C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Overheating?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Bishop   
Thu Nov 28 2013, 08:32am
Member No: #868
Driving home last night, I got stuck in very slow, stop-start traffic on the A43 between the run in to Towcester and Northampton. After about 30 mins of this, the STOP warning flashed up along with a warning message on the Navidrive screen saying to turn off the engine immediately as it was overheating. When I switched to the screen with the temperature gauges on it, sure enough, the water gauge was red and at the top of the measure. Luckily, I was just passing the incident that was the cause of the delay and a bit of speed and airflow reduced the temperature. Even though I had another delay later on the M1 (awful journey home!), the problem did not re-occur.

I suspect that the cooling fan did not kick in - when the warnings kicked-off I immediately checked with myself whether I had been aware of it having been on, and I thought not. When I did get home, I checked the fuse for the thermo-cooling fan and it seemed OK. I'll book it in as soon as possible for a proper check over, but does anyone else have any experience of failures in this area. I guess I'm trying to gauge how expensive the fix might end up being .....
C6Dave   
Thu Nov 28 2013, 08:42am

Member No: #1
There is a relay on the radiator for the fan control and it's vulnerable to water and dirt from the road. Check that the connections are all clean

Part Number: 6545 N3 - RP 96 730 286 80

After that, check the thermostat is operating correctly
Website
Bishop   
Wed Dec 04 2013, 08:58am
Member No: #868
Thanks Dave. 'Got the car back from the garage yesterday (E H in Banbury - pretty good, Adrian is a top bloke in terms of customer service) and it proved to be wiring that had come loose. Of course to get at it they had to take some or all of the bumper off, and remove the passenger side headlamp (I can never remember whether that's the off-side ..?) to get at it. Anyway, something to watch for, I'd say - my fear was that if I got stuck in traffic (snow is coming!?) keeping warm with the engine on, then I'd find the car overheating, that would not be a great outcome ...
gmerry   
Wed Dec 04 2013, 10:52am
Member No: #21
Hi all, the fans are part of the air-con operation: so to check the fan relay, switch on the air-con.

Regards
G

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club