C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Boot Lid Hydraulic Support Struts

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
blackhatphil   
Wed Oct 15 2014, 02:21pm
Member No: #882
Can anyone tell me if their boot lid, if let go on its way down, will slam shut or be caught and gently carried down by the hydraulic struts?!?

Mine does the latter - bangs so hard it threw out the lens cover on the number-plate lamp! I won't be doing that again!

I am just curious to know if the struts are meant to do anything except support the boot lid in the upright position...
Tjensen   
Wed Oct 15 2014, 03:40pm
Member No: #954
Nice and gentle. Mine is a bit slow and stiff if the car has been resting for a time. It gets weaker (slamming) over time, but fairly standard struts and easy to change (I think). Only for support, not even remote lock/unlock of the boot...
e3steve   
Wed Oct 15 2014, 04:13pm
Member No: #1163
blackhatphil wrote ...

Can anyone tell me if their boot lid, if let go on its way down, will slam shut or be caught and gently carried down by the hydraulic struts?!?

Mine does the latter - bangs so hard it threw out the lens cover on the number-plate lamp! I won't be doing that again!

I am just curious to know if the struts are meant to do anything except support the boot lid in the upright position...
Mine was the same. So was Colin's (member colinc) which I'm caretaking until next month.

The gas rams are on eBay - Click Here - and they make a helluva difference. I now grab the closing handle and pull gently; the lid closes very nicely.

EDITED! For some reason the link, or item number therein, was altered. When I edited this post this was part of the link <CITROEN-C6-2005-Tailgate-Boot-Struts-Gas-Springs-Lifters-x2-SET-/140947731067>, so my original post was correct at the time. Sorry anyway for any inconvenience to anyone (Phil?)...
magicands   
Mon Oct 27 2014, 03:58pm
Member No: #1021
Hi all, after reading this thread I replaced my boot lid struts as it was always very heavy to open & would close with a thud and, oh boy is it heavy.

I can confirm that after replacing the struts £60 for the pair from Citroen that the boot now almost opens itself, and closing is so much smoother.

Without the struts the boot weighs an absolute ton, must be the Spoiler mechanism and motor?

Anyway, if you have to lift your C6 boot to open it then your gas struts are shot and you should replace them.

They are easy to remove (5 mins) by simply levering the retaining clip from each end of the struts (see photo) with a small flat blade screwdriver, there is a space for the screwdriver to slot into and I simply tapped with a small hammer and the retainers popped out.

Don't forget to grease up the ball joints that are left connected to the vehicle and then simply tap your new Strut into place. I found a short hard hit with the palm of the hand worked. Start at the boot fixing and then lastly the body end which will probably not line up and you will have to turn the shaft around.

Again I simply used a small monkey wrench (pliers would would work) and rotated the head (DO NOT USE WRENCHES ON THE SHAFT) until it was in line with the ball joint on the car body work. As before just hit it with your hand and it will pop into place.

I suggest doing one strut at a time and NOT removing the 2 old ones as the boot is very heavy and likely to fall back down causing damage and or injury.

I have attached a couple of photos showing the retainers on the struts.
Anyway, my boot is now absolutely brilliant and I am over the moon.

Website
speedfix   
Mon Oct 27 2014, 06:44pm
Member No: #1043
- Click Here -

Two year guarantee from these folk, £45.58 incl VAT free del if order over £50.00.

Every little helps!

magicands   
Mon Oct 27 2014, 07:18pm
speedfix wrote ...

- Click Here -

Two year guarantee from these folk, £45.58 incl VAT free del if order over £50.00.

Every little helps!

I got mine at trade so only paid £56.96 instead of £64.00, I looked at many on eBay but when I gave my VIN none of them fitted my C6 so I went with the dealer option and I guess was proved right to do so as I got a discount and also the cast iron guarantee that they were indeed the correct fitting.
Thanks for the link though

Website
gbl   
Tue Oct 28 2014, 09:17am
Member No: #936
e3steve wrote ...

The gas rams are on eBay - Click Here - and they make a helluva difference. I now grab the closing handle and pull gently; the lid closes very nicely.

