C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Re-useable air filter for C6

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Chris Burmajster   
Sun Feb 27 2011, 11:52am
Member No: #81
Now that the price of fuel is at an all time high and any version of the C6 is not wildly economical, does anybody know of a re-useable air filter for the C6? When I had my C5, I replaced the throwaway paper filter with a re-useable K&N filter which not only saved money in the long term, but gave an immediate 2mpg more. I've looked at the K&N website and they don't seem to make one for the C6.
Mike H   
Tue Mar 08 2011, 02:48am
Member No: #53
Chris the airbox looks the same in a 2.7 HDI Peugeot 407 maybe search that too ?

Not sure myself that they can filter as well as paper though ?

Mike
Chris Burmajster   
Wed Mar 09 2011, 11:32am
Hi Mike,

Thanks for tip. Just tried both on the K&N website - no joy on either!

Chris
gmerry   
Wed Mar 09 2011, 04:41pm
Member No: #21
Chris, not sure if I understand the basic premise here:

For a turbo-charged diesel, why would a "reusable" air filter element improve mpg. If the standard air filter is blocked, surely the solution is just to replace the element.

If the aim is to reduce the cost of air filter changes, what's the payback. Ie, how many changes or years before one breaks even on presumably the higher initial cost of a reusable element.

Regards
G
Chris Burmajster   
Wed Mar 09 2011, 05:22pm
Hi G,

My understanding is that filters like the K&N, which contain cotton sprayed with light oil, let more air through than paper filters, thus allowing the engine to breath more easily. I had one in my C5 (V6 petrol) and got an extra 2 miles to every gallon. K&N also claim that it increases throttle response.

I admit that I haven't actually done the figures regarding the long term cost, but I like the idea of not throwing a paper filter away every 20,000 miles. I assume (!) that it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Chris
C6Dave   
Wed Mar 09 2011, 07:12pm

Member No: #1
Diesel engines are a different beast altogether to a petrol one and you may find that a K&N actually reduces mpg
Website
gmerry   
Wed Mar 09 2011, 07:23pm
Member No: #21
Pretty sure the V6 Turbo diesel doesn't need "more air".

Regards
G
Chris Burmajster   
Thu Mar 10 2011, 06:16pm
C6Dave wrote ...

Diesel engines are a different beast altogether to a petrol one and you may find that a K&N actually reduces mpg

Ah, interesting! Can you please explain why, as I'm curious to know. I would have thought that allowing any engine to breathe more easily would be beneficial.

Chris
Tjensen   
Tue Mar 05 2013, 10:43am
Member No: #954
K & N makes air filters for the petrol V6 version. I have very good experience with the low resistance reusable K & N filters for the XM and the CX Turbo, and would like to try a high quality filter for the C6 too. But so far: found nothing
pgrant5   
Fri Mar 12 2021, 09:35am
Member No: #3774
Hi,

Just to let you know ITG air filters do list a performance air filter for the Citroen C6.
Tjensen   
Fri Mar 12 2021, 12:30pm
Member No: #954
Thanks ! I checked and it looks like it is just for the petrol version and for the 2.2 Hdi diesel.
jamescarruthers   
Fri Mar 12 2021, 04:10pm
Member No: #1548
I’ve always been told that these sort of things do a worse job of filtering the air and can cause erosion of valves in the very long term. They might let a bit more air in and make a bit more noise but is it really necessary?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club