A/C Question

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
smihaialex   
Fri May 24 2013, 09:29pm
Member No: #1031
Hi guys,

As anyone who's read my thread knows, I've re-gassed the A/C about a month or so ago. The operation was done in a Citroën Service Shop using the A/C robot thingy. The car had no gas whatsoever in the system so the robot vacuumed it for about 20 minutes, then filled it with freon or whatever more eco-friendly gas they are using these days.

After this my A/C started working just fine and I was so happy about this that I didn't bother to fiddle with it and take a note of anything going on, and it works fine to this day.

However, in the past month temperatures have risen, so I got the chance to enjoy the A/C extensively and I noticed that, in my LHD car, the right hand dashboard air outlets are a tad warmer than the driver's side dash air outlets - the air coming through them is still cold, but even if the temperature is set to the same for both driver and passenger, the passenger's side outlets are just that little bit warmer (still cold, but noticeably warmer than driver's side)...

So, I guess the question is - is this normal, or do you think that I might be dealing with a burst passenger's side air duct?

Thank you.

Regards,
Sammy
Hattershaun   
Sat May 25 2013, 05:25am
Member No: #320
Sammy, I'd be willing to let you know how the a/c in my car performs as a comparison for you.
Weather in the UK is not conducive to this currently; yesterday it was 7 degrees C, it felt cold and was raining for much of the day. Winter is still with us!
C6Dave   
Sat May 25 2013, 06:28am

Member No: #1
If the system is anything like that in the C4 it could be the air flow change gears inside the unit.

They wear/break and don't move correctly, have a look at: - Click Here -
Website
mark28   
Sat May 25 2013, 07:13pm
Member No: #102
Or could the sensors for the sunshine be making a difference ?
C6Dave   
Sun May 26 2013, 07:37am

mark28 wrote ...

Or could the sensors for the sunshine be making a difference ?

You could try to reset them, both set to 21c and drive the car for 20 minutes or so
Website
smihaialex   
Sun May 26 2013, 09:46pm
Thank you guys! I have to say that I first noticed this behavior after the car had been parked outside and sitting in a fair amount of sunshine, from one side... I'll try to reset the sensors and compare the experience.

It you find something else out, please let me know!

Peace out,
Sammy
smihaialex   
Tue Jul 09 2013, 06:50pm
So, it's been a couple of months since I regassed the A/C and I have been keepin' an eye on its behaviour.

Long story short, the left zone blows cold air, while the right zone, seems to just blow air from the outside. This is why, when the car is parked inside and the parking temperature is 25 deg. C or less, you can hardly tell the difference between the left and the right zones. But when the car is parked outside and possibly in the sunshine, the difference is huge - left blowing cold air and right blowing hot air

It's weird because everything else seems to be working perfectly - air flow is constant and equally powerful on both the left and the right zone, air distribution is spot on - down (feet), center (body), up (windshield) etc.

Thoughts? What do you think could be wrong here?

Thank you,
Sam
C6Dave   
Wed Jul 10 2013, 07:46am

Very common problem on the C4 range, have a read of the faq at C4owners: - Click Here -
Website
mark28   
Wed Jul 10 2013, 01:23pm
I have the same issue and symptoms starting today. Does anyone know where the bit that is faulty is situated on a c6 ( Drivers side )
smihaialex   
Wed Jul 10 2013, 09:09pm
So, 1st thing's 1st - thank you Dave for the redirect - it was very relevant

2nd - I took the car to my service and indeed they stumbled upon the Citroën Service info bulletin and after diagnosing the car for half a day, they found it to be very relevant.

3rd - Unfortunately, the repair kit for the C6 it's a lil' bit more complicated and a lil' bit more expensive than for the C4 - it features some plastic bits but also a motor and some other stuff, including some special lubricant... And since you have to take apart the whole dashboard and console, up to the windshield to get to where the problem is, it's not exactly an easy DIY job (at least as far as I'm concerned) Total cost including labour will be of about GBP 300.

I ordered the parts - they will arrive by the end of next week, so Monday, the week after next I'm taking the car to them to get this fixed - they told me it's a 2 day job, so I'll get it back on Tuesday evening at the earliest, but most likely on Wednesday morning...

@ Mark: Hope this info helps. If you get the car diagnosed and the diagnostic is significantly different, please be sure to let me know...

Keep you posted,
Sam
mark28   
Thu Jul 11 2013, 04:59am
Oh dear. Well I think it will have to wait. Another quality citroen part !
gmerry   
Thu Jul 11 2013, 08:31am
Member No: #21
Hi all, according to the launch literature (download on this site), original C6s were equipped with Visteon Front and Rear climate control system. Hardly another poor quality part!

If one looks at the filter catalogues, Citroen changed the supplier to BEHR and the therefore detailed design and components mid way through production. Mann's literature lists the change at ORGA 11557 approx July 2008 build date.

Therefore it would be interesting to compare RP numbers for the above two posters (Mark and Sammy) to see first whether they have the same system.

Regards
G

NB, I can't see why there should be any common failure modes with C4?
smihaialex   
Thu Jul 11 2013, 11:12am
Well, my car, having been built in 2006, definitely has the VISTEON climate control system

Oh, and another thing, while the left side does blow significantly cooler air than the right side which just seems to be blowing air from the outside, it is NOT as cold as I think it should be (not as cold as in my C4 par example)...

Why do you think that is? Should I also replace the condenser?

Thanks,
Sam
C6Dave   
Thu Jul 11 2013, 06:03pm

smihaialex wrote ...

Why do you think that is? Should I also replace the condenser?

Thanks,
Sam

No, if it's cold on one side the condenser is fine, it's the flaps for selecting cooled or hot air that are the issue
Website
smihaialex   
Thu Jul 11 2013, 08:43pm
But it just doesn't seem cold enough...

I mean, in my C4 the air coming through the vents is sooo cold, that if you breath it in, you can feel pneumonia setting in

But in the C6 is just so-so, no chance of getting pneumonia...

What else, if not the condenser? Just the flaps? Perhaps some of the hot air from outside getting mixed in?

Thank you,
Sam
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club