Possible 2.7 HDi failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ProudC6   
Sat Apr 09 2022, 08:13pm
Member No: #4757
Hello,

Today, my C6 started to regenerate the DPF, but the problem starts when, after 5 minutes of regen (remember, a normal regen should last between 3-10 min aprox), I decide to park it up (without switching off the engine), thinking it should stop regenerating in a few moments. But, for my surprise, not only doesn't stop regenerating, but cooler fan kicks in, and I suddenly see smoke coming out of the engine (almost non-visible smoke, I saw it thanks to the headlights being switched on), so, I decide to quickly move the car so the engine can cool down. The problem starts when, after this happening, every time I press the accelerator, a "Risk of DPF blocking" message pops up on the dash. The problem continues when, after 40 minutes of regen, it simply doesn't stop, I stop the car, I see the same smoke coming out of the engine, and I just switched off the engine, so it stops regenerating and building heat.

Should I worry about the smoke? Is my engine giving its last goodbye? What can cause this?

Sincerely, a worried C6 owner.

PS: Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker (I'm from Greece, it hasn't rained, and neither its a cold climate, so the smoke isn't just water vapour from condensation)
cruiserphil   
Tue Apr 12 2022, 10:11am

Member No: #38
Hello ProudC6,

Remember when regen is occurring the engine is loaded by heated rear screens, mirrors etc. so that it can generate high temperatures in the exhaust. The vapour may be coming from the hot exhaust. If you're getting risk of depollution you should take the car for a drive at minimum 80kph for at least 30 mins to allow the exhaust heat naturally.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club