C6 Fuel Tank Breather

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
David Hallworth   
Sat Mar 07 2015, 11:16pm

Member No: #90
Here's a picture of the tank on the workshop floor:

I then put it on the workbench and put the camera in it to see what was going on. I then found where the spring came from...

That picture is taken where the bottom of the filler neck enters the tank. On the back of the plastic frame opposite where you can see the hole is a spigot that sticks out. I am pretty sure that the spring sits on the back of the spigot, it certainly seems to be the right size anyway. The only unfortunate thing is I can't get my arm in far enough to try and reseat the spring.

Anybody got arms like Mr. Tickle and fancy getting covered in Diesel?

There's two C6's on eBay at the moment that are interesting. I've sent one of them an email to see if we can reach a deal. If we can then I've got a fuel tank and there will be a load of C6 parts available to make everybody else C6's perfect again

David.
Trainman   
Sun Mar 08 2015, 12:48pm

Member No: #86
David Hallworth wrote ...

Anybody got arms like Mr. Tickle and fancy getting covered in Diesel?

I'm glad you posted that comment on this forum and not some other's.............. you could have a got a response that would make your eyes water.
BillTodd   
Sun Mar 08 2015, 05:45pm
Member No: #1775
Dave,

Any chance you could open the closed end of the spring coil and then 'thread' it around the flap by twisting the spring? (A bit like putting a key on a key ring)

Bill
David Hallworth   
Sun Mar 08 2015, 10:56pm

Bill, the problem is I can't see the flap in the filler neck to fit the spring to. The other problem is I can't actually get my arm far enough into the tank to be able to reach it properly. I can touch that white frame around where the filler neck enters the tank but because of the frame I can't get my hands or fingers into the neck enough to even touch the flap.

I found a stamp on the side of the tank, it's manufactured by a company called Inergy. They seem to be a massive company that manufacture tanks for 90% of car manufactures. On their tanks, inside the filler neck, just where it enters the tank is a check valve that stops diesel coming back up the filler when filling and stops diesel leaving the tank if you ever roll the car.

I'm guessing this is where the spring has come from but don't have a clue how to re-attach it. There's a few places in Glasgow that offer fuel tank repairs so I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they can suggest.

Fingers crossed anyway!

There's a tank on eBay in Denmark which isn't a bad price, however, the part number they're listing shows it as a 3.0 HDi fuel tank, unfortunately, according to service.citroen.com, the 3.0 HDi is the only C6 out of the entire range that has a different part number for the tank. I wonder if it's something as simple as they've changed manufacturer or if the tank is actually different.

I'm not even sure how to check what the differences between the two tanks are as they look very similar.

David.
Hattershaun   
Mon Mar 09 2015, 07:34am
Member No: #320
The twin exhausts on the 3.0HDi may require a different fuel tank. That's not to say it wouldn't fit a 2.2 of 2.7HDi. If you like I'll ask for mine to be inspected and compared to a 2.2 fuel tank.
We may open a can of worms of different sender units and calibration of fuel gauges, however.
gmerry   
Mon Mar 09 2015, 09:12am
Member No: #21
Hattershaun, if you don't mind the correction, could I suggest that would be a CANBUS of worms.

David, have you established that the problem is not the breather but rather the filler check valve? If that is the case, remove the remains of the check valve and insert another discrete item in the filler neck itself???

Regards
G
David Hallworth   
Mon Mar 09 2015, 02:26pm

Hi G,

The pump will click off after a litre in some cases which makes me think that it can't be the breather as it'd take more then a litre to cause the problems.

After removing the tank the breather does appear to be clear and not blocked and after finding the spring in the tank and seeing the end of the valve with the inspection camera then I'm leaning towards thinking that it's the check valve rather then the breaker.

Problem with removing it is I can't actually get my hands into the tank far enough to even touch the white cage around it properly, if I removed it completely, then it could still lead to problems filling still as the diesel goes back up the filler neck during filling, and I'm not sure that I'd find something else to go into the filler neck.

I've found a used fuel tank in Germany from a 2.7 but the seller isn't prepared to post it to the UK. I also get the impression EasyJet wouldn't be impressed if I turned up at the airport trying to check a used fuel tank into the hold!

