C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Got my old C6 back :)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
David Hallworth   
Fri Oct 16 2015, 10:48pm

Member No: #90
There are nights when I really hate cars... Tonight is one of them!

Whoever decided to put a steel balljoint into an aluminium pivot deserves to be shot!

All of the parts I'd ordered arrived into stock yesterday so I thought that tonight would be a fairly simple job of reassembling the car.

My shopping list comprised of:

2 upper ball joints
4 upper hub bushes
2 rear abs sensors
1 front abs sensor
2 bottom hub bushes
and a handful of replacement locknuts that I'd taken off when stripping the car down.

Tonight I tried to get the upper balljoint off the N/S/F hub. It didn't play ball...

I applied some heat from the blowtorch and tried again...

After this failed I removed the whole pivot assembly from the car and put it in the vice. I upped the ante a bit this time and moved from the blowtorch to the Oxy Acetylene rig... I got the hub hot and used a big pair of stilsons, it still wouldn't budge. I slipped a 6 foot scaffolding pole over the stilsons and finally the balljoint moved.

As soon as the heat escaped from the hub the balljoint got tight again so I had to keep the hub constantly hot to keep the ball joint moving. It was tight all the way out. Once the balljoint got half way out of the pivot I noticed that when I pulled the stilsons the balljoint went off square, the next pull of the stilsons saw it just tear out of the pivot leaving half of the threads knackered.

Annoyingly now I'm going to have to buy the whole pivot from Citroen which retails at £252. It comes with the lower bush, balljoint and upper bushes that I've already spent about £90 on...

I've bought all the parts to do the N/S/F as well but after all of these problems doing the drivers side I'm tempted to keep them in the box until it fails it's MOT on them

Anyway, seeing as I'm now on first name terms with the parts guys I'll go and see what they can do in the morning. It never rains but it pours!

David.
Cisco   
Fri Oct 16 2015, 11:15pm
Member No: #1429
David,

I've just been watching the movie "wolfman". Your tale of woe is equally scary..good luck with it!
e3steve   
Sat Oct 17 2015, 08:10am
Member No: #1163
I have the upper swivel tool and I've offered to send it to whomever needs to use it (as long as it's returned to me)... - Click Here -
David Hallworth   
Sat Oct 17 2015, 09:25am

Steve,

This one was so tight it ripped the lugs off my socket.

I remember the first time round when I had this car in 2010 these ball joints were replaced under warranty by Citroen Glasgow. Last night when heating it I could smell torque seal burning off it so I'm sure they locked it in.

I've ordered a new one which should be here by Wednesday. I'm not going to bother doing the passengers side now though, that's for sure.

David.
e3steve   
Sat Oct 17 2015, 11:55am
Member No: #1163
David Hallworth wrote ...

Steve,

This one was so tight it ripped the lugs off my socket.

I remember the first time round when I had this car in 2010 these ball joints were replaced under warranty by Citroen Glasgow. Last night when heating it I could smell torque seal burning off it so I'm sure they locked it in.

I've ordered a new one which should be here by Wednesday. I'm not going to bother doing the passengers side now though, that's for sure.

David.
To be fair, anyone tackling this job would need access to a ¾"-drive socket set and a length of scaffold pole!
David Hallworth   
Sat Oct 17 2015, 01:24pm

Absolutely.

I've got bits of 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" sets strewn all over the ramp at the moment.

Having the 4 post ramp makes jobs so much easier, problem is that I thought doing these wouldn't be to bad as it was stripped when I had the hub off. if I'd of been sitting on my [%*^#@!] on the floor I'd have only done the hub.

Citroen won't have the swivel support till Wednesday now which is annoying as I'm away next weekend so it'll be 3 weeks that the cars been in bits occupying the ramp waiting for parts. I hope nothing else breaks in the meantime!

A simple wheel bearing change has now amounted to over £600 in parts alone even with a substantial discount being offered by the local dealers parts department.

