C6 engine mounts, can they be worn out

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
321dave   
Tue Nov 29 2016, 01:15pm
Member No: #614
- Click Here -

Sorry, tried to post to a previous old forum post on this subject but it wasn't permitted, just wondering has anybody ever replaced there engine mounts? How easy is it? and what are the chances they are not doing a good job of damping the engine vibrations at this stage. 131000mls and counting!
Norman   
Thu Dec 01 2016, 10:50am
Member No: #364
Hi 321dave, my engine mounts were replaced as a result of MOT fail at 75972 miles in march 2014 offside rear lower mounting and offside front mounting deteriorated resulting in excessive movement so if yours is at 131 miles either I have been unlucky or yours is doing well.

Norman
321dave   
Thu Dec 01 2016, 02:30pm
Norman wrote ...

Hi 321dave, my engine mounts were replaced as a result of MOT fail at 75972 miles in march 2014 offside rear lower mounting and offside front mounting deteriorated resulting in excessive movement so if yours is at 131 miles either I have been unlucky or yours is doing well.

Norman

Thanks for that Norman, I was just wondering recently as the car would wobble on and off the brakes at times, just very slightly (i can notice it myself, but others dont or i am probably cancelling the effect at times with my driving) and other times it is perfect and solid. Then i got the idea that maybe the vacuum going to the active mount (at the rear of the gearbox) was leaking slightly and as a result was sort of working part-time, if that sounds plausible?
Anyway, I'm sure they are the original mounts (I have removed the mount at the coolant tank end) to service the timing belt and pulleys.
My current thinking on this is if the engine is moving slightly it would or could possibly upset the balance of the brakes and the suspension.

Maybe (i might be over thinking this now) but maybe its also creating the slight slapping/hopping sound in the front suspension that people hear or a few people. In my case i hear something but everything is new upfront, unless there is wear after a year or so.
PIT   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 08:33am
Member No: #2671
I have vibrations in the steering wheel and also I can feel them on my back. Do you know which mount is responsive for that kind of vibrations? The engine is 2.7.
Website
321dave   
Sat Dec 03 2016, 10:18pm
Seems I have a worn rear engine/gearbox mount, but I was a bit confused initially because of it's shape. Could it be something else like a driveshaft support bushing? Dave.
321dave   
Sat Dec 03 2016, 10:20pm
321dave wrote ...

Seems I have a worn rear engine/gearbox mount, but I was a bit confused initially because of it's shape. Could it be something else like a driveshaft support bushing? Dave.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club