C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Diesel tank and feed pump leakage

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ingolf   
Wed Apr 25 2012, 05:38pm
Member No: #474
Just picked up my 2,7HDi this afternoon, after more than 3 weeks at the garage. Left it there due to a leakage, which turend out to be from the feed pump apparently. A new one had to be ordered from France, and due to the easter season, this took some time.

Upon arrival, it was still leaking, the pump had probably been fastened too tight, so the mount on the tank had been bent. The garage then ordered a brand new tank, which lead to another week of waiting.

Now it`s all been sorted out, but what caused the leakage in the first place, is still a big question. By my opinion, the most plausable reason might have been after I had the Eberspächer prewarmer installed, a couple of months ago, but the garage didn`t quite agree on that. (although they coordinated the job, the installation was done somewhere else). The mechanic believes this to have been a production failure. Even though the car has only been driven 20.000 km in almost 5 years. Anyway, Citroën had decided to take all the costs concerning the new diesel tank, which I find reasonable.

I also got the left front balljoint retightened, in an attempt to solve what I would describe as an undefined play/clicking sound in the front assembly. So far, it seems to be solved, by luck.

Any thoughts about the diesel leakage? Anyone else with similar experiences?

Regards, Ingolf, Oslo
gmerry   
Wed Apr 25 2012, 06:19pm
Member No: #21
Ingolf, the auxilliary heating setup requires a different in tank pump/gauge sender unit (different part numbers to cars not fitted) which itself is a replacement or modified part = RP1525SJ. Then there is a different seal. So your hunch that the problem started when the auxilliary heating system was fitted does sound plausible.

On a different subject, you state that the front ball joint was tightened. Not sure that they are adjustable in any way so curious about this one.

Regards
G

pclark   
Thu Apr 26 2012, 08:10am
Member No: #3
When the Eberspacher heater was fitted to my (now deceased) C6, the kit included a fuel pick up tube for the heater that was to be fitted in the tank sender unit top by the installer drilling a hole. If this was not carried out and sealed correctly I would have thought this could be the source of a leak.
Ingolf   
Fri Apr 27 2012, 11:44am
Member No: #474
Gmerry, it might be that my knowledge of English might not be detailed enough to describe it precisely. Neither am i anything close to be a mechanic. Fact is, the job took about 3 hours to do, which probably have included a bit of dismantling to get access.
What's important, is that my previous issue, feeling some slack in the front suspension, now seems to be history.

Concerning the leakage, the garage claims that the feed pump hasn't been off due to the installation, but I can't tell for sure. Tough I find it unlikely this leakage to show up after almost 5 years, out of nothing. The garage thinks it can be a production failure in the first place, and claimed responsible for the costs of the replacement.

In general, I'm very satisfied with the treatment at this garage. They always stride to find a good solution without putting all costs on me. As they've never been involved with this car, as I imported it myself, that isn't all that obvious. It might as well be the only 6 they'll ever get involved with as well, but still I feel confident to let them handle it.

Ingolf, Oslo

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club