C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Should it stay or should it go (now!)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Andimac101   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 06:51am
Member No: #2380
I've had my beautiful c6 now for just 13 weeks, it's an 09 with 95k on the clock. It appeared to be in fantastic condition....before the problems started rolling in. I've clocked up almost as many visits to the garage with it as I've had weeks of ownership. The latest will have to be on the back of a flat bed after smoke and deeply worrying noises appeared from the pulleys etc. Around the belt assembly.

I'm now asking the question if it's time to get rid, or if ve had the worst and there should be nothing else?

Is there anything else at this age and mileage I should expect ?

Under my ownership I've spent £2000, the previous owner spent £3500 in the past year. It's had

2 new EGR valves
New brake lines
2 suspension height sensors
1 lower wishbone arm
2 new front spheres
Gearbox oil changed
Hydrolic fuel reservoir
Hydrolic pipes leading from reservoir

As well as tyres pads discs boot struts keyfobs bulbs etc.

The latest could well be an alternator pulley ( it may be something else)

Andi

gmerry   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 08:07am
Member No: #21
Based on your experience and extrapolating forwards, I would say it has to go...

I would suggest that for anybody in a position to DIY, (skill, space, machinery, tools, time), ownership becomes realistic as parts in general are no different to any other car. The alternative is to keep very close to a skilled and type experienced repairer that can fix the issues first time around.

Best regards
G

PS, smoke from around the belt drive suggests something other than the alternator pulley. Burning glycol (from the coolant) sometimes gives off smoke - and a bad smell
e3steve   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 08:46am
Member No: #1163
Andi, C6 ownership is not for the faint-hearted. Nor should any C6, particularly a 2.7, be considered as reliable, daily transport, irrespective of mileage or age; you either strike lucky or you don't, simple as that!

A 3.0i would be a better bet, in some ways, but you'd pay the price in mpg. Petrols are less complicated than today's over-complicated, emissions-restrained diesels, and the fuel prices are (currently) less important.

A 2.2HDi is a great car with a simpler engine. Economical & less complicated, if relatively uninspiring.

Of course, engine type notwithstanding, you still have most of the other C6 headaches to contend with, like CANbus issues, model-common peripheral equipment failures, corrosion to pipework (for some), etc., and that's all very well as long as your car isn't damaged in an accident or, God forbid, it needs glass or airbag replacement!

That said, owning a modern motorcar of any type can be frustrating, with all the sensors and c r a p p y, shared switchgear.

Owning a C6 is like getting a dog: you need to be prepared to sign up for the long haul (not just for Christmas). You need to share the passion for the marque and you need the desire to stand out from the crowd and to be different -- "Different is everything"...
Valleybuoy   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 09:58am
Member No: #1069
My view is if the engine is in reasonable shape - most other things can be managed/ sorted... Engine's rarely "get better".

I had the following work done over the past couple of years - and having completed it, it's literally running like a new car. (And been so for the last year/ 10K miles). I think there is a whole bunch of remedial work needed around 70-80K miles (particularly on suspension etc) that if it's not done - the car will just limp on.

There is light of the end of the tunnel potentially!

This is what I had done (aside from a "major" service every year).

Apr-13 Windscreen Trim/ Column black trims (replaced the side trims) (paid)
Apr-13 Battery (new Citroen battery replaced) (paid)
May-13 Lower arm suspension bushes (warranty)
Sep-13 Front Brake Pads (paid)
Sep-13 DS wheel hub bush (OSF Pivot support)- warranty
Nov-13 Spoiler Mechanics & Motors - warranty
Nov-13 Power Steering fluid leak - warranty
Dec-13 Replace DS keylock cover (previous just fell-off) - £25 ebay replacement
Jan-14 Replacement front height connectors & CU - warranty
Jan-14 Replace n/s/r roll bar links - warranty
Apr-14 Alternator - warranty
Jun-14 Air Con service (was not blowing cold - now fixed) (paid)
Feb-15 Brake pads F&R
Cisco   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 10:51am
Member No: #1429
Andi,

Sorry to hear your car is giving problems.

The answer to your question will probably depend on the result of the investigation with your engine issue. If it is just a seized/seizing pulley on the accessory drive belt then get it fixed and continue with your journey.

If it is more serious e.g. crank seal/bearing going then I guess it's time to say goodbye if you have to pay labour costs for a major engine repair.

Fingers crossed for you.

ATB Frank

321dave   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 11:47am
Member No: #614
Valleybuoy wrote ...

My view is if the engine is in reasonable shape - most other things can be managed/ sorted... Engine's rarely "get better".

I had the following work done over the past couple of years - and having completed it, it's literally running like a new car. (And been so for the last year/ 10K miles). I think there is a whole bunch of remedial work needed around 70-80K miles (particularly on suspension etc) that if it's not done - the car will just limp on.

There is light of the end of the tunnel potentially!

This is what I had done (aside from a "major" service every year).

