Tools for AM6 gearbox drain and fill plugs

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gbl   
Wed Nov 13 2013, 06:21am
Member No: #936
Hi,

I want to change the ATF on my AM6 gearbox (2006 C6 2.7 HDi), and I want to make sure I have the necessary tools at hand for the fill and drain plugs before embarking on the job.

The Citroën procedure I have is not listing the tools, and reading through a couple of SAAB and Volvo forums describing the procedure for the same gearbox gave contradicting or unclear tool information, so I am hoping that someone on this excellent forum has done an AM6 drain and fill job and can confirm:

Fill plug - TORX 55 ?
Drain plug - TORX 40 ? Or TORX 45 ?
Level plug - 12 mm hex key? Or 17 mm hex key?

Any additional drain/fill job advice is of course appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

gbl
C6Dave   
Wed Nov 13 2013, 07:42am

Member No: #1
Gearbox drain and fill guide is in downloads: - Click Here -

bdeithrick wrote ...

So had a look at the instructions and came to the conclusion that they were over complicated.

Basicly i bought a torx set for €50 and these fit the Fluid Level Plug in the centre, this let go of 920ml of dirty black ATF.

then i had and used a 17 Allen key to remove the Drain Plug, this is the outer thick lip of the Fluid Level Plug.

this released a further 1830ml. total 2750ml.

I refitted the Drain Plug. ( the Drain Plug is opened by a 17 Allen key and has a pipe about 2 inches which rises up into the box setting the oil level) refit the Fluid Level Plug

I poured in the nice red fully synthetic Eurol ATF 1100. (N.B) replace the oil catcher basin under the drain cus you will need it to drain the extra thats higher than the level pipe.

3 litres was fed into the fill hole at the top of the box , under the air filter box, ( this air box needs removing.)

(Also i made up a pipe to fit into a plastic milk bottle to fed the fluid into the small filler hole.)

once 3 litres had been added and filler plug refitted, i started the engine and ran the gearbox thru it gears with brakes on and handbrake.this means R N D 1 2 3. and cycle thru 3 times to get the fluid in around the bands and gears.

once the coolant and oil were up to temp , i left the engine idle on flat surface, i released the Fluid Level Plug this released 200 ml of mixed new n old black fluid. once it came to slow drip the Fluid Level Plug was refitted and tightened.

level now correct.

refit the air box and 2 pipes with air mass plugs on. plus various vacuum hoses.

so i put in 3 litres, 200ml came out, so that's 2800ml + 4000 reckoned to be in the Torque converter.

the car runs sweet as a nut now, its willing to pull in D and changes through the 6 gears lovely. its 4 times better than the way it as. It jerked in reverse and was not willing at traffic light on hot day, Dogged i called it.

i also changed out the fuel filter and now it goes like a rocket , runs best it ever ran since I've owned it. had her up to 180kph cant say wear!

All the info is in this thread here: - Click Here -
Website
gmerry   
Wed Nov 13 2013, 09:11am
Member No: #21
Hi GBL, check out some of my posts (in addition to the link Dave has provided) as I have posted on this job many times. You will get more information on how to do the job on this C6 forum than conflicting data from a Volvo website.

Regards
G

PS, you will need a 3 litre calibrated jug to measure the amount of fluid drained off in the first instance.

Drain plug (Level weir) requires a 17mm Across Flats Hex Plug. I have a hollow plug which fits over the internal level screw
gbl   
Wed Nov 13 2013, 05:52pm
Member No: #936
Thank you both - very helpful.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club