C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Sphere Testing

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
scrappydoo   
Sat Nov 15 2014, 03:02pm
Member No: #1724
Would like to get my spheres tested as the ride is not what it should be. I haven't got the time or inclination to rig/make up my own tester but was wondering if anyone knew of anybody locally to the West Midlands who might be able to test them for me.

Also where I am likely to find well priced replacement spheres? Have seen monroe mentioned but they don't have them all stock and also IFHS but they take a while to deliver. Suplex doesn't appear to have a website anymore either which is a shame.
gmerry   
Sun Nov 16 2014, 11:13am
Member No: #21
Hi Scappydoo, Pleaides offer the option of checking and recharging the spheres: I'm sure they could offer new spheres well, if they cannot be recharged.

I had poor experience with a replacement Suplex spheres, might be down to the very high pressures for C6 application.

Regards
G
scrappydoo   
Sun Nov 16 2014, 04:48pm
The only issue with Pleiades is that they're not local to me sadly!
C6Dave   
Sun Nov 16 2014, 07:22pm

Member No: #1
scrappydoo wrote ...

The only issue with Pleiades is that they're not local to me sadly!

You could post or courier them......
Website
gmerry   
Mon Nov 17 2014, 10:58am
Hi all, something to consider for your spheres.

The front suspension spheres get a hard time (I have had complete failures which is a rutured diaphragm and therefore cannot be recharged) and the aftermarket one are of variable quality in terms of how long they last before loosing significant pressure. Buying New Citroen x 7 spheres is very expensive.

Conversely the rear spheres tend to last a long time, but will still go flat over time.

If using the Pleiaides service of recharging, consider getting your front spheres topped up to 40 bar (and replacing them on the rear). Then buying new best quality for the front. Remember that for all the V6 engined cars, the spheres are just simple accumulators, no damping function so spheres can be rotated around the car so long as the pre-charge is correct.

Regards
G
321dave   
Mon Nov 17 2014, 01:59pm
Member No: #614
gmerry wrote ...

Hi all, something to consider for your spheres.

The front suspension spheres get a hard time (I have had complete failures which is a rutured diaphragm and therefore cannot be recharged) and the aftermarket one are of variable quality in terms of how long they last before loosing significant pressure. Buying New Citroen x 7 spheres is very expensive.

Conversely the rear spheres tend to last a long time, but will still go flat over time.

If using the Pleiaides service of recharging, consider getting your front spheres topped up to 40 bar (and replacing them on the rear). Then buying new best quality for the front. Remember that for all the V6 engined cars, the spheres are just simple accumulators, no damping function so spheres can be rotated around the car so long as the pre-charge is correct. Apologies regarding the picture not rotated corrcetly.

Regards
G

Hi G,
thank you for that excellant explanation regarding the spheres. I will be going here next to start on the suspension repairs, as it needs attention. I have posted a picture from the drivers side Sphere below.

1. How can an inexperenced indidviual(myself)find out if the current sphere(s) on the vehicle is in fact the original Citroen factory fitted spheres?

2. it appears some movement (rotational mis-alignment) of the struct appears to have happened before my time with the car? what could have happened here? and could this be another potentially dangerous strut up through the bonnet problem starting or hopefully something differant?

Apologies regarding the picture!

kind regards
321dave

gmerry   
Mon Nov 17 2014, 04:10pm
Hi Dave, the original Citroen spheres have the precharge pressure stamped very firmly near the button on the "flattish" part of the saucer. So it will say 50, 70, or 40 for the V6 engined cars. There may well be other ink jetted numbers on the spheres, others on the forum may advise on this.

Regarding the rotating of your strut, it's well to be checking this out: did anyone ever establish if this was just a problem over a narrow range of RPs. Certainly the later struts have a different Replacement Part number. For the car with the strut through the bonnet, did the owner confirm the RP.

Regards
G
scrappydoo   
Mon Nov 17 2014, 08:15pm
Spoken to Pleiades and they do the regassing service for £30 a sphere and are happy to have the 7 spheres sent to them from where they will test and regas where necessary.

Does anyone have experience of the Pleiades regassing and if it is effective?
drummond   
Tue Nov 18 2014, 02:48pm
Member No: #238
Yes, I have had the spheres on my car done, about three years ago. Pleiades ere quick, efficient and cheap, and as part of the service they altered the spheres so they could be regassed.
gmerry   
Tue Nov 18 2014, 03:28pm
Hi Drummond, did you see my earlier post re possible rotation around the car.

The front spheres get a hard time. So say we have 7 spheres (A...G).

A&B should be 50, C should be 70, DEFG should be 40.

Recharge DE to 50
Recharge F to 70
Recharge A, B, C & G to 40.

Replace in their new berths

PS, think about plugging the threads with M36 x1.5 plugs to stop ingress of dirt whilst spheres are away getting recharged.
scrappydoo   
Tue Nov 18 2014, 04:24pm
Should I instruct pleiades what I want them gassed to or just leave them to it? I'm having a devils own job of removing the rear ones. Got one of the centre ones off but struggling with the other three. The tool I'm using means I'm struggling to even get it onto the wheel strut ones, my tool is like this one:

- Click Here -

Any tips?
gmerry   
Tue Nov 18 2014, 04:56pm
Srappydoo,

your tool is made for green spherical spheres, not ideal for saucers at all.

Worst case is cold chisel on outer rear spheres.

Remember to tell Pleiades which car you have: V6 (diesels and petrol) have different spheres/pressures to the 2.2 4 cylinder.

If you scrap two rear spheres, buy two new FRONT spheres instead and recharge the old fronts to 40 bar for the rear duty.

As an aide, Front Corners are 50 bar. Front Stiffness regulator is 70 bar. All 4 rear spheres are 40 bar.

Regards
G
scrappydoo   
Tue Nov 18 2014, 06:34pm
What should the tool look like for removing the grey spheres?

Didn't want to use a chisel for fear of damaging them but I think I might have to at this rate but just be as careful as possible!
gmerry   
Tue Nov 18 2014, 09:44pm
Check out the Pleiades website, under sphere tools they have a band wrench.

Check out this forum, search under sphere removal tool and you will find a sphere removal tool tweaked especially for the saucers.

Regards
G
scrappydoo   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 06:26pm
Spheres removed (some had to be cold chiselled off sadly, not sure the rear ones have ever been off!) Sent out to Pleiades for testing and recharge if necessary so we'll see how they get on!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club