C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Slight Coolant leak - change out thermostat tank

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Sun Jul 07 2013, 08:06am
Member No: #21
Hi all, I have a slight coolant leak so will order parts and change out the thermostat tank.

The parts listing indicates I need "Engine Water Outlet Tank 1336 Y3". Do I also need separate "Engine Water Housing Seal 1340 81 - 2 off" and a thermostat " Engine Water Thermostat 1338 E7".

I note that there is a service note LE0509. Does anyone know what this says.

Any tips on where to start with stripping out components to gain access?

Regards
G
cruiserphil   
Sun Jul 07 2013, 12:05pm

Member No: #38
Hello G,

Thermostat comes fitted in the tank and both seals are included in the pack. It's not a difficult job, just a bit of time involved in dismantling to get at it and reassembly afterwards. I have photos, I'll try to put together in the meantime. Just be very gentle with the plastic vacuum pipes for the swirl control valves. They can be brittle. One of them split at a joint on mine!

Regards!

Phil C.
gmerry   
Tue Jul 09 2013, 09:18am
To strip out components to give access to the thermostat tank, I was guessing that I would have to remove the air inlet trunking to the two cylinder heads.

A couple of questions to those that have done this:-

1/ The side air inlet (from the intercooler) just unclips by pulling out the large spring clip?

2/ To release the EGR recycle pipes (one from each bank), there is a crimped metal band to join two stub flanges. Is there an after-market clamp (non crimped) or do I need a special tool to remake the crimps? Apparently Citroen call these tube collars (part number 1618 Q4)

3/ There does not appear to be any joints in the air trunking so will I need to remove the air trunking where it is screwed on to the two cylinder heads?. If so, will I need new O rings or seals for the air trunking. I'm assuming I need to remove the Air Inlet Throttle Valve Housing to gain access to the thermostat below?

Regards
G
cruiserphil   
Tue Jul 16 2013, 07:43pm

G,

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes. Pull out the clip and also slacken the circlip on the bottom of the pipe where it enters the intercooler pipe. This gives the movement to pull it clear of the butterfly housing. When clear of the butterfly housing you'd be best to pull it out of the intercooler pipe as well and put to one side to give better access for removal of the butterfly housing. Just make sure the rubber seal doesn't twist when you're pushing it back into the intercooler pipe.

2. If you're careful with a flat blade screwdriver you can unclip the clamps. Then you can refit with a long nose pliers and flat blade screwdriver. No need to replace.

3. The butterfly housing Y outlet is just a push fit into the pipes going to the front and rear cylinder heads. When you have the housing unbolted, just push one side of the Y outlet further in to the respective pipe and it will give you clearance to remove the other side from the pipe. Then you can pull the whole assembly clear. And yes, you must remove the butterfly housing to access the coolant tank, but it's handy enough to remove!

Hope I'm not too late with this information?

Regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Wed Jul 17 2013, 04:56am
Thanks Phil, your advice is most welcome.

I take it that with the inlet butterfly housing out of the way, the rest of the job is fairly straightforward?

Regards
G
cruiserphil   
Wed Jul 17 2013, 07:34am

Yes it is.

The whole job is fairly straightforward. Just plenty of disconnections - fuel pipes, inlet pipe, sensor plugs, EGR pipes and coolant pipes. The click fit coolant connections are lovely though and great in the tight spot they're in. When removing the coolant tank pull upwards first as a coolant spigot pipe inserts in the bottom of the tank from the engine V.

Regards,

Phil C.
e3steve   
Mon Sep 02 2013, 07:54am
Member No: #1163
Sorry G, I missed this thread, but Phil described the surgery to the letter; right on the button.

For anyone else having to suffer the same situation: be careful with the fuel return lines around the cooling system -- they become very brittle from the high underbonnet temperatures and break off very easily; I added a couple of hundred quid to my thermostat tank job, needing to replace them all :-/ !

Hope your operation went well!!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club