Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Engine cut out on braking - battery flat when attempting restart.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gregsNG56OOF   
Mon Mar 09 2015, 01:23pm
Member No: #1832
Hello Everyone,
May I delve into the wealth of knowledge on this site to solve this incident that happened to me last Wednesday on the journey home from Dover.

Because of the M26 being shut due to an accident I decided to circumvent it by driving through Tonbridge and joining the M25 after the M26.

I was travelling at 35/40 mph on the outskirts of Tonbridge when I had to brake for traffic ahead suddenly the steering went stiff and I realised the engine had cut out.

I could not restart the car and the symptoms were consistent with that of a flat battery.

Luckily I had a passenger and we pushed the stricken C6 out of the road and onto the pavement and called the AA.

On his arrival he used his jump starter to start the car and measured the alternator output at a healthy 14.4 V

After successfully finding the OBD socket in the centre console he found no faults stored and we continued the journey with no further incident.

Would not want that happening on the motorway so please any advice on what might be the culprit will be much appreciated Thanks.
C6Dave   
Mon Mar 09 2015, 04:04pm

Member No: #1
There is an impact sensor/accelerometer that will cut off fuel pump etc. in the event of a bump, maybe it's a dirty wiring connector/poor earth somewhere?
Website
speedfix   
Mon Mar 09 2015, 09:42pm
Member No: #1043
Could be the one way clutch on the altenator worn and letting go when hot[not charging]flat battery.
When the unit cools down contraction lets it grip and seems ok.
Check for rust around the altenator drive.
Cisco   
Mon Mar 09 2015, 10:44pm
Member No: #1429
speedfix wrote ...

Could be the one way clutch on the altenator worn and letting go when hot[not charging]flat battery.
When the unit cools down contraction lets it grip and seems ok.
Check for rust around the altenator drive.

Yup, good chance that the alt pulley is on the way out and has caused the flat battery. I had no warning message until the battery had run down a couple of times. Good call Speedfix.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club