C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 with a weird combination of error messages

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
travlician   
Thu Aug 16 2012, 03:25pm
Member No: #350
If the (foot) brake switch is a problem, you get all the ABS/ESP and handbrakes errors and can not release the handbrake unless in P or pressing fairly deep on the accelerator pedal. It makes sense since the idea is to prevent the driver (or passengers!) from accidently removing the parking brake.
C6Dave   
Thu Aug 16 2012, 04:45pm

Member No: #1
Yes, it cured mine, but it could be a faulty ABS sensor.
Website
grandadmark   
Fri Aug 24 2012, 01:53pm
Member No: #508
An update to my problems with handbrake and parking bralke error messages. Thanks tom C6Dave the replacement footbrake switch has cleared the yellow light on the dash and my garage has cleared the error messages via their Lexia. HOWEVER the electronic parking brake will not work. I get no messages as the driver but my garage gets an error message ECU fault on the Lexia. we are stumped, my garage has tried everything including disconnecting the battery all to no avail. Has anyone had this problem or got any ideas about it. It will need to be fixed for my next MOT due next year.The car is a 2.7 Lignage Reg SB07 VLH
gmerry   
Fri Aug 24 2012, 02:59pm
Member No: #21
Has the garage tried clearing the ECU fault via Lexia?

Is there a separate handbrake ECU? or is it controlled via the ABS ECU?

Probably best to work through a global diagnosis on Lexia

Regards
G

apologies if all this has been tried.
grandadmark   
Fri Aug 24 2012, 03:54pm
Not sure about separate ECUs but my garage has tried to clear the fault with his lexia and it just comes back. Also I got it wrong about the yellow light this still comes on and the car beeps to tell me the brake is faulty. my garage is now talking to the Citroen main dealer in Derby.
travlician   
Sat Aug 25 2012, 01:39am
Member No: #350
Have the ESP/ABS messages gone? If not, see if you can change the gear lever with contact/engine on without pressing the brake pedal (the car will move is succeeding so watch out where you do this!), if so, the brake switch and/or it's cabling to the ECU is still defective (in case of brake switch failure the software always releases the gear lever as not to make the car inoperable).
Gobxoy   
Sat Aug 25 2012, 08:59am
Member No: #786
Hi guys

Just a few thoughts.

• Blown fuse?
  • Is one of the cables broken, as I don't think lexia would help or pick up that fault as mechanical.
  • Also check that in the arm rest, that the yellow brake release strap is not fouling, it's mentioned in the hand book so worth checking.

grandadmark   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 05:09pm
Further update on the problem with handbrake faulty.
no further ESP/ABS messages at all.
All fuses OK even the one in the boot.
The yellow warning light is now NOT on when I start up but appears after about 10mins driving.
Yellow brake release strap seems OK.
Waiting now to get back to my garage as it looks like it is a connection fault with the replacement switch under the footbrake.
Many thanks to you all for your suggestions and advice.
C6Dave   
Mon Aug 27 2012, 06:27pm

Was only the switch changed or the accompanying wiring loom?

On the C4 it came as a 'kit', switch + wiring loom extension which would indicate a problem with wiring in that area.
Website
grandadmark   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 12:13pm
The whole lot was changed including the new loom which was longer than the original. Today the error message has gone away as from 10 am and has not reappeared as yet. Spooky.
ciao_chao   
Sat Sep 01 2012, 12:37am
Member No: #518
Forgive me for resurrecting something from a few months ago. Those of you who are wondering about application at speed, Alexei Sayle has mentioned in one of his columns that while filming for something or other that the camera man kept on getting something caught in the handbrake switch, and applying it at speed. Seems that it does function at speed.

Next, more critically, I am getting this ESP/ABS/Handbrake combo regularly now. Originally it would only come on in the wet, later on it would happen on startup, but it would always reset when I switched off and started again. Recently though I'm getting the ESP/ABS immediately on startup, and I can't get it to clear by switch off/on. Furthermore I'm getting the Handbrake alert a few minutes later, unless it's applied before ignition, however the handbrake works perfectly fine.

Need to check fuses, release strap, etc, (job for weekend). Any other ideas/suggestions welcome.
Trainman   
Sat Sep 01 2012, 04:48am

Member No: #86
I'll have the lexia with me at weekend, if you think it might be of use?
ciao_chao   
Mon Sep 03 2012, 11:37pm
Member No: #518
Yes! Lexia may well be useful!
gmerry   
Tue Sep 04 2012, 07:13am
Member No: #21
Hi, all my ABS / Handbrake warnings have gone away in this dry spell.

Is it the ABS cable connector (somewhere up above the fuel tank) or is it the magnetic air gap that causes the problem?

If it is the latter, then I guess off with the wheels and brake disks and a probe and clean might sort the problem.

BTW, Lexia said faulty Rear RH ABS sensor was the problem.

Maybe a bit of a red herring, but Pagid claim that only non-conducting special grease Ceratec - Click Here - (which they sell of course) should be used as part of brake pad fitting, ie smear on back of pads and at pad/caliper brake interface (stainless shims). Would my sparing use of Coppaslip have caused this problem?

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Tue Sep 04 2012, 07:51am

Not sure G but Ceratec does say that it's 'non-conductive' wheras 'Copaslip' says that it provides an 'insulating layer'

Copaslip® (often misspelled as copperslip or coppaslip) - the original anti-seize compound. It is a very high temperature (up to 1100°C) anti-seize assembly compound, bentone based non-melt grease with copper, polybutene, and anti-corrosion additives.
Website
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club