New starter motor - Much improved starting

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
userpco   
Sun Jan 24 2016, 07:14pm
Member No: #622

userpco wrote ...
2) The Spoiler, which was stuck in the fully deployed position, is now working normally (thanks to Cisco's post Nov 2013) it was fixed during Diagnostic check in spite of no fault being flagged.

It'll happen again...

I was about to reply "What a pessimist you are, Steve" but "IT HAPPENED AGAIN"
see my reply/post on the new Spoiler thread
e3steve   
Sun Jan 24 2016, 10:53pm
Member No: #1163
userpco wrote ...

userpco wrote ...
2) The Spoiler, which was stuck in the fully deployed position, is now working normally (thanks to Cisco's post Nov 2013) it was fixed during Diagnostic check in spite of no fault being flagged.

It'll happen again...

I was about to reply "What a pessimist you are, Steve" but "IT HAPPENED AGAIN"
see my reply/post on the new Spoiler thread

Sorry to be the 'kiss of death', but I've had it so many times. You get used to it...

Although the lubrication / protection helps with keeping the corrosion at bay, I firmly believe that the main "sticking" issue is CANbus related.
userpco   
Mon Jan 25 2016, 09:12am
OK Steve, having googled "what is CANbus" I guess you could well be right. BTW how do you clean electrical connections?...thinking of removing shroud below steering column, ref. cruise control malfunction, before "It happened again"
Peter
Just read FAQ#215 will give Contralube a try
Tjensen   
Mon Jan 25 2016, 01:06pm
Member No: #954
If the system is greased, cleaned and oiled as often as door hinges or after every wash, problem might disappear. That happened to me.

But the system lives with rain, dirt, washing and ice. If it is stuck, the system (via CANbus) should detect the problem and try to solve it, and sometimes this is difficult if resistance is too great or the system have become confused. Spoiler position must be known to the system. Clean, grease, oil and a reset will solve many problems. A spray of WD40 may or may not solve it until next time...
gmerry   
Mon Jan 25 2016, 01:16pm
Member No: #21
Hi Tjensen, you wrote

If the system is greased, cleaned and oiled as often as door hinges or after every wash, problem might disappear

Better still, if the system is greased from new, problem will never appear in the first place. But DONT use WD40 (anybody recall trying to lubricate a bicycle chain with WD40?)

Regards
G

userpco   
Tue Jun 07 2016, 06:10pm

[/quote1453551042]
'Glow impatience' won't cause the motor to crank lazily; it will just make the engine's diesel knock more apparent when it 'catches'.

My glowplug indicator has only showed itself on three occasions, earlier this week, when it was frosty.
[/quote1465321754]
Hi Steve
You have now been proved right on all 3 points. I have just had a new starter motor fitted (eBay £150) labour £160 (IMO very good value) and it now starts up a treat where as it was showing the symptoms of flat battery.
Thanks again for your posts
e3steve   
Tue Jun 07 2016, 09:39pm
Member No: #1163
userpco wrote ...

e3steve wrote ...

'Glow impatience' won't cause the motor to crank lazily; it will just make the engine's diesel knock more apparent when it 'catches'.

My glowplug indicator has only showed itself on three occasions, earlier this week, when it was frosty.

Hi Steve
You have now been proved right on all 3 points. I have just had a new starter motor fitted (eBay £150) labour £160 (IMO very good value) and it now starts up a treat where as it was showing the symptoms of flat battery.
Thanks again for your posts

Yay, Peter! Great news; pleased that it was a successful fix!!
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club