driving in snow and severe conditions/snow chains

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
citrohanc6   
Wed Jan 09 2013, 04:43pm
Member No: #329
as i'm a complete debutant concerning this;

can someone inform me what kind of snow chains are the ones to chose (regarding damage to the alloys and ease of handling).

Is there an alternative for chains under the c6 (something like socks???)

There are new Nokians WD3 225 55 17 under.

The xm with alpins was superb on slopes but as the big 6 weigths 350Kg more and the inclinations i'm targetting at will be steeper i'm concerned to drive without chains in the boot.

Any thoughts esp. from our Scottish and Scandinavian friends highly appreciated.
Ingolf   
Wed Jan 09 2013, 08:33pm
Member No: #474
I have something called auto socks that I bought a couple of years ago, to another citroen. Though I've never actually had to use them, but as they are surrounding the tire very tight, it must definitely allow for some higher speeds than snow chains.
I'm not sure if the dimensions will match my C6 now, but for sure the right size should be possible to find for sale.
I can't see any reason they shouldn't fit on a big 6, as the wheels aren't different compared to conventional cars. It might eve be easier to mount, as you can lift the car.
gmerry   
Thu Jan 10 2013, 12:17am
Member No: #21
Hi hanc6, I have a set of Michelin rope "chains" in the boot for emergencies but would not expect them to last any great distance. Regarding damage to the alloys, best bet is just to run with 17" steel rims.

Regards
G
michaelb   
Thu Jan 10 2013, 07:16am
Member No: #14
My C6 spent last winter in the Alps where we had the heaviest snowfall in thirty years. I never had a moment's problem, on any conditions, including deeeeeeep snow, on my 17" Nokians. The chains stayed in the boot the whole season.
smihaialex   
Thu Jan 10 2013, 09:37am
Member No: #1031
Thank you @MichaelB, that's great news... I was a bit worried because the past few winters in Romania have seen heavy snowfalls and I really didn't know how the C6 would fare...

Sam
citrohanc6   
Thu Jan 10 2013, 06:59pm
Member No: #329
thanks gentlemen,
this is quite encouraging esp. what Michael wrote. As for now i think i buy a set of cheap 9mm chains and fabricate a wheel protector from the plasticboard that's left over from the snowguard.
What i heard lately Gerry and Ingolf is that socks and rope chains are not allowed as a stand in for chains in Swiss, but correct me if wrong.
Together with the sump heater and snowguard info here this forum is very very useful (esp. in wintertime haha)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club