C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Suspension pump concern....

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
e3steve   
Sun Mar 02 2014, 12:53pm
Member No: #1163
I had the car in the highest position all afternoon yesterday, whilst I faffed underneath the front bumper. At the finish off the jobs, and whilst bleeding & topping up the cooling system with the engine up-to-temp, I noticed a few wisps of what appeared to be steam drifting up from beneath the header tank.

I had the cap off at the time, and could see some wisps from the header's filler orifice. Then I realised that, having sniffed the wisps from beneath, that these were actually fumes and smelled electrical! The suspension pump motor was too hot to touch!

Having recently replaced the motor with a used one that was, from my disassembly and inspection, in perfect order, this has led me to believe that the pump head itself may be struggling to cope. The pump could be heard "topping up" the max height demand placed upon the system each time a door or the boot was opened.

How hot does your pump get? Any chime-ins?
rogerandoutman   
Sun Mar 02 2014, 04:48pm
Member No: #466
i hope you had some axle stands or props under the car| I dont think I would trust just the hydraulic system only when working under the car.
If you leave the ignition key in place the pump will be energised.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club