Steering wheel control buttons

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
rswestling   
Thu Jun 12 2014, 08:23am
Member No: #204
Hello,

After years of wanting one, I'm finally taking the plunge into C6 ownership. I found a lovely low mileage dark grey over cream C6. The body is straight as can be, the rear seats look like never having been sat in, and in general all is good...however, the buttons on the steering wheel for the cruise and radio are in a terrible state. The graphics, and covering have sort of 'bubbled' away.

So, first, is this common? (Yes I did a search and found only one post that mentions this), and second, can the buttons be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert
gmerry   
Thu Jun 12 2014, 09:32am
Member No: #21
Hi Robert, welcome to the joys of C6 ownership.

Regarding the steering wheel buttons, these are only for the cruise control / limiter. The radio is controlled via the right hand auxilliary stalk.

If you are dealing with cosmetically poor steering wheel buttons, replacement will be your only option so either buy an entire steering wheel from a dismanantler, or get a quote from your dealer for the buttons (comes as an entire set). The dealer will quote many hundreds on squids for supply and fit. Some of the ebay dismantlers also seem to think C6 spares are made of gold-dust.

Any chance of posting a photo of the buttons.

Regards

G

PS, replacement of buttons is not uncommon, but I think this is mostly down to loss of cruise control function rather than button cosmetics. The underlying problems causing loss of cruise function is usually a fault with brake stop switch or wiring harness tension under the wheel.
Bishop   
Thu Jun 12 2014, 10:07am
Member No: #868
This is a helpful post - I have exactly the same issue on one of my buttons and was due to engage a dealer in a disucssion on this very subject. So, I await further well informed posts.
Cisco   
Thu Jun 12 2014, 11:20am
Member No: #1429
Hi,

Slight thread drift but may be of use to anyone with issues with the cruise & speed control buttons.

When I got my car the buttons didn't work. After a bit of research here, I purchased a new switch (passenger footwell) which came with an extended loom. The buttons then worked but only sporadically.

Once the buttons were working, as often as not they would stop again after the ignition had been switched off. Then I found that if I gave the steering column a good bump with my fist on the underside the buttons would work again. The up/down/left/right shake trick didn't work.

So I took the shroud off the column and shuggled (tech term) the various connector blocks. Result! No more problems.

Citroens...
drummond   
Thu Jun 12 2014, 08:49pm
Member No: #238
As ever, dismantlers over the water have more at a good price. Mine were replaced under guarantee, and the new ones are better-ie, the graphics stay put.

I'm with Cisco on shuggling the connector blocks, although I used a different term....
Hattershaun   
Fri Jun 13 2014, 06:47am
Member No: #320
Steering wheel cruise control switches and wiring loom are Citroen part number 6554RS,
currently showing on Citroen Service as
Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00006554RS ENGAGEMT SWITCH 65.10 GBP 78.12 GBP 78.12 GBP

I bought this one for an Australian friend, who will collect when he visits me.

Trainman   
Fri Jun 13 2014, 09:30pm

Member No: #86
I've got the same problem on mine, something else to put n the 'roundtoit' list.
Moedeeb   
Sat Jun 14 2014, 07:51am
Member No: #1606
I have the same bubbling on these buttons. I actually thought that the little bumps were brail. Then I thought why would a blind person be driving! Anyway it must be a common problem but I have got used to it and it's hardly noticeable.
rswestling   
Sat Jun 14 2014, 09:15pm
Member No: #204
Many thanks for all the helpful replies. I assume the airbag has to be removed to replace the controls, but it's great to know what the part numbers are and what to expect cost wise.

Robert

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club