C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Overheating Problem Resolved

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
dalicro   
Thu Oct 15 2015, 08:33am
Member No: #1932
This is a bit of a saga so please 'bear with'. Some time ago my C6 overheated whilst in slow-moving traffic. Once free of congestion, the temperature returned to normal. Garage number 1 ran a diagnostic test and couldn't find anything wrong.

Garage number 2 ran a diagnostic test and reported that the fans had 'seized' and that the a/c system was leaking. I was charged £108 for the test and labour and told that the repair would cost about £700 for two new fans + labour on top.

In addition I may need to replace a/c condenser but a dye test would show where the leak was. So, well over £1,200 for everything.

After some research and help from contributors on this site I found a local garage, Alistair Reid here in Perth, who freed off one fan and found no leak in the a/c system.

I bought one used fan from a breaker on Ebay (thanks for the tip Admin Dave!) for £150 and fitting cost £140. Job done.

The problem could have been diagnosed by garages 1 & 2 in 10 seconds by putting a hand through the radiator grille and trying to turn the fans!

Lessons learned:

1 Diagnostics are not a substitute for common sense.

2 Switch on a/c periodically to ensure fans don't seize.

3 Don't let the b---ers get you. Finally, thanks to this site, I saved myself a LOT of money.
C6Dave   
Thu Oct 15 2015, 10:32am

Member No: #1
Lesson to learn:

4. Ideally, you should leave the AC ON all year round as the dehumidifier function helps with internal condensation in the winter.

As the C6 has auto climate control, the effects on fuel consumption are negligible and are far outweighed by the potential repair bills of seized fan motors
Website
cruiserphil   
Thu Oct 15 2015, 01:09pm

Member No: #38
Dalicro,

Thanks for reporting back on the fix!

Best regards,

Phil C.
drummond   
Fri Oct 16 2015, 09:17am
Member No: #238
Dave, I learned that with the BX Gti I had in 1987 (1/8/1987 on an E plate, remember that- I was so proud!)

Car had a/c, it was the first BX in England, I believe. I didn't turn it on after September, and when I went to use it in April next year everything had seized. Never worked after that.
dalicro   
Wed Oct 21 2015, 10:32am
Member No: #1932
Thanks again for the comments and help. Not used to this 'climate control' milarky. Shall set system to 21 degrees on 'Auto' and leave it.

Lesson learned 1: Read the instructions (even if they do extend to 7 pages) BEFORE trying everything else.

Lesson learned 2: 'Lesson learned' is not the same as 'Lesson remembered'. By the way, here in Scotland we call climate control 'clothes'.
C6Dave   
Wed Oct 21 2015, 11:37am

Member No: #1
dalicro wrote ...

By the way, here in Scotland we call climate control 'clothes'.

Ah, nearby on Tyneside they don't bother about the clothes but load up on the booze instead (which costs more than clothes or diesel )
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club