C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Strange Braking problem

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Trainman   
Sat Dec 04 2010, 04:53pm

Member No: #86
Slightly different occurance, however, Got in mine yesterday and released the handbrake, Normal I let my foot off the brake and the car creeps forward but this time nothing....

Strange, I think to myself, anyway bit of throttle and off I go, but something still isn't right. I come to a stand and open the drivers door, give the car a touch on the throttle and look at the back wheel to see it locked up. Now at this point I get an "ABS Faulty" warning, "Handbrake Failure" and "Skid/Wheelslip" warning.

WHAT THE CHUFFIN' HELL !! Okay what do I do? I have by this time stopped again, I decide to reapply the handbrake, switch the car off, remove the key, I then give it 10 seconds, restart the car, Release the Handbrake, all is well. No messages, no lights on the dashboard, nothing !! and It's not happened before or since.

I'm hoping it was just ice, it was -6 yesterday morning,
verycleverman   
Sat Dec 04 2010, 05:25pm
Member No: #65
Trainman wrote ...

Slightly different occurance, however, Got in mine yesterday and released the handbrake, Normal I let my foot off the brake and the car creeps forward but this time nothing....

Strange, I think to myself, anyway bit of throttle and off I go, but something still isn't right. I come to a stand and open the drivers door, give the car a touch on the throttle and look at the back wheel to see it locked up. Now at this point I get an "ABS Faulty" warning, "Handbrake Failure" and "Skid/Wheelslip" warning.

WHAT THE CHUFFIN' HELL !! Okay what do I do? I have by this time stopped again, I decide to reapply the handbrake, switch the car off, remove the key, I then give it 10 seconds, restart the car, Release the Handbrake, all is well. No messages, no lights on the dashboard, nothing !! and It's not happened before or since.

I'm hoping it was just ice, it was -6 yesterday morning,

How bizarre! I could have written this myself. Exactly the same happened to mine yesterday. Only difference is, I drove round to the paper shop before switching off/restarting. Experience tells - I've had the same happen on the C5. It's just frozen slush on the brake components.

Pete.
C6Dave   
Sat Dec 04 2010, 06:41pm

Member No: #1
Sounds like it was iced up. If you can leave the car safely in 'Park' i.e. on a reasonably flat road with the wheels pointing to the curb so it can't roll away etc, I would leave the handbrake off in this weather.
Website
Dave Mc   
Sun Dec 05 2010, 11:24am
Member No: #64
The same thing happened to me this week and I put it down to the freezing weather. All I had to do was drive up and down the drive to free things up. Haven't used my handbrake since as its still below freezing

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club