Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Disaster - LDS Tank exploded while car jacked up at one side with two wheels hanging

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Clive980   
Sun Sep 30 2012, 01:14pm
Member No: #901
What a disasterous day...wish I'd stayed in bed! Set the car on low and jacked up on one side. Blipped the key remote to unlock the passenger doors and the suspension started to self adjust..next thing I know bang the LDS tank explodes!
Why did this happen? An expensive lesson I think. Anyway is there a technical document available that details the procedure for replacing the LDS tank? Also any advice on where to get a replacement tank? Is a dealer my only option?

yorkxx   
Sun Sep 30 2012, 03:04pm
Member No: #1005
Gees Clive, that sounds awful, sorry to hear about that nasty incident.

I was wondering how to remove a wheel without something like that happening?
Checked a few sites to see if any LDS available for you, but nothing doing, sorry dealership I think.

One would think if you followed Citroens procedure for removing a wheel or for doing whatever job you had in mind, if you followed it correctly then you may have a case for free replacement?

Anyone else heard of Clive's problem?
C6Dave   
Sun Sep 30 2012, 06:39pm

Member No: #1
You have to set the suspension to 'High' before jacking, not low. It does tell you in the user manual so no comeback on Citroen yorkxx

Did you remove the LDS filler cap Clive980?

Early cars don't have a vented cap.

Website
Clive980   
Sun Sep 30 2012, 07:04pm
Cheers Dave, yes, I should have read the manual first.
nickyg   
Sun Sep 30 2012, 10:57pm
Member No: #100
Clive, sorry to hear your woes. Over the course of the past 3 years have seen what is, in my opinion, a glaring oversight on citroens part play out.

When we were all discussing the leaks from the Ill fitting return pipe clip (and changing them for new ones, including me) I offered then that this point of egress could conceivably be a deliberate failure point (but, more probably, a lucky point of failure, saving the lds tanks on the earlier cars)

My return pipe clips leaked profusely after a garage failed to remove the lds cap and lifted on a two post lift. This event weakened my lds tank centre seam, which has now, 2 years later, necessitated replacement.

In my opinion, a warning in the manual is not enough. It may cover citroens backside, yes, but only just.

There should be something in the engine bay, or even in at the jacking points themselves.

We can be as loyalist or obtuse as we like about that, but the fact the tanks and caps have been redesigned to counter this phenomena suggests an underlying problem they were aware of, yet still no recall. Not even something like a courtesy letter, supplying additional info.

I believe all non vented caps should have been replaced free of charge, and possibly early model tanks also. This would have possibly forestall most lds leak problems, be it from the tank or the very common pressure buildup at the clips.

Regarding the jacking of the car, and the replacement of the tank. The fact that Citroen advise jacking on high, yet the very process of replacement of the tank necessitates the osf front wheel off when on low position, depressurised, illustrates the folly and hamfistedness of it all!

Don't get me wrong. Most of their high pressure pipe work is well done. The issues we are discussing here, however, are clearly a problem but the concerns voiced will be to few in number to force them into an admission they are culpable, sadly.

nickyg   
Sun Sep 30 2012, 11:17pm
Clive, just as an answer to your query. You will get yourself the newer type tank and cap in the same box from your dealer (don't order the cap separately like me!).

£40 ish. Not too bad really. Use your old cap to make a pressurising tool if you like, as gmerry and others have done.

You can slip the bumper forward and slide out the drivers headlamp for easier access if you wish. Don't bother with the screws on the underside of the car when dealing with the bumper removal, as per the download instructions. Just the bonnet stops, 4 plastic pegs above the chevrons and the two bolts in up under the wheel arches and tug forward to allow you to undo the headlamp bolts and slide out. You will have great access from above and the front then.

You could also screw on new 70bar sphere (inside the osf wheel arch) when doing this, as it most likely will
be past its best.

Good luck!
gmerry   
Mon Oct 01 2012, 07:22am
Member No: #21
Hi Clive, sorry about your incident.

Why don't you fit the very latest model of LDS tank instead of a straight replacement. The lastest model has a pressure relief valve which can dump a sudden buildup of pressure instead of allowing the tank to fail.

Also, as far as I know, ALL the tank caps have a micro breather (this probably only allows a few bubbles per minute of flowrate).

The suggested change of the front Stiffness Sphere while you are working in this area is a good one.

Regards
G
Clive980   
Mon Oct 01 2012, 12:39pm
Thanks for all the advice it's really appreciated. I'll replace it with the most recent type. As you say Nickyg it's really annoying that Citroen allowed this type of defect'/issue through to a prduction vehicle when it could so easily be resolved with some kind blow off valve/cap etc. Hopefully it's a lesson I only need once!
Clive980   
Mon Oct 01 2012, 09:25pm
Managed to get the old one off tonight. Ordered a replacment (£40) of the latest design from Citroen but it's on back order and not due till the end of next week. Has anyone tried getting a split one welded back together?Just a thought to get me back on the road.
03/10/2012...SB Wakefield called and my tank has arrived already. Looks like I can get back on the road. Just hope there is no damage to the BHI!
xandrej   
Mon Oct 01 2012, 09:44pm
Member No: #1025
Hello

Which LDS cap now is real one? This is catalogue numbers:

00004009R1 CAP 19,78 EUR

00004009V9 CAP 13,76 EUR

nickyg   
Tue Oct 02 2012, 01:22am
Clive, I've tried a lot of kludges over the years, but in this case I would definitely recommend you stick it out and just put your new one in!

I'm certain it could be done, but I would only do it if the tank cost £500 or couldn't be got, not when it's winging its way to me and paid for!

I'm sure you'll feel the same way when you only have to perform the job once in a few days!

All the best!
Gobxoy   
Tue Oct 02 2012, 08:01am
Member No: #786
Clive I agree with nickyg I have seen a repair system that would work but it costs in excess of £500. So not cost effective as you are aware the LDS tank can become presurised so any repair would need to be presure tested. Not worth the effort or risk on this one as the cost is not OTT.

On the caps logically you would expect the largest number to be the latest which would mean 00004009V9 CAP 13,76 EUR, but I suspect that the dearer one (more workings = more cost) in this case is probably correct the "R1" could be "revision one"

I go and check mine to see if it has a part number, but won't be untill later to-day.
gmerry   
Tue Oct 02 2012, 08:16am
Member No: #21
Guys, I wouldn't get too worried about which cap.

I purchased the latest cap (to make the bleeding connection) and it looked very familiar. Yes it's the same as the C4 hydrualic steering reservoir cap!

The tiny baffled hole is not designed to release any appreciable volumes!!!

What I do if I'm doing any work on the suspension (or raising the car off its wheels), is to screw on the modified cap complete with flexible tube and route this away to an empty plastic bottle. Then if a sphere should blow and dump lots of fizzy oil back into the tank:-
1/ I won't get a burst tank
2/ I won't get a sticky mess of oil all over engine bay.

Regards
G

PS, my sphere problems started after the last time the Citroen garage serviced the car. I suspect they did not remove the cap as per warning instruction. If you give them the car with the modified cap complete with tubing then there is less chance of a problem.
Gobxoy   
Tue Oct 02 2012, 09:30am
Here's a pic of mine I think Gmerry is bang on go for cheapest or use old cap??

Gobxoy   
Tue Oct 02 2012, 09:51am
Oh and the brake fluid cap also fits but is un-vent, so another source for making a bleed cap.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club