C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Engine Failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
MattHwk   
Sat Jan 07 2012, 07:04pm
Member No: #246
Well, after all my different trials and tribulations......wishbones, PAS pipes, Navidrive, Rear deflector, glove box, centre console, etc, etc, .........

Doing a fair whack on the M42 heading towards a day at Worcester for the Rugby...disaster struck.

Engine stuttered, revs up and down, then doing 90mph in lane 3, the car died. Engine cut and fortunately gearbox shifted into neutral. I coasted onto hard shoulder as thankfully the PAS still held true.

No fault warning present but no response on trying to restart, just an electronic click. Seems the management system had shift things down. Waited an hour and a half for the AA. Rolled her onto the low loader and recovered to my local dealer. A large engine oil stain was left behind on the hard shoulder.

.....and is was nice fresh oil as only serviced last week.

I obviously fear the worst.

Ringtone   
Sat Jan 07 2012, 07:31pm
Member No: #285
oh dear, I eel for you
ciao_chao   
Sat Jan 07 2012, 11:37pm
Member No: #518
That is an odd one. The 2.7 lump is used quite widely. Anyway I wish you all the best, and please keep us posted.
C6Dave   
Sun Jan 08 2012, 11:55am

Member No: #1
I don't like the sound of the 'engine oil puddle' especially only a week after a service a week ago.
Website
Ped   
Sun Jan 08 2012, 12:07pm
Member No: #82
That's what I was thinking, Dave. Wonder if something wasn't screwed back in properly
C6Dave   
Sun Jan 08 2012, 03:27pm

Member No: #1
You do have to wonder about that.

Off topic but related. I was talking to a few people this morning at the classic club meet and was regaled with a tale of a car that had been in for service (non Citroen) and a brake pad change.

Transpires that someone on day release from college had fitted pads to a Fiesta, with the metal back facing the discs.............

You really wouldn't believe it
Website
MattHwk   
Sun Jan 08 2012, 03:46pm
I had done around 600 miles trouble free since the service so don't think it was related. If if is, i will have no way of knowing. Hoping for some serious goodwill from Citroen UK over the coming days.........current trade in value is 6k. What price a replacement engine (and Turbo (s) ) and heaven knows what else. Feeling pretty glum

Regretting not taking an extended warranty.........
Extant   
Mon Jan 09 2012, 12:37pm
Member No: #317
[%*^#@!] hell Matt, that's terrible.

It reminds me of an episode where some [%*^#@!] hadn't fitted an oil filter properly on a old MGA I used to own. One moment oil, next moment none.
gmerry   
Mon Jan 09 2012, 01:46pm
Member No: #21
So no warning lights flashed. What does the warning log say? Normally if an engine loses oil it will quickly overheat / lose power. Any large bangs

Maybe oil drain bung was not replaced and fell out from vibration. I learnt the hard way about this when 18.

Struggling to think what might cause sudden engine shutdown followed by external engine oil loss. An oil pump failure perhaps but why would that cause the puddle?

Regards
G

PS, fingers crossed the oil bung fell out and the engine management system "saved" the engine with no serious problems.
MattHwk   
Mon Jan 09 2012, 02:22pm
The block is cracked. No speculation on cause from dealer at this point, but my worst fears realised. I'm outside warranty, full history 105k. Waiting for decision from Slough. New Engine is 6k ex Vat. With my leaking brake pipes and suspension still outstanding, I'm chucking the towel in, come what may.

Looking at a DS5. owners site please Dave !
gmerry   
Mon Jan 09 2012, 04:48pm
Member No: #21
Matt, bad luck or what with the cracked block. Did you have any warranty cover at all?

Regards
G
Chevrons   
Mon Jan 09 2012, 05:23pm
Member No: #85
That’s painful Matt, you have my sympathy - for what that’s worth.
Sounds like my last car, a VW Caravelle with the 5cylinder 2.5 174bhp diesel. Brilliant engine, but at 162,000 the con-rod came out of the block leaving oil running out underneath (Apr 10). Catastrophic failure that would have cost £6k inc VAT for a new engine. However, we did get £7k cash for it through Ebay – sorry but I doubt you will achieve that.
drummond   
Mon Jan 09 2012, 05:48pm
Member No: #238
A secondhand engine, on the other hand, is about £2000, plus fitting. There were at least 3 around, unless someone's been buying them to store(!)
MattHwk   
Mon Jan 09 2012, 08:44pm
No warranty. I promised myself, with my expected milage I would take one. Never did.

Piston rod smashed through bottom of block. Described as hole in bottom of engine! Ongoing dialogue with Slough, and dealer.

I need to recover 6k, somehow.

Tried looking for breakers today. Nothing found, any leads or advise ?
Trainman   
Mon Jan 09 2012, 09:22pm

Member No: #86
MattHwk wrote ...

The block is cracked. No speculation on cause from dealer at this point, but my worst fears realised. I'm outside warranty, full history 105k. Waiting for decision from Slough. New Engine is 6k ex Vat. With my leaking brake pipes and suspension still outstanding, I'm chucking the towel in, come what may.

Flaming hell Matt, I'm GUTTED for you, wish I still had the old one at times like this for parts, engine, gearbox etc.

MattHwk wrote ...

Looking at a DS5. owners site please Dave !

Got say though Matt, that did make me chuckle
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club