David.
David Hallworth   
Wed Oct 21 2015, 10:38pm

Well the new pivot support arrived today. It's not as shiny as I thought it might be for a "brand new" aluminium part. It almost looks as if it's been reworked.

Anyway, it's built back up. I've balanced the front wheels tonight too as well so it's just about done.

I'm tempted to forget doing the rear sensors for now as I've had enough of working on the car!

Just need to get the tracking done on it before it gets used again.

David.
C6Dave   
Thu Oct 22 2015, 07:48am

Member No: #1
When bleeding the brakes you may need to open the ABS block valves using Lexia David.

Hopefully if you clamp the flexi pipe at the hub before disconnecting you won't need to, but if they still feel 'spongy'.....
Website
David Hallworth   
Sun Oct 25 2015, 08:57pm

The front end is now sorted and back together.

This evening I've got the back of the car up on the jacking beam. I had to cut the exhaust clamp bolt as it was corroded but the backbox came off easily enough and appears to be in great condition. I stripped the back brakes down and managed to get a long drift through the holes in the hub for the wheel bolts and knocked both sensors out backwards. The new sensors are in place and the cables are run as far as the tank. Tomorrow evenings job is to drop the tank down and run the cables.

Fingers crossed I can get it finished without any other major issues.

David.
David Hallworth   
Thu Oct 29 2015, 11:02pm

Well, after a 2 week battle with the C6, a majority of which has been spent waiting for parts to arrive, the final bits were collected from the dealer today.

In the box are 2 exhaust clamps (DPF to centre section and centre to back box) and an oil filter and 6 litres of oil.

I'll get the car finished off tomorrow evening and off the ramp. Unfortunately it's my on call weekend so it'll need to wait until Monday to get the tracking set after having replacement track rod ends.

With a heavy heart and after much deliberating and talking to Cheryl I've come to the decision that the C6 is going to need to be rehomed, again

I've got a van that I use for work during the week so none of my cars do very much mileage. My Range Rover has done 2500 miles in 11 months, the Xantia Activa has done 900 miles, and the XM has only done 300 miles this year. Due to where we live I cannot be without a 4x4 over the winter and I do need something for towing a big trailer as well so the Range Rover needs to stay. The Activa and the XM aren't going anywhere either as I've had them for so long.

Cheryl also won't drive the C6 as she doesn't feel comfortable with the size of it unfortunately. Her car is a 207 HDi GT which has been utterly reliable and has given us no problems other then a clutch slave cylinder which cost £38 from the dealer and took an hour to fit. She's had that 3 years now and put 70k on it.

Thankfully her commute has gone from 120 miles a day, down to about 38 miles a day so the mega mileage is no longer an issue.

So, a plan has been hatched to find a good home for my C6, and to find a new home for the 207. Cheryl's only criteria for replacing her car was that it needed to be "a bit bigger" then her 207 but not as big as the C6.

So... I've now got her to agree to a 3.0 HDi C5 Exclusive. I reckon that'll be a fair compromise for something that'll keep me amused and give her a car that she'll enjoy driving as well.

The last job to have done to my car is to have the wheels refurbished before advertising it for sale and then it is immaculate bar a tiny car park ding in the centre of the rear drivers door. If I can find one, I’ll get a paintless dent removal guy to sort it.

So… If anyone is, or knows anyone looking for a 2007 C6 Exclusive with 47k miles on it, 11 months MOT, full main dealer history and lots of shiny new parts in the last couple of weeks, get in touch

David.
gmerry   
Fri Oct 30 2015, 10:20am
Member No: #21
Hi David, here's my tips/observations wrt to replacing the rear ABS sensors on a 2008 (2007 build year) 2.7HDi.

