Drivers window won't move at all

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
321dave   
Sat Jun 13 2015, 10:41am
Member No: #614
Hi all,
I was working on the C6 this week, on the left side suspension to start with. All went well. When I finished and went to reconnect the battery and start the car, no problems. Then I went to close the windows and all worked fine, but then I noticed the driver window won't move? I also then noticed the (all close function) didn't work Idir for all the windows with the key fob Idir( where you hold the fob close button for a few seconds)
Has anyone encountered this problem before? I though it might be a reinitialising problem with the window but it's not making any sounds, but maybe it's a fuse or something else? Any thoughts very much appreciated guys.

Kind regards
321dave
cruiserphil   
Sat Jun 13 2015, 09:17pm

Member No: #38

Did you try a battery disconnect and reconnect again?

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Sat Jun 13 2015, 10:34pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

Best regards,

Phil C.

Hi Phil,
I thought to try that but it didn't seem to make any difference. Funny thing I did notice was that before I disconnected the battery I had left all four doors and boot open. I noticed that the windows at the back opened as normal but the front passenger window would not then move, but with the ignition on it would, But the two rear window would move without needing the Ignition on. It looks a bit like a can bus error or some issue coming from the disconnection. It will be interesting to see if it restores itself in a few days! And Lexis shows up no error codes with the drivers door? Interesting one. When I'm finished the suspension work I'll check the fuse just in case.

Kind regards
321dave
321dave   
Fri Jun 19 2015, 11:50am
321dave wrote ...

cruiserphil wrote ...

Best regards,

Phil C.

Hi Phil,
I thought to try that but it didn't seem to make any difference. Funny thing I did notice was that before I disconnected the battery I had left all four doors and boot open. I noticed that the windows at the back opened as normal but the front passenger window would not then move, but with the ignition on it would, But the two rear window would move without needing the Ignition on. It looks a bit like a can bus error or some issue coming from the disconnection. It will be interesting to see if it restores itself in a few days! And Lexis shows up no error codes with the drivers door? Interesting one. When I'm finished the suspension work I'll check the fuse just in case.

Kind regards
321dave

Just to complete the issue raised by myself, on the third reconnection, and with the engine running for a good few minutes this time, all was sorted. All working as normal again.

sotweedfactor   
Mon Jun 22 2015, 08:43am
Member No: #2185
Hi Dave

When you say 'third reconnection' what do you mean? Did you repeatedly disconnect the battery?

On my car all of the window motors work OK. But on the drivers door control, 1) the rear RH window will not operate at all; 2) the drivers window will move first down then up only when the control is pulled upwards into its 'intermediate' position (pushing it down has no effect). I'm suspecting the control cluster on the door handle but am aware of multifarious other possibilities.

Cheers, Eric
321dave   
Mon Jun 22 2015, 11:41am
sotweedfactor wrote ...

Hi Dave

When you say 'third reconnection' what do you mean? Did you repeatedly disconnect the battery?

On my car all of the window motors work OK. But on the drivers door control, 1) the rear RH window will not operate at all; 2) the drivers window will move first down then up only when the control is pulled upwards into its 'intermediate' position (pushing it down has no effect). I'm suspecting the control cluster on the door handle but am aware of multifarious other possibilities.

Cheers, Eric

Hi Eric,
I had disconnected the battery initially to start the suspension renovations and repairs. Then I needed to move the car slightly and reposition it for the other side (same work) so I reconnected the battery to start the car.

Now, all was fine but I noticed that the window on the drivers side didn't want to move, but I had lowered all the windows before the disconnection and when I thought about the problem later on I realised in fact all three of the other windows were in fact lowered by opening the doors! and then disconnecting the battery, so if you like the car lowered the other windows and then I disconnected.

And the drivers door was lowered by myself and then left as the others( slightly open on the lack) so when it didn't move initially it needed to relearn itself, but the others didn't. So it was my fault and not the cars! Have you plugged in to a Lexia yet? My car had no codes showing no fault with the drivers door.

So I knew it was something like economy mode and my mistake moving the window myself. After the engine started and ran for about 5mins the window then started to move again and I had to teach it to go up to the closed position then down again.

But Lexia will most likely show you if you have a faulty switch module on the door? Can you move the other windows with the drivers switch module?

Kind regards
321dave
e3steve   
Wed Jun 24 2015, 07:46am
Member No: #1163
sotweedfactor wrote ...

Hi Dave

Cheers, Eric
Mine was like that when I first bought it, Eric.

Try removing and disassembling (carefully and with a small, flat-blade screwdriver, as it's all plastic dog-clips) then clean the membrane and the pcb using a clean toothbrush doused with switch cleaner, meths or isopropanol (alcohol), letting the liquid evaporate before re-assembly. If you have none of these to hand, then vodka would do the trick.

Try not to wash away the lubricant from the mirror controls' contacts.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club