David.
Tjensen   
Mon Mar 09 2015, 03:04pm
Member No: #954
There is a "3,0 Hdi differences" document on this system, quite a lot of them and especially in the tank/exhaust area.
gmerry   
Mon Mar 09 2015, 03:45pm
Hi David, you probably already know this, but there is an Ebay seller known as saverabbits (or similar) who has broken a few C6s: might have a tank.

Regarding fixing your existing tank (to gain access to replace the spring), another option might be to cut a hole and then plastic weld up the damage. With the right expertise, it might not be so hard. Hendersons seem to offer this service - Click Here -

This company in Israel seem to manufacture the flap valves, they may have one that would fit in the filler neck (or could be modified?) - Click Here -

Regards and best of luck
G
David Hallworth   
Mon Mar 09 2015, 05:11pm

I've been studying the pictures in great detail today and the shape of the bottle on the breather at the top of the filler neck is completely different on the 3.0 tank, as is the shape of the top of the tank.

There is a 2.7 tank in East Germany on eBay for £165. Unfortunately the seller won't ship it. I've spoken to EasyJet who have confirmed that they'd let me check it into the hold, as long as it was completely empty and wrapped to nothing could drip. Problem is EasyJet only fly to Berlin (65 quid each way) which is 2 hours away by car so I'd need to hire a car (£50) plus fuel (say another £50) which all starts to mount up. Without factoring in time that would cost £395. The other problem with a 2nd hand tank is, as pointed out by Shaun, what if the seller drained it by siphoning it with a hose as well?

My local dealer is offering me a 22% discount after some hard negotiating on a new tank bringing it to £499 including VAT.

G, I wrote to saverabbits the other night, unfortunately he doesn't have one, neither does the chap who broke on in Hastings. The only other place I can think of is JC Halliday in Northern Ireland who seem to be very difficult to get to commit to selling anything! I've had to buy a new piece of sound proofing to go under the bonnet on this 2.2 as it was scruffy and I just couldn't get them to commit to selling.

I tried to give Hendersons a call but they were closed. The only thing I'm not sure about is how a courier would feel about moving the tank with the fumes that would come from it in the van.

I've tried to get in touch with 3 eBay sellers, one of them has a blue 2.7 Exclusive that has been written off. That seller seems to think the car is worth a fortune as the wheels have been powder coated black. The other one is KS Motors with the 160k mile 2.7 Exclusive who I can't get hold of, I've also tried to get in touch about the silver 2.2 without much luck so far.

I think, realistically I'm going to have to buy a new tank from the dealer. It just pains me to pay so much for what is effectively a plastic tub.
gmerry   
Tue Mar 10 2015, 11:19am
Hi David, I guess now that have got to the point (mentally) of buying a new tank, there is nothing to be lost by cutting an access hole in the tank and trying to repair the check valve flap - presumably the tank will need to go in the skip anyhow. Other than an hour or so of your time!

Regards
G
gbl   
Tue Mar 10 2015, 05:03pm
Member No: #936
David Hallworth wrote ...

My local dealer is offering me a 22% discount after some hard negotiating on a new tank bringing it to £499 including VAT.

David,
Sorry to read about all your trouble. Have you considered ordering the tank from Midi Auto Lorient? Assuming that they ship to the UK for the same EUR 16 flat rate as they do to Denmark, it seems that you can have a 1500CS delivered at your doorstep for around GBP 460.
David Hallworth   
Wed Mar 11 2015, 12:52am

gbl, I hadn't seen that website before, thank you!

I've had a look and they're quoting €16 delivery for the tank as well.

I've mailed them with a couple of questions this evening so will see what their response is tomorrow. As long as everything is good, I'll order the tank tomorrow.

David.
Trainman   
Wed Mar 11 2015, 01:32am

Member No: #86
Here is the link to the aforementioned website - Click Here -
David Hallworth   
Thu Mar 12 2015, 10:14pm

Right, I've had no luck with that company in France. They're being evasive in answering my questions.

I asked two questions... How quickly can they deliver and what can they do on the tax if being bought through a VAT registered company in the UK. They then emailed me a quote which was more expensive then it was on the website.

I got in touch with my local dealer where I have a trade account, they managed to give me a fairly substantial discount on the fuel tank as I'm in and out of there all the time and spend a lot of money with them.

Anyway, it should be here on Tuesday.

David.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club