C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

How to improve visibility in the winter

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Wed Oct 28 2009, 04:46pm

Member No: #1
Whilst the C6 mirrors look great and are heated they have some limitations. Rain tends to drip off the top edge onto the glass and it won't take long in the winter months to render them fairly useless! (did on my C4)

The rear screen is also supposed to self clean via air flowing over it, but it does stay wet at lower speeds

I got fed up with the mirrors always being unusable on the C4 after a few motorway miles in dirty weather so I have decided to do something about it in advance.

So, I have cleaned the mirrors and all the windows externally using Turtle Wax Extreme Nano-Tech glass cleaner

Then I applied CarPlan Nanomeric Self Clean Glass Seal and Protect

Nano particles bond to the glass, making the surface completely smooth, allowing the water to run off instantly, taking dirt with it! With Nanomeric Glass Seal & Protect long-term visibility is increased.

It's almost like having invisible windscreen wipers - water runs away before your eyes as you drive during the rain!

After a weeks driving in some wet and dirty conditions I can still see through the mirrors and the rear screen visibility is much improved

I haven't done the windscreen around the 'Rain Sensor' as I have heard some stories of Rain-X causing wipers to 'skitter' and 'judder' across the screen and the auto wipers to enable erratically and don't know how CarPlan will perform so have avoided doing it

This wasn't a cheap option costing circa £25.00 but well worthwhile
Website
Phil   
Wed Nov 18 2009, 10:07am
Member No: #4
Oh good one, might give this a try on the C5. I have exactly the same problem having the same design concave glass - rain water never clears, only at 60+ which is a rareity on my journeys.
bdeithrick   
Tue Mar 30 2010, 08:39pm
Member No: #70
weather

Those in the British isles will know today 30 march was very bad weather in Ireland,, we had 1-2c rain and slight , snow
My motorway experience was very good the car cruised well and wipers where super.

but

The rain came off the mirror hinges onto the door window and ran up with the wind onto the glass, this blocked the view to the mirror, both sides, were blocking line of sight to the mirrors. plus the mirrors were in no state to provide much vision through them either.

The rear convex screen has no vision through it either, i cant believe the wind is meant to shift rain from the screen. as i was travelling at 70mph, i could see nothing out he back.

it all checks out with what i have read previously on the topic. bring on the summer
Chris Burmajster   
Sun May 30 2010, 03:31pm
Member No: #81
I've used Rain X on all my cars for years and it works a treat. As soon as you move off the water just falls off the glass. I don't use it on the windscreen though; it makes the wipers smear. You need to re-apply every few months or so.
tonyrome   
Sun May 30 2010, 07:15pm
Member No: #15
chris.burmajster wrote ...
I've used Rain X on all my cars for years and it works a treat. I don't use it on the windscreen though; it makes the wipers smear.

Maybe I got some on the wipers when I applied it, as I've noticed the smearing problem. The wipers tend to judder across the screen, too, so not very successful in my case.
capt109   
Sun May 30 2010, 10:53pm
Member No: #47
I use Rain X on the side windows and mirrors, but I do not use it any more on the rear window as the water clears better without it. When applied on ghe rear window the water collected about 1/3 up the screen making the rear view worse.

It also helps to keep the front lights clean in the winter and easier to remove the bugs in the summer.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club