C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Alarming malfunction?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
magicands   
Sat Oct 20 2012, 08:25pm
Member No: #1021
Here is something that has surprised me.

My C6 went into Citroen Coventry in order for them to activate a new tyre pressure sensor, whilst in there the technicians ran a diagnostic on my car (which was clean) and removed some old faults that were still showing in the diagnostics on my computer.

Since getting the car back and upon turning the ignition on I am now greeted by 3 alarms.

The first says that my ESP is faulty, this is followed about 15 seconds later by an ABS faulty alarm and then around the same time I get a Faulty handbrake cable alarm.

These alerts remain on the dash and locked into the computer until I turn off the ignition and then switch it on again, they then clear and my car returns to normal.

There appears to be nothing wrong with either the ESP, ABS or indeed the Handbrake cable and these warnings vanish for a day or so before once again returning upon my first entry into the vehicle.

I should point out that this problem was not present before my C6 went into Citroen Coventry, any ideas?

Thanks,
Gary.
Website
Tjensen   
Sat Oct 20 2012, 08:53pm
Member No: #954
Sounds like the wheel sensor circuit (sometimes) report an error when starting from cold. This also happened to my 1992 XM, the problem turned out to be an unreliable relay that should engange after self-test.

Maybe: Bad connections, beginning of failing sensor or most likely: there is some connection that is not properly put together or that is touched by accident.

Start with ABS sensors and follow connections that may have been touched...

If the wheels were off, maybe an ABS sensor ?
C6Dave   
Sun Oct 21 2012, 06:41am

Member No: #1
Either a wheel sensor or the Brake Pedal Switch in the passenger foot well.
Website
citrohanc6   
Sun Oct 21 2012, 10:12am
Member No: #329
As dave mentioned; not alarming: new brake sensor is 30 pounds, ABS will be more, so hope it's a brake sensor. Almost regular maintenance.
regards
gmerry   
Sun Oct 21 2012, 06:07pm
Member No: #21
Rear Brake sensor way be a lowish cost, but labour involves removal of exhaust and dropping fuel tank so not sso cheap!

Regards
G
citrohanc6   
Sun Oct 21 2012, 06:22pm
Member No: #329
oops i meant the brake switch (but called it a sensor quite confusing of me) in the footwell under the brake pedal. Had it replaced two weeks ago at 60 euro. The oekazes concerning abs esp and handbrake are all gone and the cc works without any flaws now.
It is the abs sensor you are referring to Gerry isn't it?

Regards
Winus
magicands   
Mon Oct 22 2012, 11:08am
Hi Winus, your problem was the same as mine, ESP warning, Parking brake warning and ABS warning which was solved by replacing a faulty switch under the brake pedal, am I correct?
Also C6Dave, you mention a rear brake sensor located near to passnger footwell, I take it that this is under the vehicle?
Website
C6Dave   
Mon Oct 22 2012, 12:24pm

Nope, it's the Brake Pedal Switch which is inside the passenger compartment in the nearside footwell on RHD cars.

The car is built for LHD and the clutch and brake switches are in the original location. All that Citroen do is add a rail across to the right to hang the pedals on.........
Website
magicands   
Mon Oct 22 2012, 07:04pm
C6Dave wrote ...

Nope, it's the Brake Pedal Switch which is inside the passenger compartment in the nearside footwell on RHD cars.

The car is built for LHD and the clutch and brake switches are in the original location. All that Citroen do is add a rail across to the right to hang the pedals on.........

How do I access this switch Dave?
Website
C6Dave   
Tue Oct 23 2012, 06:37am

It's pretty much the same process as the C4 in this FAQ: - Click Here -

Only difference is the look/layout of the sound proofing under the glovebox.
Website
magicands   
Tue Oct 23 2012, 02:53pm
Dave, thanks, I dropped the car into Citroen Coventry today and they have checked the Brake switch and it would appear to be working fine, they now have to run a 2 hour diagnostic on the car (£214.00) to try and source the problem.
I agreed to the diagnostic as I really had no choice, I only hope they find the problem as its an expensive way of finding out that they cant discover the problem?
Website
speedfix   
Tue Oct 23 2012, 10:09pm
Member No: #1043
I would have thought that a quick check for any codes first or is none showing?
A two hour diagnostic check! what is going on in that time?
Gobxoy   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 08:42am
Member No: #786
magicands wrote ...

Dave, thanks, I dropped the car into Citroen Coventry today and they have checked the Brake switch and it would appear to be working fine, they now have to run a 2 hour diagnostic on the car (£214.00) to try and source the problem.
I agreed to the diagnostic as I really had no choice, I only hope they find the problem as its an expensive way of finding out that they cant discover the problem?

As you are paying for the diagnostic session, then I would insist on the Lexia printouts. You need to tell then that these will be required, but they should take a before and after print and during if it's long.

It just like when you get a solicitors fees invoice, always ask for their cost analysis, you will be amazed how detailed they are, yeah had one that was about 1/4" thick of cheap (thin) computor paper.

magicands   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 05:15pm
Ok, here is the News (as ELO once sang) rear ABS sensor failure total cost of parts around £65 but add to that 3 hours labour to fit the parts and 2 hours labour from yesterday my total bill is now £667.00
OUCH - and this ABS sensor was replaced in July 2011 (before I owned the car) so its lasted 15 months!!
Not a great advert for Citroen to be honest.

Thanks for the heads up on the Lexia report though, I will ask for a copy.

I have authorised the work to be done but have to say my initial reactions to my C6 are not good, I have no ambient door lighting working on any doors although it is fitted, no illumination on sport and suspension buttons by autostick which is crazy at night. Tyre pressure sensor failed and blew out deflating the tyre instantly within 2 weeks of me getting the car and the Jack (UNUSED) buckled under the load of the car when lifting it up and failed.

I am missing my Vauxhall Omega !!
Website
Ped   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 05:34pm
Member No: #82
magicands wrote ...

no illumination on sport and suspension buttons by autostick which is crazy at night.

I don't think they do light up. The buttons have some relief to them so you can quite easily find them at night if you're inclined to do so.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club