Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

When to change the oil in the C6 auto gearbox?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 06:46pm

Member No: #1
Gearbox drain and fill guide is in downloads: - Click Here -
Website
bdeithrick   
Mon Apr 11 2011, 07:33pm
Member No: #70
So had a look at the instructions and came to the conclusion that they were over complicated.

Basicly i bought a torx set for €50 and these fit the Fluid Level Plug in the centre, this let go of 920ml of dirty black ATF.

then i had and used a 17 Allen key to remove the Drain Plug, this is the outer thick lip of the Fluid Level Plug.

this released a further 1830ml. total 2750ml.

I refitted the Drain Plug. ( the Drain Plug is opened by a 17 Allen key and has a pipe about 2 inches which rises up into the box setting the oil level) refit the Fluid Level Plug

I poured in the nice red fully synthetic Eurol ATF 1100. (N.B) replace the oil catcher basin under the drain cus you will need it to drain the extra thats higher than the level pipe.

3 litres was fed into the fill hole at the top of the box , under the air filter box, ( this air box needs removing.)

(Also i made up a pipe to fit into a plastic milk bottle to fed the fluid into the small filler hole.)

once 3 litres had been added and filler plug refitted, i started the engine and ran the gearbox thru it gears with brakes on and handbrake.this means R N D 1 2 3. and cycle thru 3 times to get the fluid in around the bands and gears.

once the coolant and oil were up to temp , i left the engine idle on flat surface, i released the Fluid Level Plug this released 200 ml of mixed new n old black fluid. once it came to slow drip the Fluid Level Plug was refitted and tightened.

level now correct.

refit the air box and 2 pipes with air mass plugs on. plus various vacuum hoses.

so i put in 3 litres, 200ml came out, so that's 2800ml + 4000 reckoned to be in the Torque converter.

the car runs sweet as a nut now, its willing to pull in D and changes through the 6 gears lovely. its 4 times better than the way it as. It jerked in reverse and was not willing at traffic light on hot day, Dogged i called it.

i also changed out the fuel filter and now it goes like a rocket , runs best it ever ran since I've owned it. had her up to 180kph cant say wear!

B, enjoy your summer. Slan !

dsharples   
Tue Apr 26 2011, 10:23pm
Member No: #119
Two questions:

(1) Does anyone have any actual pictures with some orientation/practical home guide - as the first picture in the guide is unintelligible. I.e. looking up from under the car, its bolt x & y.

(2) What is the ATF Spec? I have some PSA Esso ATF D 21065 which is what Citroen used latterly in my old XM - and I believe are recommending for the C6 (?), as well as some Total Fluide ATX, which I understood met the ZF standards for my old XM - but I never actually used (!). The Total Fluide ATX meets Dexron IID - but you seem to suggest that something more exotic is required Dexron IIE (e.g. Total Fluide SYN FE or equivalent).

Regards, David.
gmerry   
Wed Apr 27 2011, 06:34am
Member No: #21
David, a subject of some interest to me...

PSA list a part number in the mechanics guide, but given it's a Aisin transmission (Toyota subsidiary), it's as well to look at what Fords, Mazdas, Toyotas,Saabs use. There's also a Aisin part number. - Click Here - Read this as a possible fluid

The Saab fluid is widely quoted on the internet.

Regards
G
gmerry   
Wed Apr 27 2011, 01:57pm
In the UK, probably easiest to obtain Comma AWS fluid - Click Here - specifically recommended for Aisin transmissions and exact match to the Ford Part number (WSS-M2XC-924-A) using the same transmission as the C6..

Regards
G

PS, the downloaded Citroen instructions specifically state to use Esso Red JWS3309 oil for the auto gearbox. We can be 99% sure that the Comma AWS stuff is the same as Esso are the parent company for Comma and the Comma oil will just be rebranded/labelled Esso oil in any case
cruiserphil   
Fri May 06 2011, 02:27pm

Member No: #38
Thanks lads.

The Comma recomendation is great. I was wondering how I would get the fluid for the box. I know it's supposed to be lifetime but I wouldn't be happy with that. I understand that this was Citroen's mistake with the ZF auto in the XM (not lifetime but too long an interval!!)

