Tyre pressure, getting it right

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
arconell3   
Mon Oct 08 2012, 11:11am
Member No: #922
Hi all,
I haven't read about it here but in the German C6 fora I regularly see posts about the influence on the comfort level of the C6 of rather small changes in tyre pressure. I have meanwhile experimented a bit with tyre pressures (C6 2.7HDI with Primacy HP's 245/45 18). According to the drivers door sticker it says 2,4 Bar = 34 psi for light to medium loads, 2,6 Bar = 37 psi for heavy loads. I have mine usually at 37 psi even though most of the time there is just me or me and my girlfriend on board. So recently I lowered it to 34 psi and it does indeed make a very noticeable difference, specifically on short bumps and brick paved roads and cobblestones, which are filtered out a lot, and I mean a lot, better. There is also less noise from the tyres on any surfaces. I was wondering if anyone here has had the same experience and whether this is just true for the Primacy HP's or also for other tyre brands?
Website
gmerry   
Mon Oct 08 2012, 11:48am
Member No: #21
I run mine with rear tyres about 5psi lower than spec. That helps comfort and stops the rear tyres wearing out in the middle.

Regards
Gerry
skipppy   
Mon Oct 08 2012, 12:37pm
Member No: #914
During some time racing in Formula Ford I learned from a racing car manufacturer with a Lotus background that tyres are virtually springs that need to be tensioned to support a given weight. Ergo, that a heavier car needs more pressure in the tyres.

In lighter cars I have run 32 - 34psi in the past, but the C6 is a heavy car and I've started using the 35 psi that I've seen recommended on this site, and it seems pretty good, unless the car is loaded up. In that case I reckon I'd go up to 37 psi all around.
Gobxoy   
Mon Oct 08 2012, 06:22pm
Member No: #786
gmerry wrote ...

I run mine with rear tyres about 5psi lower than spec. That helps comfort and stops the rear tyres wearing out in the middle.

Regards
Gerry

Gerry is that 32psi?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club