Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Can anyone identify/advise about this pipe please?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
robingc33   
Fri Nov 06 2015, 01:51pm
Member No: #2303
Hi,
There's an unusual looking pipe in the engine compartment on the off-side.
It's about 200mm long and runs horizontally, front to back just beside/below the LDS reservoir.

It comprises small diameter dark-coloured (LDS?) piping at the extreme ends, two long-ish cylindrical, aluminium adapter tubes about 10mm dia with 100mm of braided/rubber tube in between them.

In my 2006 2.7 C6 I get the feeling the rubber/braided section may be weeping a bit through the fabric (or maybe picking up an oily mist from somewhere?) cause sometimes it feels a bit oily/damp, particularly underneath. I'm not aware of any other problem that might be related, though on my first check of the LDS reservoir since buying the car a couple of months back I had to add about 1L to get it back to the calibration mark inside the filler neck (suspension on low).

Any thoughts/advice please?

Thanks,
Robin

(PS - tried to insert a pic but failed miserably - probably missed the point on how to do it!)
cruiserphil   
Fri Nov 06 2015, 06:14pm

Member No: #38
Hello Robin,

Yes this pipe leaks. I replaced one on our ex 06 car and I have one for the 07 car which is leaking badly. I will check the part number for you. It's a little awkward to change as you have to bend the pipe out of it's supplied/fitted shape to get it in and then get it back to shape to get the support clips to align.

You've reminded me to replace the pipe on the 07 car!

Best regards,

Phil C.
robingc33   
Fri Nov 06 2015, 07:45pm
Thanks for the prompt info Phil and the part number would be great if/when convenient.
Presumably this is an LDS pipe?
Assuming so and apart from depressurising beforehand, is there much more preparation before changing it?
Best regards,
Robin
Jodyone   
Sat Nov 07 2015, 12:59pm
Member No: #1240
Me too! I've been meaning to replace this for ages, but it leaks such a minute amount of fluid -just enough to keep the chassis elements below it corrosion free!- that it I've only topped it up about 100ml in a year or so. This reminded me though. I couldn't find the parts diagram in Dave's tech documents here, I'd love a part number too Phil, thanks!
gmerry   
Sat Nov 07 2015, 08:26pm
Member No: #21
This pipe leaked a lot when the car was only about 14 months old.

Regards
G
cruiserphil   
Mon Nov 09 2015, 08:17pm

Lads,

Apologies for delay. The part no. for the pipe is 5270 VN.

To replace, it's engine underguard, right hand front wheel and wheel arch liner off. If I remember correctly you need to take off the air intake pipe between the intercooler and the butterfly housing to give room to manoeuvre.

De-pressurise the hydraulic system as already suggested and there is minimal leakage removing the pipe.

Best regards,

Phil C.

robingc33   
Wed Nov 11 2015, 09:56am
Thanks very much for all the info Phil; that's a great help.
Cheers
Robin
cruiserphil   
Wed Nov 11 2015, 08:35pm

One of the benefits of the forum Robin, sharing info! You're welcome,

Best regards,

Phil C.
robingc33   
Thu Nov 12 2015, 08:36pm
Thanks Phil.

Further to this I got a price for this pipe from my local Citroen dealer yesterday - £98+VAT!!! - so pending investigation of other potentially cheaper sources I'm not in such a hurry to change it! - even cling-film now comes to mind

But I can't help wondering why this section of pipe includes this rubber section? Is it purely for flexibility or does the rubber bit have some more sophisticated function?

In the "old" days of hydraulic Citroens (ala CX/BX rear suspension) they'd have just made a few loops of pipe - which could gently flex if needed.
And a normal (if longer) bit of pipe would be much cheaper!

Any thoughts/knowledge on this please?

Thanks,
Robin
gmerry   
Fri Nov 13 2015, 09:58am
Member No: #21
Hi all, I've wondered about the function of these micro pipes and the only explanation I can think of is that they have a deliberate flow limiting /damping function. So I would bite the bullet and replace them with OEM spec (just one of those things)...

Regards
G
robingc33   
Sun Nov 15 2015, 04:29pm
I had a look at the suspension piping on my 2014 reg hydraulic C5 today and see there's a similarly routed small bore pipe running front-to-back beside/below the reservoir, but interestingly this one doesn't have any sign of a rubber/woven section!
Tjensen   
Mon Nov 16 2015, 10:56am
Member No: #954
Rubber sections prevent breakage from vibration ? (alternative is to make a coil, like on the DS)
M2dis   
Tue Oct 24 2023, 02:01pm
Member No: #3475
The time has come I feared the most, my first leak from the hydraulic pipes! It is not leaking much at the moment and I already found a used pipe that hopefully will be leak-free.

Since they are unavailable from Citroen and it is not a straight pipe, but has a rubber part in the middle, has anyone had them refurbished?
Koplint   
Tue Nov 14 2023, 02:06pm
Member No: #5284
This sounds like a detailed description of a specific part in the engine compartment of your 2006 2.7 C6. From your description, it seems like the pipe you're referring to might be related to the LDS (Liquide Dirige System) or the suspension system.

The oily/damp feeling around the rubber/braided section could indeed indicate a minor leakage or seepage, potentially from the LDS system or another source nearby. Given that you had to add 1L of fluid to the LDS reservoir, this could be connected to the issue you're experiencing.

I'd strongly recommend having a professional mechanic or someone familiar with Audi's LDS system take a look at this. They can inspect the specific pipe you mentioned, check for any leaks, and assess if it's related to the LDS system or another component. It's crucial to address any potential leaks in the LDS system promptly to prevent further issues with the suspension or other connected systems.

Additionally, a routine check on the overall condition of your car's systems might be beneficial to ensure everything is functioning optimally.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club