Apr-13 Windscreen Trim/ Column black trims (replaced the side trims) (paid)
Apr-13 Battery (new Citroen battery replaced) (paid)
May-13 Lower arm suspension bushes (warranty)
Sep-13 Front Brake Pads (paid)
Sep-13 DS wheel hub bush (OSF Pivot support)- warranty
Nov-13 Spoiler Mechanics & Motors - warranty
Nov-13 Power Steering fluid leak - warranty
Dec-13 Replace DS keylock cover (previous just fell-off) - £25 ebay replacement
Jan-14 Replacement front height connectors & CU - warranty
Jan-14 Replace n/s/r roll bar links - warranty
Apr-14 Alternator - warranty
Jun-14 Air Con service (was not blowing cold - now fixed) (paid)
Feb-15 Brake pads F&R

Hi Valleybuoy, i bet most peoples list will look something similiar, any reason you replaced the windscreen side trims though?

userpco   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 12:09pm
Member No: #622
Hi Andi
Sorry to hear that you have been so unlucky. I don't think that I could live with the uncertainty of "what next" and it would have to go
I hope that it's not too expensive to get it fixed
Best wishes
Peter
Valleybuoy   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 01:44pm
Member No: #1069
Yes Dave: "any reason you replaced the windscreen side trims though?" - yes, they are the black strips down each side, left and right of the windscreen. They were badly "Pocked" with indentations... and have no idea how they got there. Was wierd. Also the top of the windscreen has a black "foam" beading which was not in great shape. So sorted that too... odd. I fear a botched windscreen change at some point...
Trainman   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 03:35pm

Member No: #86
e3steve wrote ...

Owning a C6 is like getting a dog: you need to be prepared to sign up for the long haul (not just for Christmas). You need to share the passion for the marque and you need the desire to stand out from the crowd and to be different -- "Different is everything"...

and then there's the vet's bills......

Wait and see hat the outcome of the investigation is, hopefully it's something and nothing.....
Andimac101   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 06:56am
Member No: #2380
I appreciate all of your comments.

What is becoming obvious to me is that the C6 is an 'enthusiasts' car that simply requires quite a bit of fettling and constant parts replacing. I think it's great that the parts are not expensive and therefore perfect if you have time, tools, knowledge and don't need to rely on it as a perfect daily driver.

I guess like all of you, I am fond of having something different, cool(?), and slightly non mainstream that is rewarding to own when running well. Perhaps differently or a mis match for the C6, I need to use it 365 days a year, put in 15,000 miles pa without breaking down, be at my place of work on the dot every working day and I don't have the technical know how, tools or time to do most of the work myself. I also realise if I lived next to BL Autos in Welwyn that would be a great help too as most (even Citroen Indys) don't have the knowledge and experience of repairing the C6.

I will await the outcome of this latest episode before lamenting and giving in to the sin of ordering an Audi A6 (although tempting at only £295 per month at the moment!!) and forever missing ocean liner suspension and gasps from crowds of 'what on earth is that?!'
e3steve   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 09:12am
Member No: #1163
Andimac101 wrote ...
I guess like all of you, I am fond of having something different, cool(?)...
No question mark necessary. Remember Top Gear's first drive? The C6 went onto The Cool Wall at borderline 'Sub Zero'!

Andimac101 wrote ...
I will await the outcome of this latest episode before lamenting and giving in to the sin of ordering an Audi A6 (although tempting at only £295 per month at the moment!!) and forever missing ocean liner suspension and gasps from crowds of 'what on earth is that?!'
Suggest keep it as a future piece of history and as a weekend car; then do yourself a huge favour and find a nice, late C5 (X7) HDi in 1.6, 2.0 or 2.2 form for daily use. The 1.6HDi manual is no slouch and will return 50+mpg on longer trips. The 2.2HDi isn't quite as economical, but as an auto is relaxing and very akin to the C6 2.2 to drive.

C5s can be picked up for very sensible money and they don't quite suffer from the C6 niggles that make it a near-impossible daily-driver, yet they still exude 'different'. The niggles became mostly ironed out by the time the X7 was in full flow.

Don't buy a 2.7HDi! Not unless you want to have a pair of maintenance-hungry Citroëns! EGRs, cooling system components, poor emissions... But if you really want a road-burning mile-eater, go for a 3.0HDi auto!
Dan595   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 10:13am
Member No: #299
I've used my C6 as a daily driver for over seven years, and put 160,000 miles on it. It's left me stranded once (rear height corrector) and with hindsight I should have spotted that problem much earlier and had it replaced before it failed completely.

This is tempting fate, but I've had to do little out of the ordinary for a car of this age and mileage. I service it by the book (the book is now full!) and make sure that the brake fluid and coolant are changed as required. I've done few jobs myself but otherwise the car is looked after at very reasonable cost by Islington Citroen in Trowbridge.

The only caveat regarding using it as an everyday car is parts availability. C6 specific parts often have to come in from France and are sometimes on 'back-order'. I had quite a wait when the DMF was replaced on my car; and another glitch recently when a brake line broke when the dealer was replacing rear pads. They redeemed that one by loaning me a new Peugeot - 32 miles on the clock, 750 by the time I returned it...
gmerry   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 11:55am
Member No: #21
Hi Dan, nice to hear a tale of happy ownership, especially a relatively handsoff one using an official Citroen dealer. By DMF, I'm guessing that Dual Mass Flywheel which would make yours a 2.2? Maybe the 2.2 Manual is the best long term keeper?

In terms of my luck, I've only had it on the flatbed once: when it blew the thermostat tank on the MOT test.

Regards
G
Kaloteck   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 04:55pm
Member No: #1271
e3steve wrote ...
C6 ownership is not for the faint-hearted.

Oh, come on, it's really not that bad
Trainman   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 05:11pm

Member No: #86
I used mine as a daily driver for 2 years, putting 40,000 miles on it, Living ner Preston and travelling to Warrington everyday, It never let me down, maintainance is the big thing........ look after it and it will look after you.....
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club