Hibernation trough the winter

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
M2dis   
Tue Nov 14 2023, 10:46pm
Member No: #3475
Hi all,

It will be the first winter for my C6 to be tucked in for the 4-5 months of Estonian winter, since I got another car and winters can get quite harsh here, I don't want to leave it outside to collect snow. It will be in a dry, but not heated storage with other cars. How do I prepare the car? Disconnecting the battery is obvious, but what would be the best for hydraulics etc?

Last and only thread I managed to find was from 2018 - Click Here - surely there has to be more people now who are storing their cars for longer periods of time. Share your tips!
jamescarruthers   
Wed Nov 15 2023, 03:39pm
Member No: #1548
I’d trying to get it on axle stands, rather than the weight being on the tyres. If you can’t do that, inflate the tyres to higher rating— 25% seems a safe guess.

I’d also try to make sure that there is air flow and that the windows are open a bit, and the boot. Also, remember that the window design means that if you try to open a door and it hasn’t automatically dropped the window for you, you could smash the glass. I’d open every window by an inch before removing the battery.

If possible, a little fan inside to keep air moving, or even better a dehumidifier.

As for the fuel tank, some people say you should fill the tank to avoid condensation getting in through the breather pipes but that’s probably more of a worry for metal tanks, which we don’t have.

A C6 battery has a hard life so I’d actually not disconnect it and use a smart charger instead which can be left on indefinitely.

You could maybe get a bit of fluid on the struts by making the suspension go it’s full range of travel a few times before you put it in to hibernation. I can’t see much reason to do much else with the hydraulics. If you finish with it on high and then on axle stands, that should be good. Can anyone else see a benefit to putting it on low?

There are probably other tips but these few come to mind.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club