Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Suspension Leg replacement - is it necessary?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Rooster   
Thu Oct 16 2014, 08:50pm
Member No: #1799
I have had my car serviced at a Main Dealer today, and received the inevitable call that they found other issues whilst carrying out the service.

At first they told me that both my pads and discs were shot and needed replacing immediately.

They then told me that both front suspension legs had leaky seals and required immediate attention.

£230 for the pads and discs and a further £850 to replace the suspension legs.

I started asking for pictures of the wear to the discs and evidence of leakage to the legs before I could even consider authorising the work. As this never appeared I called back and said that I would pay the service cost and sleep on the other problems.

When I collected the car I asked for the list of work they said was critical, but only received the noted from the service, and no prices. Strangely, the service notes said that my discs were well worn but the pads were 65% worn, which is just over half in my books, so not 'shot' as described to me on the phone.

I will get the brakes sorted (elsewhere) but should I be worried about their description of the suspension? The car isnt losing fluid and there are not stains on the ground, and on occasions the car wont move for a week.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
gmerry   
Fri Oct 17 2014, 08:00am
Member No: #21
On the disk wear criteria, there is a minium thickness at which the disks must be replaced. Otherwise, if there is sufficient pad thickness and no brake noise/vibration and they pull up evenly, no need to change yet. However when installing new pads, criteria is different as if there is scoring or an outer wear ridge, the new pads will not bed in properly. So ask the garage for the remaining thickness measurement or measure yourself.

With regards to the suspension leg, any visible oil leakage will be an MOT failure.... a car should not really be on the road with MOT failure type problem.

Regards
G
G
speedfix   
Fri Oct 17 2014, 11:19am
Member No: #1043
" any visible oil leakage will be an MOT failure."

Not a problem unless leak is shown to drip [Failure] in which case the LDS tank warning light will show and the fluid will need to be topped up.

"The car isnt losing fluid and there are not stains on the ground"

MOT advisory 2.7.3 shock absorber has light misting of oil.

Note over time oil misting [lubrication] can look like leaks if road water has not washed it off!
Rooster   
Fri Oct 17 2014, 12:12pm
Thanks guys. There's certainly no leakage thats causing marks on the ground or LDS tank warning lights, so I may leave them alone at the moment.

With regard to the discs, the car stops fine with no vibration or noise, but it's a big lump of a thing and I do a lot of motorway driving so I think I will invest in the discs.

Thanks again
gmerry   
Fri Oct 17 2014, 12:59pm
Member No: #21
On the 2.7HDi, there is no LDS tank warning light.

regards
G
Tjensen   
Fri Oct 17 2014, 02:09pm
Member No: #954
I am also eager to be informed on the possibility of a LDS level warning system(miss it, due to many experiences with DS, CX, XM)
My garage also want to change a suspension strut. No leak, but some "sweating" and therefore a MOT issue. I trust them, and think MOT is strict on any sign of leaks and sweating of oils etc (environmental issue, more than a worry about the car)
speedfix   
Fri Oct 17 2014, 06:13pm
Member No: #1043
Oh dear maybe i'm wrong to many bx cx ds etc with warning low LHM etc fluid!

Something tells me that if the LDS level drops to a low enough level not to maintain the selected ride height in the normal position a warnnig is given in the display screen before damage to the pump!..
Tjensen   
Fri Oct 17 2014, 06:33pm
Hope speedfix is right, but there are many reports on pumps and fuses and other problems because of low LDS level over time
C6Dave   
Fri Oct 17 2014, 07:11pm

Member No: #1
Time was that you had to check under the bonnet of your car on a daily/weekly basis which with modern cars and their on-board 'systems' people take for granted that if something is going wrong a 'sensor' will warn them.

I have to admit that I was guilty of the above with the C4 and C6's I have owned.

The reality though is different, as others have unfortunately discovered and regular visual checks should still be carried out.

I wouldn't think of venturing out in the T/A without checking fluids etc. 1st and if on a reasonably long run, before the return journey.

Maybe it's time we all countered the 'marketing hype' of 20,000+ mile service intervals (as some owners on site have already realised) and took some responsibility on checking our modern, complex machines far more often
Website
e3steve   
Sat Oct 18 2014, 11:56am
Member No: #1163
Rooster wrote ...

With regard to the discs, the car stops fine with no vibration or noise, but it's a big lump of a thing and I do a lot of motorway driving so I think I will invest in the discs......
New brake discs, particularly the front pair, make a big difference when braking from higher speeds. There's reduced heat dissipation when they get too worn.

I bought a pair of Brembo discs and EBC Green Stuff pads; once replaced I was able to sustain hard braking from 80mph to zero with no fade, noise or drama.
Rooster   
Sat Oct 18 2014, 01:20pm
Looks like I will have to put the brake replacement on hold - just pulled up outside the house to see steam bellowing from under the bonnet and coolant all over the road.

Looks like its the water pump as water is seeping from under the plastic trim, and I have managed to get it to the garage without any issues having filled the reservoir.

What kind of money will I be looking at for the pump replacement?

cruiserphil   
Sat Oct 18 2014, 06:58pm

Member No: #38
Make sure it's not the infamous coolant tank!
Plenty of posts on that in the forum!

Regards,

Phil C.
Rooster   
Sat Oct 18 2014, 07:39pm
Coolant tank looks intact, and I can see fluid from under the plastic trim.

Fingers crossed!
Tjensen   
Sun Oct 19 2014, 11:57am
Newly installed RedStuff pads, on the original discs. Not much difference, but then the 3,0Hdi alredy has almost perfect brakes (aside from the industry standard lag, play and softness in the pedal as opposed to the DS/CXS setup)
magicands   
Mon Oct 20 2014, 06:47pm
Member No: #1021
I replaced my discs and pads in July, my others were shot completely.
I discovered this when braking down from about 95mph and the car started "droning" or rather the discs did.
Upon investigation it was found the discs were gone but the pads were ok (ish) and had not reached the warning sensors.
Anyway, my Garage (Not Citroen) replaced the discs and pads for about £200.00
All fine now, very smoothe braking and no noise at all.
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club