Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Oil? Dripping on drive from front drivers side.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Moedeeb   
Fri Mar 07 2014, 08:51pm
Member No: #1606
Hi, just picked up my new second hand C6. The previous owner had it serviced only yesterday and after a 15 mile drive to my house I noticed a small puddle of very clean viscous fluid on my drive. It appears to be dripping from the various under car plastic shielding. On the drivers side only. I'm not very mechanical but it seems like engine oil but too clean to be from the actual engine. Maybe they spilled some during the service oil change??

It's a 70,000 mile 2.7 hdi. I really love the car but hope I haven't made a mistake! Any comments.
Trainman   
Fri Mar 07 2014, 11:27pm

Member No: #86
Andy, first thing to check is the "jubilee" clip inside the wheel arch liner, Citroën put one of those stupid push together clips on there and they are prone to them working loose.
e3steve   
Fri Mar 07 2014, 11:33pm
Member No: #1163
Welcome along!

If it's from just ahead of the o/s/f wheel then I'd suspect it to be LDS hydraulic oil. Is it orange in colour?

There's a possibility that the LDS reservoir has been overfilled; this is simple to check: run the engine, pop the bonnet open and remove the reservoir cap from the black tank just aft of the o/s headlamp. Put the suspension on its lowest setting and wait for about 20 seconds to ensure that the lowest height has been reached; you can monitor the central display for the "low position - max. speed 5mph" message. There should be no LDS visible within the filler neck; perhaps just about a film of fluid around the lowest section of the filter mesh.

Two other possibilities spring to mind: 1. The LDS return hose union is dribbling (the clips at this union are not great and should be replaced with a couple of appropriately-sized s/s marine grade worm drive hose clips. The aluminium union clips into a moulded hoop which is part of the screenwash container.

To get to this part the front bumper moulding has to be removed in its entirety.

2. The LDS hose where it joins to the bottom of the reservoir is leaking; this bit is accessed best by removing the o/s/f wheel and the under-wing lining.

Moedeeb   
Mon Mar 10 2014, 04:09pm
Thanks, I followed the instructions re fluid level and it was high. Managed to extract around 1/2 pint of LDS. I also managed to throw some down the side of the resevoir so I won't really know if it is sorted until it has change to drain / leak away.

I have also noticed a "chirping" on low idle which seems to crop up a bit in other posts. I assume altenator clutch issue? - I live near Harrogate and might give David Fox Citreon a try - Does anyone have any feedback on their service or prices?

Trainman   
Tue Mar 11 2014, 09:06am

Member No: #86
Andy,

There are a series of photos - Click Here - from when I had to to do the clip on mine....... just in case it is that......
Moedeeb   
Sun Mar 16 2014, 01:15pm
Thanks for the advice and pictures. I took the wheel off and the trim the culprit looks like the LDS return hose so new clip installed and hopefully sorted. One thing I noticed when I had the wheel off was that one of the sensor wires that should be attached to the wheel was severed (either deliberately cut or through some other cause) I should have taken a photo but it seems odd as there are no warning lights or messages regarding an issue. Anyone know which sensor might be disconnected without causing warnings or other issues?
C6Dave   
Sun Mar 16 2014, 02:35pm

Member No: #1
It's very common to find one broken and they are the brake pad wear sensors connections.

It's not really required as the pads get checked at services so I personally wouldn't worry about it and it won't throw any error (well mine certainly didn't)
Website
rogerandoutman   
Fri Mar 21 2014, 04:02pm
Member No: #466
I also found a brake wear cable broken, and have repaired it, there are two wires within the cable, so both need to be reconnected.
I know they do not offer much as indicators as one should regularly check the pads, but on a very wet night comming down the M1, I had the pad wear warning flashing on the satnav screen for about an hour. So water can cause a short acrss the wires and produce a false reading
ChrisHunter   
Sun Mar 23 2014, 09:55pm
Member No: #188
last time we saw intermittent warning lights for brakes was on our CX GTi turbo - coming back from a run to Bamburgh (386 miles there & back), when the weather was very wet, with a good few serious puddles (the engine was down to two cylinders on a few occasions) ... strange thing was that, while the rain was awful for most of the journey, when we came to go over the tops of the Pennines. when we expected to maybe be travelling in cloud, the night was dry & we had a really clear view of the stars ...
Moedeeb   
Sun Apr 06 2014, 05:54pm
I have now had the car looked at in two garages! And spent over£300. The Lds is still leaking and I'm now having a new Lds reservoir fitted at David fox citreon in Halifax. The crickets trapped under the bonnet have miraculously stopped after the trip to David Fox but apoarently they didn't do anything. Anyway they have updated the software via lexia and the suspension seems a bit tighter as mentioned by others on the forum. So I will wait a nd see if a new tank sorts out my problem.
Moedeeb   
Sun Apr 06 2014, 06:54pm
David fox is in Harrogate not Halifax. Maybe I need a software update

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club