Hi e3steve
Did you actually buy the boot lid struts from that ebay seller in Latvia? Price is very attractive, but the OEM number 792520 quoted on the ebay listing indicates that these are struts for the hood....???
blackhatphil   
Tue Oct 28 2014, 11:16am
Member No: #882
HA! That would explain it - I DID buy them and they are NOT for the Boot Lid, despite what the eBay auction says, you are quite right. Was about to send them back and get a refund but for the price, I'll stick them on the bonnet (assuming they fit OK of course!)
magicands   
Tue Oct 28 2014, 11:56am
blackhatphil wrote ...

HA! That would explain it - I DID buy them and they are NOT for the Boot Lid, despite what the eBay auction says, you are quite right. Was about to send them back and get a refund but for the price, I'll stick them on the bonnet (assuming they fit OK of course!)

That is exactly why I went to the main dealer, I tried 4 places on eBay on 2 said they would not fit and the other 2 said "NOT SURE" so by the time you have sent them back and paid the return postage costs you may as well have gone to the main dealer. It may cost you a few quid more but you know what you are getting.
Website
speedfix   
Wed Oct 29 2014, 05:04pm
Arrived to-day, they did not disappoint, steel ends and a larger unit than the oem ones, quality product IMO.

e3steve   
Sat Nov 01 2014, 11:55am
gbl wrote ...

e3steve wrote ...

Hi e3steve
Did you actually buy the boot lid struts from that ebay seller in Latvia? Price is very attractive, but the OEM number 792520 quoted on the ebay listing indicates that these are struts for the hood....???

Aaaaaarrrgghhh!! I posted the wrong link! Sorry guys...

- Click Here -

Original post now edited..

If you right-click on the link above (in gbl's quote) and choose "inspect element" the link returns a path that definitely states <CITROEN-C6-TD-2005-Tailgate-Boot-Struts-Gas-Springs-Lifters> but suffixed with a different number. I remain mystified... Further apologies to blackhatphil for his abortive purchase
e3steve   
Sat Nov 01 2014, 12:17pm
magicands wrote ...

Hi all, after reading this thread I replaced my boot lid struts as it was always very heavy to open & would close with a thud and, oh boy is it heavy.

I can confirm that after replacing the struts £60 for the pair from Citroen that the boot now almost opens itself, and closing is so much smoother.
SIXTY QUID!!!!?

magicands wrote ...
They are easy to remove (5 mins) by simply levering the retaining clip from each end of the struts (see photo) with a small flat blade screwdriver, there is a space for the screwdriver to slot into and I simply tapped with a small hammer and the retainers popped out.
You only need to prise the clip away slightly from its seat and pull the cup from the ball; just partially insert a small pick or screwdriver blade.

magicands wrote ...
Start at the boot fixing and then lastly the body end which will probably not line up and you will have to turn the shaft around.

Again I simply used a small monkey wrench (pliers would would work) and rotated the head (DO NOT USE WRENCHES ON THE SHAFT) until it was in line with the ball joint on the car body work. As before just hit it with your hand and it will pop into place.
The ramrod should rotate within the ram easily by hand; no re-aligning of the joint cups should be necessary...

magicands wrote ...
I suggest doing one strut at a time and NOT removing the 2 old ones as the boot is very heavy and likely to fall back down causing damage and or injury.
Yup!

magicands wrote ...
I have attached a couple of photos showing the retainers on the struts.
Anyway, my boot is now absolutely brilliant and I am over the moon.
Sweet!
e3steve   
Sat Nov 01 2014, 12:22pm
speedfix wrote ...

Arrived to-day, they did not disappoint, steel ends and a larger unit than the oem ones, quality product IMO.

Chunky! We use NitroLift rams for heavy deck hatches on yachts. A bit of an overkill for a C6 boot lid but they'll last! Those ball cups should be stainless steel...
travlician   
Sat Nov 01 2014, 01:08pm
Member No: #350
Partnumber for the NitroLift alternative?
speedfix   
Sun Nov 02 2014, 10:01am
Part number for the struts from the sgs engineering solutions link in previous posting is GSC2804.

I have no connection with the above company, I would like to think that they use a well know quote for their products "Take what exists and make it better"

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club