I changed out the oil on the XM at 6000 to 12000 intervals. At 130,000 miles that transmission is running sweet. I have a friend who had an XM with regular oil change driving at 230,000 miles!!

I'm not proposing 6000 miles change but I want to see what the oil is like in the cars as they're at the 54,000 mile level.

Regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Fri May 06 2011, 09:56pm
Phil, the clutch packs will generate some wear particles; even if the fluid doesn't go off spec (viscosity range and friction factor) due to shear and heat, the particles will cause wear of the many valve components.

I'm planning on changing mine myself, some time over the summer. This will be less than 30,000 miles so maybe worth taking a few photos inside a white (joghurt) container to establish a base for the fluid.

I'm planning on 3 changes, to give a calculated 80% new fluid concentration. Just a single drain refill of such a small amount, much less than 1/2 total capacity probably a waste of time.

Regards
G
dsharples   
Fri May 06 2011, 10:34pm
Member No: #119
I also believe that the Saab gearbox fluid ATF 3309 from Parts for Saabs would be compatible. I have purchased many parts from these guys for my Saab's in the past.

- Click Here -.
cruiserphil   
Tue May 10 2011, 06:39pm

Thanks G and D.

G. if you change oil several times what interval would you give between changes - a short spin, a day?? Obviously you want to flush the converter?

Regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Sat May 21 2011, 02:57pm
Phil C, sorry for delay but to answer your question, I would have thought a 5 mile drive between partial changes would be sufficient. The main reason that I suggest 5 miles is that this should ensure gearbox oil is fully up to temperature. If using Citroen service computer, you might find less than 5 miles is OK.

To raise and lower the car quickly for each partial change(3 cycles) I'm using 4 x railway sleepers cut at an angle. Very stable and safe (put suspension on high setting put also use safety stands as well). The railway sleeper seller used a chainsaw to cut the angle.

See photos.

Regards
G

C6Dave   
Sat May 21 2011, 03:34pm

Member No: #1
Nice tip to get some decent clearance G
Website
cruiserphil   
Sat May 21 2011, 04:29pm

No problem G. Thanks for tip on height, but I'm fortunate to have a pit so no issues there. Will report back on status when I do the job. Regards, Phil C.
gmerry   
Tue May 24 2011, 07:11am
Hi all, for anyone thinking of changing their ATF, Opie Oil stock Amsoil Synthetic ATF which meets the JWS3309 specification. With the 10% Citroen C6 members discount, plus a further 15% offer to the end of May, this is currently the cheapest ATF available (that meets the JWS3309 spec). I've bought 2 x 5 litre packs, enough for 3 times partial changes plus top up to correct level.

Regards
G
gmerry   
Sat May 28 2011, 06:18pm
Well changed the AM6 transmission Fluid. Very much smoother changes now and that was with less than 25k miles on the clock.

The Citroen procedure is very straightforward, just a little to add. Draining the oil, a Torx T40 key is needed for the inner plug. The outer Plug (which is a plug and a tube to set the level) needs a 17mm hex key. Its very tight and plan on using a torque wrench to re-tighten. For the filler plug, this needs a Torx T55 key.

The filler thread for the box is M18 x 1.5mm pitch.

This has an internal clearance in the transmission of 16.3mm if you are planning on using a tube to fill. I machined up an M18 x 1.5mm adaptor to fit some rigid polyethylene tubing (which I just happened to have) and used a funnel on top of this.

Don't forget to get a large capacity measuring jug to measure what you drain off. I drained off 2.7 litres, filled again with 2.7 litres, drove 6 miles to get it hot, drained off again (without measuring), filled 2,7 litres, drove 6 miles.

I then followed the level checking procedure (remove inner plug with engine idling and in park), About 100 millilitres trickled out then started dripping so that was oil level set and checked.

Note, my adaptor has a flat to ensure that air can escape as the oil is added.

Regards
G

Chris Burmajster   
Fri Jun 03 2011, 05:53pm
Member No: #81
Just had my box done and is now noticeably better than before. Changes both up and down are much smoother. £90 well spent. I'll have this done every 40,000 miles.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club