was a fault in the manufacture. I had a failure of the ball joint and suspension arm on one side which, 5000km previously, appeared to be perfect. I could have had two MoTs within 4 months and seen a pass and a fail within that time! Having not seen the same kind of issues on cars which were twice the age of my C6 and had three times the mileage, it doesn't fill me with much confidence in terms of build quality. Also, if you go to a dealer, it'll cost in excess of 1000 EUR per side for such work!
gmerry   
Thu Feb 10 2011, 04:52pm
Member No: #21
Paschal, what would have happened if you had said no to the Citroen diagnosis on the ball joints?

Regards
G
citrohanc6   
Thu Feb 10 2011, 10:58pm
Member No: #329
tonyrome wrote ...

gmerry wrote ...
this suspension component on the C6, is common across the PSA "C Platform" cars. Perhaps the C6 is just pushing the loadings a little?

Paschal wrote ...
Maybe a silent recall program for the ball joints?

I have a suspicion something is amiss here, whether the weight of the C6 is at the outer limit of the design of the component or whether there was a fault in the manufacture. ...........the age of my C6 and had three times the mileage, it doesn't fill me with much confidence in terms of build quality. Also, if you go to a dealer, it'll cost in excess of 1000 EUR per side for such work!

This troubles me a also. When I bought the car at 90k mile, it came with the full history. What strikes me was that

at a mere 78392 miles the "triangle av" (bought the car in Francophone Belgium) the lower triangle (?) was done and
at 85634 mile again at the same side and the other side the triangle was replaced. Just as
" l'ensemble moyeu" (the plate to bolt the wheels on which contains the wheel bearing AFAIK) left and right were renewed, and
the "support pivot av dr" (which is the hydraulic suspension column isn' it?) was replaced.

Before this all the geometrie of the front train has been done three or four times and on top of this all at the APK, the dutch MOT, a slight tolerance of the lower wheel ball joints (l & r) was noticed.

Ok this all drives me in a state of sane hypochondria, just as the Xm did fifteen years ago. But as my worries for that troublesome Xm seem cartoonesque now after 400k miles, I'm not at all convinced the C6 will be a stand in for the same experience.
But let's see.

Winus

Paschal   
Fri Feb 11 2011, 09:35pm
Member No: #375
Winus,
Yes thats a fair point, I must say that I've had suberb value from each of my XM's

I'm not sure what a refusal would have meant. Maybe a knocking sound and 2 unevenly worn tyres or maybe just €200 in my bank account. I thought of it as preventative maintenence but I think I will wait till I hear them befor I replace them again.
Bishop   
Mon Sep 02 2013, 07:50am
Member No: #868
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd add my recent experience to this one. Over the past 2-3 months I had noticed a low rumbling/ whining sound building on the front driver's side. I checked the car in to be looked at about 8 weeks ago pointing them at the hubs, but the garage in question deemed their investigations inconclusive. To my ears the noise was there and has progressively got worse over the summer.

So, a couple of weeks ago I booked it in again and, hey presto and £350 lighter (£150 + VAT for the genuine part - their techy expressed a very strong preference for it) I have a new wheel bearing and no noise any longer.

My car has now done 55,000 miles since new (it's a 59 plate, but was built in August 08). I think that having a wheel bearing go at this point is rather premature - it's never happened to a car I have owned before.

My suspicion is that the hub was designed for a smaller lighter car (C5/ 407) and is being made to do duty on the much heavier C6. But, hey, I knew this car was never going to be as clockwork as my previous Subaru.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club