C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Front Suspension Bottom Brush

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Huutch   
Sat Oct 10 2015, 04:04pm
Member No: #2112
Hey guys, my C6 has been in the shop today to get the front tyre's replaced. And when doing the tracking turns out both front suspension bottom brushes are completely shot, when braking my car pulls badly to the left, I thought it was just the bald tyres, obviously not. Has anybody experienced this problem, and is it costly to fix. I tried the garage today and they couldn't do it, recommended me to go to a Citroen dealership, and they reckon they'll have to replace both wishbones. I've found the part I need here - Click Here - so could I just take this to Citroen and they replace it like for like? Thanks.
Jodyone   
Sat Oct 10 2015, 04:16pm
Member No: #1240
Citroen won't replace just that bush, they'll want to replace the whole front pivot, at great expense. An independent garage might though, or you can do it yourself if you're competent. It's well reported on this site:

- Click Here -

Pictures here:

- Click Here -
e3steve   
Sun Oct 11 2015, 07:36am
Member No: #1163
I pressed mine out with two half-inch-drive sockets and a length of M12 studding with nuts & washers (don't use stainless steel studding and/or nuts -- it will 'gall' under load). One socket on the flange side, large enough to allow the flange itself to retreat into; the smaller socket large enough to press against the bush's inserted outer circumference, but small enough to press it through its home in the leg.

I used the same sockets, back-arsewards, to press the new bushes in.
321dave   
Sun Oct 11 2015, 09:45am
Member No: #614
e3steve wrote ...

I pressed mine out with two half-inch-drive sockets and a length of M12 studding with nuts & washers (don't use stainless steel studding and/or nuts -- it will 'gall' under load). One socket on the flange side, large enough to allow the flange itself to retreat into; the smaller socket large enough to press against the bush's inserted outer circumference, but small enough to press it through its home in the leg.

I used the same sockets, back-arsewards, to press the new bushes in.

Hi Steve, I fitted all new front suspension parts in the C6 this May. Job went well. That was my last job mechanically on the car. Car driving much better for all the work. Pockets less so! But I have a set of old parts now to cleanup and recycle for the next wear out time, approaching I guess in another 45000mls(life of the average FRIP joint). My question is related to the pushing out of the old bushes. As you described so well on the posts here, would a simple Stanley vice be good enough to push out the old bushes? This job is after the timing belt (thanks for the offer of your tools) most Likely after the Christmas period. Thanks again Steve.

e3steve   
Sun Oct 11 2015, 11:24am
Member No: #1163
The thread of a vice's screw may be a bit coarse, Dave, but all my bushes pressed out easily enough. I reckon you'd be good to go with your suggested method, though.

The only problem I had was with the top swivels; boy, were they tight!

I had both legs off the car and, one at a time, held each firm in a 6" vice on the bench. I de-peened the swivel's flange and fitted the Sealey castellated removal tool to the swivel and replaced the swivel's nut against a large washer in order to hold it in place.

With an assistant providing counter-torque via a 2m length of 3" x 2" timber through the driveshaft aperture (the part that looks like a small pelvic orifice!), my tool of choice was a one-metre-long Stilson wrench, carefully applied so as not to damage the Sealey tool's hex. That did the trick! Controlled torque, a metre away from the centre of rotation; no dramatic and sudden unscrewing action.

I have said tool if anyone needs to use it. Although the Stilson may cost a bit to ship -- it weighs about fifteen kilos!!

David Hallworth   
Sun Oct 11 2015, 06:53pm

Member No: #90
I stripped mine down to replace the O/S/F hub today as the wheel bearing was growling when being driven.

When I stripped it down the bottom arm bush doesn't look to healthy either so I'm going to order one tonight. I couldn't get the ABS sensor out of the hub in one piece either so am having to order a new front ABS sensor too.

From Citroen the front wheel bearing retails at £125, the FRIP joint retails at £105, however, the whole hub retails at £177. If you push your dealer they can give you quite a substantial discount on the hub. A genuine rear ABS sensor and the hub cost me around £200 from the main dealer.

One thing worth noting if you're going to change the hub, it doesn't come with any new lock nuts either. The locknuts on mine were in a pretty poor state so I'm replacing them for piece of mind. Both of my disc retaining screws sheered in the old hub, not an issue when replacing the hub so I'm order them tomorrow too.

David.
Huutch   
Mon Oct 12 2015, 07:28pm
Member No: #2112
Cheers for the replies, ended up going to a independent dealer, he's charged me £35 for each hub and bolts, and £130 labor, so all's not bad, just hope it sorts everything out and I don't need to be back in the garage!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club