1/ Since most of the work is involved in lowering the fuel tank, think about replacing both rear sensors (Bosch 0 986 594 523 WS523),1.8m long same for both sides. These sensors are cheap as chips

2/ To remove the exhaust section, there are two clamps to undo. One is just aft of the particle filter and the other is just before the rear silencer. Despite wire brushing and penetrant, one clamp snapped and the other was compromised. I suggest ordering two off replacements - #171369 about £5 each. The rear silencer can be left dangling in place. I suggest a temporary support for the heavy front section to stop excessive deflections of the flexibles. There are two exhaust brackets bolted to M6 studs. You want to spend a lot of time getting the corrosion off the studs as shearing these off would be a rear pain.

With the exhaust out of the way, there are plastic rivets to be removed that hold the exhaust heat shield in place. If you need to replace these, they come in bags of 5 #153916 and they cost £1.20 per rivet.

3/ Now its time to tackle the wheel hubs. The brake calipers and disks need to be removed so that the old ABS sensors can be punched out (there will probably be some alloy corrosion wedging them in place). Once the brake discs are removed, have a look at the magnetic target (bearing seals) and check for the amount of corrosion debris. Check if the sheet metal disc protectors are disintegrating and shedding chunks of magnetic debris on the sensors/targets. Consider fitting new disc protectors #4209A8 about £26 each.

First remove the M6 capscrew from the inside of the wheel hub and then using an old screwdriver, shear off the protruding part of the ABS sensors. Punch through the remaining stub with a punch pushed through one of the wheel stud holes in the hub. Clean up the holes for the sensors using emery tape or your favourite weapon.

4/ Before the two outer tank fastener screws can be accessed, there are plastic trims on the underside of the car, in front of both wheels to be removed. On the left side of the car, there are some plastic rivets to removed and then there is a M6 flanged nut attached to a probably very corroded stud. This stud is also hidden deep with the plastic moulding. Mine snapped off despite all precautions being taken - have a method worked out on how to hold it back together. The right hand side plastic guard is much more tricky. The two rear screws that connect with the wheel arch liner will probably be corroded solid if the car has not been apart before. I replaced these troublesome fasteners with stainless spire nuts and flanged screws from Brescos see Bresco part numner SNU-3489SSP

- Click Here -

Inside the rear wheel arch, the mudguard liner needs to be partially removed, to access a nut at the top of the filler tube (hidden behind the liner). So another of the corroded screws that screw into a spire type nut will need to be removed (front bottom of the wheel arch). Then peel the wheel arch liner backwards. Openthe filler cap housing, there is a large O ring to be removed from the filler neck, and undo the nut at the top of the filler neck.

Now inside the car, access the flap under the right rear seat and disconnect the tank wiring connector, the right ABS sensor, the left ABS sensor and the fuel connectors. It is well to mark the sensor fixed wiring as left and right because the new sensors will not be colour coded like the originals and you don't want the wreck the ABS system by accidentally cross wiring.

The tank is now ready to be unbolted (one screw on each side the car and two in the centre (just off the centreline). I had only 1 bar showing of the fuel gauge so tank was easy to handle.

5/ To be completed
David Hallworth   
Fri Oct 30 2015, 12:05pm

Thanks G.

My tank had just over a 1/4 in it when I dropped it. I used a transmission jack underneath it and lowered it just enough to run the ABS sensor cables across the top of it.

I've dropped the tank on a C6 twice now, once on the 2.7 to replace the ABS sensors and once on the 2.2 I had to replace the diesel tank.

The wheels are going in tomorrow to be refurbished as well.

David.
C6Dave   
Fri Oct 30 2015, 01:49pm

Member No: #1
David Hallworth wrote ...

So… If anyone is, or knows anyone looking for a 2007 C6 Exclusive with 47k miles on it, 11 months MOT, full main dealer history and lots of shiny new parts in the last couple of weeks, get in touch

David.

Just to clarify, is a 2.7 Hdi or a 2.2 David?
Website
Trainman   
Fri Oct 30 2015, 05:54pm

Member No: #86
It's a 2.7 Dave
David Hallworth   
Sat Oct 31 2015, 12:25am

It is indeed, it's my Iron Grey 2.7 Exclusive
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club