Chipping a C6 2.7HDi

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Dave Mc   
Sat Dec 14 2013, 11:47am
Member No: #64
smihaialex wrote ...

What are you going to opt for @Dave Mc?!?

Cheerios,
Sammy

I'm opting for the 'blue' option a little more mpg and smoother power curve. I have to admit that the change from a C6 to C5 with the same engine resulted in a faster response from lights and roundabouts. I no longer have to plan in advance! The C5 is really quick of the mark and the remap should make her change up a little earlier than she does now when using a lot of right foot.
smihaialex   
Mon Dec 16 2013, 09:33am
Member No: #1031
Cool!

Thanks,
Sammy
Dave Mc   
Sat Dec 21 2013, 10:49pm
Went to get the C5 remapped today. The ECU was removed and then split to expose the circuit board. I was surprised how large and complex the board was. It was then taken to the bench to be 'unlocked' and the remap installed, this required six wires to be soldered to the board and then connected to a laptop via a socket. This is where it all went wrong as the correct socket could not be found so the ECU was put back together and re-fitted to the car. I will now contact Avon Tuning as Quantum have recommended them to carry out the remap. I will update the forum next year.
speedfix   
Sun Dec 22 2013, 04:05pm
Member No: #1043
IMHO chipping remapping is a total no go.
First if the modified parimiters set were OK for the cars then the manufactures would have carried them out in the first place.
I have had many probs with vehicles after the remapping has taken place and have put them back to standard to cure different probs.

Have know when remapping is carried out that some are removing the DPF systems to get more BHP.
All this has future problems as from Febuary 2014 the legal requirements of the mot will involve a check for the presence of the DPF.
What cost to return to standard!

Have heard that insurance companys can check the cars ECU etc for any remapping, with some accidents with no liability on thier part given, if they have not been informed and agreed before hand.
smihaialex   
Sun Dec 22 2013, 10:40pm
Legal stuff aside, car manufacturers themselves, DO use different software for the same engine...

For example... In the new C5 the 2.0 HDi Euro 4 unit came with either 138 or 160 BHP, and the Euro 5 version came with 140 BHP or 163 BHP. In the prev gen BMW 5 Series, the same 2.0 diesel engine came with 140 BHP, 160 BHP or 177 BHP.

In the new C6, the UK built 3.0 HDi comes with 240 BHP, while the same unit on the Jag XF boasts 275 BHP.

And so on and so forth...

The reason why manufacturers don't install the software giving the highest BHP output by default, has more to do with marketing & economical factors, then with technical requirements

Cheerios,
Sam
C6Dave   
Mon Dec 23 2013, 09:51am

Member No: #1
smihaialex wrote ...

The reason why manufacturers don't install the software giving the highest BHP output by default, has more to do with marketing & economical factors, then with technical requirements

Plus they have to take into account differing fuel quality across the globe. A car is tuned to run on a 'median' grade of fuel. The UK market has generally good quality fuel available, some other EU countries have fuel of a dubious quality, as site members can confirm
Website
Dave Mc   
Mon Dec 23 2013, 02:56pm
I have already asked Aviva about any increase in insurance and they have said it won't effect my premium as I am having a remap to give an overall increase in economy with a minor increase in power and as they said it's not as if your remap will change the way you drive what is already a fairly powerful car.
speedfix   
Wed Dec 25 2013, 12:08am
Member No: #1043
"Plus they have to take into account differing fuel quality across the globe. A car is tuned to run on a 'median' grade of fuel. The UK market has generally good quality fuel available,"

And I thought the engine management system set by manufactures compensated for the diesel cetane rating diference ETC, giving the best all round performance and reliability from reg 48 to premium 55.

Why not just pay the extra for the premium grade and get better MPG and a smoother running car.

IMO after years of running and testing all types of cars the Citroen C6 is at best left alone as a cruiser it will never be a boy GT racer.

Some folk when carrying out the chipping remapping remove the DPF, yes the car will have more power but the smoke pollutants and particulates will be released filling the road under exceleration.

It is offence under the UK EU road vehicles construction and use that a vehicle has been modified that it no longer complies the air pollutant emmissions standards.

Cripes, failing to comply £1000 cars £2500 light goods fine.

After the manufactures great cost to develop and reduce the pollutants and improving air quality IMO the cars are best left as the manufactures intended.
C6Dave   
Wed Dec 25 2013, 08:24am

Member No: #1
Whilst the ECU may well be able to compensate, it's not 100% foolproof as some of our Eastern European members can testify.

Personally, I agree with speedfix and have no plans to alter the 'map' on my 3.0 HDi as the car performs very well as it is. Plus given the annual mileage I do in it, the cost of a remap would take an awful long time to recoup in any 'potential' fuel savings to be had.
Website
smihaialex   
Thu Dec 26 2013, 02:54pm
I don't know about Bulgaria, but in Romania, all brand name gas stations are trustworthy - Mol, OMV, Petrom, Litro & Rompetrol. The ones that I wouldn't trust are the no name gas stations and the Russian ones Lukoil & Gazprom

Just FYI, in case you decide to venture East by car to see our beautiful country

Cheers,
Sammy
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club