Noise on start up

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
emkay1985   
Wed Apr 01 2015, 09:41pm
Member No: #1977
Hi Guys

Have posted here before regarding a power steering issue which you helped with, made the job a lot easier. My C6 has always had a irritating noise on start up, its almost like a ticking which lasts for 2-3 seconds after start up, no lights remain on (oil light etc) after start up, but i have heard of oil pumps been an issue on these engines - is that true? Would this noise be a low oil pressure noise until its built up? When i bought the car it was accident damaged - had driven over something and sliced the sump, so the sump, strainer and dipstick guide had been disturbed, but no signs of damaged further than those items so i can't see the engine been internally damaged as I've covered over 3K miles in it now with it running fine baring this noise.

lots of people sacrificing C6's for discos and jags i think, I was going to change the timing belt kit and water pump on it anyway, and guess the oil pump is down at the crank so would be good time to change it, get it all out the way.

Another issue that I've with the car is [%*^#@!] brakes - the pedal is spongy and the travel is long, do C6's suffer from master cylinder issues?

Any help is appreciated! Rather be pointed in the right direction and get it sorted right first time.

Cheers, Dave
chillmax   
Wed Apr 01 2015, 10:11pm
Member No: #1648
Dave I think you need a second person, so they can start the car whilst you listen under the bonnet so you can at least get a direction of the sound!!

JJ
Website
C6Dave   
Thu Apr 02 2015, 07:39am

Member No: #1
The brakes should not be spongy. It requires Lexia/Diagbox to open the ABS valve block ports to bleed them properly.

My local CIT dealer only charges £30 for a full brake fluid change including the fluid......
Website
emkay1985   
Thu Apr 02 2015, 03:09pm
Hi guys, thanks for the replies, been daft i forgot to mention its a 2.7 V6 hdi, the noise only seems to be there first thing on a morning, or after its been stood for a hour or so.

Was pondering if the master cylinders were common as the brakes all look ok, no serious work has been done as the car has only covered 45K.
e3steve   
Fri Apr 03 2015, 05:30pm
Member No: #1163
emkay1985 wrote ...

.....My C6 has always had a irritating noise on start up, its almost like a ticking which lasts for 2-3 seconds after start up, no lights remain on (oil light etc) after start up, but i have heard of oil pumps been an issue on these engines - is that true? Would this noise be a low oil pressure noise until its built up?.....

Cheers, Dave

All 2.7s that I've encountered -- five so far -- suffer that noise: hydraulic tappets! My pal's Range Rover does it, I've heard a P407 do it and three C6s I know of do it.
emkay1985   
Mon Apr 06 2015, 06:59pm
Hiya

Sorry for a lack of reply, people have been up over the Easter weekend, thanks for the reply Steve, does take some anxiety off my mind as I don't want to do any lasting damage.

Will have to have a look into the brakes! its MOT is up in May so will see what the examiner has to say, they work OK just don't feel great.

Do love my C6, so individual, I lent it out to my Son as he needed to borrow it, we both came back to work but from different directions, i didn't recognise the registration number from afar and was instantly irritated at the fact there was 'another' C6 in York! What a muppet!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club